• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Changes at Parasound

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... especially the advice on "you should really listen to one of his designs sometime". I didn't know this would've been forward or demeaning, but I will watch out for sure on what I say. I really just want to read stuff anyway. I didn't mean to make anybody feel bad.
I've never considered listening to anything as an arbiter of quality, only measurements do that. Consequently, on more 'subjective' forums, I've been labelled a Measurebater!

Nevertheless, however competent (or otherwise) a design might be, I would always measure it first, and then if it passed those tests as reasonably competent, would I bother to listen to it. I've never bought anything after listening to it without corroborating measurements.

S.

Welcome to ASR.
You did come across like a troll. Easy to do online. Statements like:

will run you into the weeds here. Kind of like singing the praises of Class-D on a SET thread.

"you should really listen to one of his designs sometime" is a typical patronizing statement repeated tirelessly here to imply the poster has invested, or has means to buy, or obtained a special wealth of experienced that invalidates other people's understanding of how electronics operates and human hearing work. Again, imagine going to a random forum, and posting as you did...

You have a JC5 which seems like a pretty good amp. I've never heard one.

I've never considered listening to anything as an arbiter of quality, only measurements do that. Consequently, on more 'subjective' forums, I've been labelled a Measurebater!

Nevertheless, however competent (or otherwise) a design might be, I would always measure it first, and then if it passed those tests as reasonably competent, would I bother to listen to it. I've never bought anything after listening to it without corroborating measurements.

S.
A measurebater, lol. That's funny. For me personally, I've always struggled with how to square measurements with personal tastes. Like years ago, I bought a pair of in ears because of their mirror flat response. But they were so boring to listen to and drab despite their ideal curve. I bought another pair that might have horribly failed testing due to their elevated output at lower frequencies. They just sounded warmer and more satisfying to me personally. I think with my in-ears....and my amp, the trick is in how they voice it. I admire your task of measuring things, but have you ever come across things that don't sound as good as their measurements would lead...or visa versa. Please know it's not a demeaning question...I really want to know your experience, or if you've ever noticed anything like that. I appreciate this conversation and your help on here.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Fine measurements ensure transparency, you may of course not enjoy transparency.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It has, the more interesting question is , how much distortion do you have to add before it becomes audible.
Keith

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well Keith, if you've been following along, this is all a moot point because it's all been solved.
Tell us what problems you think are not yet solved. Since this thread is about Parasound, let us limit the discussion to the categories of products Parasound makes or products John Curl designed for Parasound.

No, the real question is how much distortion just under the typical hearing threshold you can take before you want to throw your equipment out the window

Tell us what problems you think are not yet solved. Since this thread is about Parasound, let us limit the discussion to the categories of products Parasound makes or products John Curl designed for Parasound.
The amplifier is not solved. If it is solved, you tell me what to buy HERE AND NOW.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A measurebater, lol. That's funny. For me personally, I've always struggled with how to square measurements with personal tastes. Like years ago, I bought a pair of in ears because of their mirror flat response. But they were so boring to listen to and drab despite their ideal curve. I bought another pair that might have horribly failed testing due to their elevated output at lower frequencies. They just sounded warmer and more satisfying to me personally. I think with my in-ears....and my amp, the trick is in how they voice it. I admire your task of measuring things, but have you ever come across things that don't sound as good as their measurements would lead...or visa versa. Please know it's not a demeaning question...I really want to know your experience, or if you've ever noticed anything like that. I appreciate this conversation and your help on here.
No I never have. I like plenty of things that don't measure well, like my valves and vinyl, but I have never found anything that measured well, but I didn't like. I actually think that 'boring' equipment is a Good Thing. I don't want excitement in my playback equipment, I want that only in the music. If something measured well but I didn't like it, I would consider that my fault, not that of the equipment, and I should jolly well get to like it.

S.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saying they solved amplification, is like saying they solved cars
Well, I think they have 'solved' cars. Excluding issues of pollution etc, which is inherent in cars anyway, as far as cars as a means of transport goes, they were solved many years ago. Everything in the last 20 years, perhaps longer, have been add-ons for marketing reasons, not for making travel better. People want their new car to have stuff on it they didn't have before, not because they actually need them. In some respects, modern cars are worse than 20 years ago, with so much being controlled on touch-screens and the car being in effects a mobile computer. If the software fails (or more commonly the hardware it runs on), the car won't go.

S.

The way to solve cars is to abolish them.
Keith
Well I'm wondering if the same answer is true for audio equipment. Yes I have a JC5, but I'm not out here saying it's the best thing either. There is no perfect 'solved' solution which is why this forum exists ironically.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saying they solved amplification, is like saying they solved cars
I took @SIY to mean solved in the scientific sense. As in we have a full theoretical understanding of how electronics at the scale of amplifiers work. That doesn’t mean there can’t be engineering improvements (such as engineering class D amps to better withstand some edge cases).

I’m not really qualified to talk about amps being solved, but having designed and simulated a couple, there isn’t any magic in there. We know what will happen changing any given parameter. All questions now come down to engineering and marketing.

This is unlike, say quantum physics or cosmology where there are gaping holes where we just point and say “there be dragons there” (dark matter, black bodies, the great attractor).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
There is amplification without audible distortion and there has been for what forty years, that seems solved to me.
Keith

Well, I think they have 'solved' cars. Excluding issues of pollution etc, which is inherent in cars anyway, as far as cars as a means of transport goes, they were solved many years ago. Everything in the last 20 years, perhaps longer, have been add-ons for marketing reasons, not for making travel better. People want their new car to have stuff on it they didn't have before, not because they actually need them. In some respects, modern cars are worse than 20 years ago, with so much being controlled on touch-screens and the car being in effects a mobile computer. If the software fails (or more commonly the hardware it runs on), the car won't go.

S.
We've solved cars now? I'm learning so much today. How long does your solved car go on a single charge?

I took @SIY to mean solved in the scientific sense. As in we have a full theoretical understanding of how electronics at the scale of amplifiers work. That doesn’t mean there can’t be engineering improvements (such as engineering class D amps to better withstand some edge cases).

I’m not really qualified to talk about amps being solved, but having designed and simulated a couple, there isn’t any magic in there. We know what will happen changing any given parameter. All questions now come down to engineering and marketing.

This is unlike, say quantum physics or cosmology where there are gaping holes where we just point and say “there be dragons there” (dark matter, black bodies, the great attractor).
No, there are new ways and technologies in the future only our grandchildren could hope to understand.

Top Bottom