• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cerwin vega

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Back then, brick-and-mortar audio stores were a reality. They weren't without their problems though, from what I was told: the salesmen would crank the bass tone control as needed to sell speakers.

Flavio

I had a system with five XLS 215's in 2015 and it was awesome for home theater.
I modified one XLS 215 to be a center / base for my TV!

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 74

Gibsonian

Used to own a pair of D9's that I modded a bit cabinet wise and crossover wise with a refoam. Sounded pretty to good to my ears, wish I still had them actually.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in the 1980s a friend had the larger 3 way 'bookshelf' CVs, I coveted them greatly.

of course we were 17 and all we listened to was Rock, or maybe if we were adventurous, Blues Rock. Actually not much has changed there.

I was looking just recently to buy the latest version of them for my A/V set up, but the nearest dealer to the UK is in Paris.

I don't understand why it is so hard to buy American speakers in the UK? It is the same with JBL.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I saw an advertisement for sale of handcrafted speaker stands, found them beautiful and went to get them.
At the house of the gentleman who was selling them to me, I saw that two large Cerwin Vega R10s were sitting on them, with a 1979 label, recondition and with the cloth redone. They were really beautiful, I imagined them playing acdc at full volume in the bedroom of a twenty year old in the early 80s.
I listened to them and the sound was just what I expected, nothing remotely hifi but "full" and satisfying. I added 100 euros to the 50 of the supports and I took them home, if I had to have a party I would know what to use
Screenshot_20230309_074325_it.subito_edit_43274952857978.jpg
Screenshot_20230309_074331_it.subito_edit_43262678603814.jpg

stoo23

I 'Toured' for many years with a PA comprising various Cerwin Vega components and Cabinets and apart from how good the various cabinets were, as a 'Roadie' I could truly appreciate how Light and well made they were (well, in relative terms), compared to how heavy many other systems were, then And now.
There were some 2-way cabinets we used as Side-Fill that sounded amazing, as well as some very capable Small Floor Monitors (Wedges), that were exceptional.

I particularly liked the Bass Cabinets as seen in this pic:
5fca3418a7309d26146258248eed913e.jpg

They 'Coupled extremely well when Stacked and Whilst Only used occasionally Outdoors, the Servo driven 'Earthquake' subs, were extraordinary and worked very well, if but a bit heavy :)
I clearly remember Marty from "The Church", exclaiming happily (the first time I did Stage Monitors for them with the CV system), that it was The First time he had heard his Harmonies with Peter, since they had been together LOL

"Party Speaker" Domestically perhaps but Professionally, they had some exceptionally good components.

DaleMurray

I retailed Cerwin Vega for a couple of years. It sold well to the intended customers it was designed for. Loud and Proud! :D The D9 sold very well for a ~$1200 speaker of the day.
Frequency Response29Hz-20kHz
Power Handling (RMS/Peak)350 watts
Sensitivity (1W/1M)101 dB
Nominal Impedance (ohms)
y7li7dwk5yp3pvbypy6z.jpg

picture-007-copy.preview.jpg
I had a pair of those home wreckers when I was 16 years old. Super efficient.
I was not aware of room placememnt, imaging, etc. They did play Run DMC very well, however.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of ve-5M that I use for computer desktop speakers. Like that they are compact and fit nicely on my desk.

Top Bottom