• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cerwin vega

The Guy who cares

Why Doesn't anybody remember Cerwin Vega?
sl15_1.jpg

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember them... but not necessarily in a positive way.

Sensurround was interesting, but hardly earth shaking... pardon the pun.

OP
T

The Guy who cares

The ones I have are current. I didn't like the sound at first "Muddy". So I added insulation and plugged the rear ports. After that they sound excellent.

OP
T

The Guy who cares

victory_theatre_12_06_18_102.jpg

Abandoned Movie Theater. Those old theaters were the best, excellent sound for movies like Apocalypse Now, Alien and so many others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a pair of Cerwin Vega 313 12" 3-way floor standing speakers that I absolutely loved. Unfortunately, they were stolen in the early 1980's. They were replaced by a pair of Cerwin Vega D5 12" 3-way bookshelves that were also nice but nothing like the 313s. Later I had a pair of Cerwin Vega 12-TR which were freakin' fantastic. About 15 years ago I built a vintage system with a pair of D9 15" 3-ways but I just never got into them. I sold the entire system a few years later. I just remember that they all rocked. I loved their slogan in the 1980's - "Loud Is Beautiful If It's Clean".

Martin

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Cerwin Vegas that I remember were far from hi-fi.

This was back in the 70s and they featured their famous red surrounds on the largest woofers you could fit in the enclosure topped off by a piezo tweeter... the original boom zing speakers. I guess they made some better options as well.

OP
T

The Guy who cares

One movie theater like this one in the 1
The Cerwin Vegas that I remember were far from hi-fi.

This was back in the 70s and they featured their famous red surrounds on the largest woofers you could fit in the enclosure topped off by a piezo tweeter... the original boom zing speakers. I guess they made some better options as well.
The new Cerwin Vega Speakers are still vintage looking and have powerful bass. The only thing is the new speakers like the SL15 (3 way with 15" Woofers have no internal insulation. So you'll need to remove the woofers and add insulation. Once that's done they're crystal clear and excellent for Movies and music without any need for Subwoofers.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
We sold Yamaha NS-xxxx series, Jamo Concert series, Pioneer, Energy and Cerwin Vega!.

CVs were for the boys who wanted a rig to play AC/DC all night and loud. The guys who wanted to build their own bar-room/pool room complete with lit-up glass door drinks fridges, lots of alcohol and car memorabilia carefully hung on the wall. Neon signs and chrome bar stools.

CVs were awesome for that. I don't think I ever saw blown drivers (plenty of blown fuses). A few chewed up foam woofer surrounds from mice and small dogs. Great value party speakers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do, still see them mentioned now and then as well. I even owned a pair back in the 70s....

OP
T

The Guy who cares

We sold Yamaha NS-xxxx series, Jamo Concert series, Pioneer, Energy and Cerwin Vega!.

CVs were for the boys who wanted a rig to play AC/DC all night and loud. The guys who wanted to build their own bar-room/pool room complete with lit-up glass door drinks fridges, lots of alcohol and car memorabilia carefully hung on the wall. Neon signs and chrome bar stools.

CVs were awesome for that. I don't think I ever saw blown drivers (plenty of blown fuses). A few chewed up foam woofer surrounds from mice and small dogs. Great value party Cerwin Vega has fuse so its impossible to blow. The SL-15 are rated at 600 watts into 8 ohms with 94 db sensitivity. It's almost impossible to blow them. I ment remove the 15" Woofers just to add internal insulation and put the woofers back in. Without the installation they sound boxy and boomy. Once the installation is added they sound excellent.

AudiOhm

The first stereo I purchased was in 1980 with a pair of Cerwin Vega HED 123's.

They have been re-foamed and are still working to this day in my sons home...

Ohms

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The first stereo I purchased was in 1980 with a pair of Cerwin Vega HED 123's.

They have been re-foamed and are still working to this day in my sons home...

That's awesome! 97dB efficient and massive cast basket woofers. 43 years old and going strong- wish all speakers were like that.

AudiOhm

Yes 97 dB, they were loud, powered by a Sansui G4700.

If I remember correctly, the kit was purchased from Simply Speakers...

Ohms

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning

CVs were awesome for that. I don't think I ever saw blown drivers (plenty of blown fuses). A few chewed up foam woofer surrounds from mice and small dogs. Great value party speakers.
That's basically how I remember them when I was young and everyone had them. My brother's friend blasting the doors and hendrix on an old pair back in the day. Evidently tradition lives on...

I think Cerwin-Vega! probably loves him more then he loves their speakers. You can sell your entire portfolio of speakers and reach your quarterly sales targets as soon as that guy walks in showroom door. The conversation when he purchased them went like this (probably).

Sales person: "So, sir. Is there any particular pair of speakers in the XLS series you were interested in?"
Customer: "Yes..."
Sales person: "Ok, which ones, then?"
Customer: "Just ship them to me. I mean even the display models. Just ship them all to me. All of them."

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Their newer red surround CLS-215 have actually even well behaving directivity, which is better than on many expensive "audiophile" loudspeakers:

Frequency response, 20Hz - 20kHz (measured @ 2m, plotted @ 1m)
frequency_on1530.gif

Top curve: on-axis response
Middle curve: 15 degrees off-axis response
Bottom curve: 30 degrees off-axis response

Frequency response, 20Hz - 20kHz (measured @ 2m, plotted @ 1m)
frequency_456075.gif

Top curve: 45 degrees off-axis response
Middle curve: 60 degrees off-axis response
Bottom curve: 75 degrees off-axis response

Source of the measurements: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/cerwin_vega_cls-215/

Top Bottom