• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CDs---Grampa's relics?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When it comes to streaming it was fine sacrificing mastering & audio quality for convenience. Nowadays you still sacrifice something for FLAC streaming, the mastering. You know the FLAC streaming services still sucks when a early Time Life/Eric Records CD can sound better.
If you can actually hear audible deficiencies in a music file streamed as FLAC, that has nothing to do with the FLAC format, but rather it is due to bad processing of the digital file / music content at either or both ends of the stream.

threni

Major Contributor
OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
1300 CDs? That would fit onto a 1TB drive as FLAC files.
I estimated 1600 CDs as Apple lossless files on my 512gb flash drive, the same on my Micro SD for the DAP. Folder size per CD hovers around 300mb on average. There are also some mp3 files and a few FLACs. Mono files of CDs average 150mb---Glenn Gould's speedy 1955 Goldberg Variations recording takes up just 81mb as Apple Lossless files. I've got a lot of mono recordings.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can actually hear audible deficiencies in a music file streamed as FLAC, that has nothing to do with the FLAC format, but rather it is due to bad processing of the digital file / music content at either or both ends of the stream.

I think what @ThatM1key is saying is that the FLAC streamed files are indeed lossless, but the mastering is still whatever the streaming service serves up.

threni

Major Contributor
I estimated 1600 CDs as Apple lossless files on my 512gb flash drive, the same on my Micro SD for the DAP. Folder size per CD hovers around 300mb on average. There are also some mp3 files and a few FLACs. Mono files of CDs average 150mb---Glenn Gould's speedy 1955 Goldberg Variations recording takes up just 81mb as Apple Lossless files. I've got a lot of mono recordings.
Gould referred to that recording as "the sins of my youth" and I prefer the slower, better recorded 1981 one too. With a 1TB drive you won't have to choose which one to keep!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think what @ThatM1key is saying is that the FLAC streamed files are indeed lossless, but the mastering is still whatever the streaming service serves up.
I also thought that might be the case, but tried to clarify the unclear description of the problem. We have a lot of ESL members here, and I try to understand and clarify their comments rather than attacking them when the meaning of their words is not obvious. And of course, even for those for whom English is their first language, some people are not always able to elucidate their opinions.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I think it would be nice to have a streaming plan where you can have access to well mastered CDs and SACDs. Buffet of DCC, MFSL, AF, Eric Records and others at your finger taps rather then paying tens to hundreds for a rare CD. At this point FLAC streaming services seem like a novelty to me, its a hit or mess if you'll end up with a good FLAC album.

I'm more of a "Blu-ray" backup guy than "hard-drive" backup guy, I don't trust hard drives ever since I lost my 4TB hard drive. You can get high-quality Verbatim BD-Rs (50x 25GB) for the same price as a 2TB hard drive, 1.6TB or 800GB (For double backups). I'm very certain a good BD-R can outlast a hard drive. Linus from Linus Tech Tip's office server (which had few dozen hard drives) recently started to fail due to a few hard drives dying in a ZFS/NAS, those were server grade hard drives and they still died like a consumer hard drive.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have two local hard drive backups and one in the cloud. I trust Microsoft to backup their servers better than I do. No local backup, hard drive, optical disk or otherwise will survive a fire unless you put it somewhere else. Business, like Microsoft, always have off site backup.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I have two local hard drive backups and one in the cloud. I trust Microsoft to backup their servers better than I do. No local backup, hard drive, optical disk or otherwise will survive a fire unless you put it somewhere else. Business, like Microsoft, always have off site backup.
That is true but fireboxes do exist.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I’d rather live in the town where your weekend place is than in the big city. It costs less and I could turn the system up,louder
Your choice is not mine. We enjoy the peace and quiet of the weekend place but not for more than 2-3days at a time. We prefer the city for all its options, we can afford it and I play my system as loud as I want to (albeit not at all hours of the night).

Wanna buy the house? I can throw in the A/V system. :cool:

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Your choice is not mine. We enjoy the peace and quiet of the weekend place but not for more than 2-3days at a time. We prefer the city for all its options, we can afford it and I play my system as loud as I want to (albeit not at all hours of the night).

That would be tempting if I still lived there.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Or sell the A/V system and throw in the house.. ;)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Same. Inveterate city boy, here. 2 to 3 days is about my limit too. Friends send me "aren't you jealous?" photos of them lounging at the back of their cottage, and all I can think is "thanks but no thanks." I'd need to get out of there after not too long. (Love to visit for short times, but would hate to own or spend tons of time in the country. I start to feel "stuck" and isolated and I need city stimulation).

I do feel very fortunate to own a detached house downtown so I can still crank it. (In fact, the thing I did my first night in our "new house" was to crank the music as loud as possible, step outside my house and I could barely hear a thing. It was so wonderful after years of living in apartments and having to be mindful of other tenants when playing music).

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same. Inveterate city boy, here. 2 to 3 days is about my limit too. Friends send me "aren't you jealous?" photos of them lounging at the back of their cottage, and all I can think is "thanks but no thanks." I'd need to get out of there after not too long. (Love to visit for short times, but would hate to own or spend tons of time in the country. I start to feel "stuck" and isolated and I need city stimulation).

I do feel very fortunate to own a detached house downtown so I can still crank it. (In fact, the thing I did my first night in our "new house" was to crank the music as loud as possible, step outside my house and I could barely hear a thing. It was so wonderful after years of living in apartments and having to be mindful of other tenants when playing music).
The reason we never downsized when our children left home (20 years ago now) was we have two “music rooms” at opposite sides of the house. One with Hi-Fi and the other with piano etc, music can be played in either without being heard in the other.
We are in a town though, 2 supermarkets and several good restos and pubs within walking distance and parking for a dozen cars which is much more expensive in a city…

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason we never downsized when our children left home (20 years ago now) was we have two “music rooms” at opposite sides of the house. One with Hi-Fi and the other with piano etc, music can be played in either without being heard in the other.
We are in a town though, 2 supermarkets and several good restos and pubs within walking distance and parking for a dozen cars which is much more expensive in a city…
Sad to say, but the primary reason I might not downsize is because I like having multiple systems in multiple rooms. Plotting a takeover of my son’s room now that he’s graduating high school. A pair of La Scalas would look nice in there… ;)

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Been some time since I first started up this discussion.

Went to Rainy Day Records with a handful of special digital discs---DVD-A, SACD, even a couple of BluRay audio discs. This was on a Saturday, so I got a guy behind the counter looking angry at the world. Said they were worthless.

Have started subdividing my CDs into "I don't want to keep" and a larger set of "what the hell, I can play them in my car". So, I go between the library with "don't wanna keep" and doing the same at Value Village (a thrift store) getting a 20% discount on their stuff, much of it worth the effort. This involves dropping off a handful at a time for both places. Things are slowly slimming down, I'm keeping the BluRays of Beck's "Sea Change" and Tears For Fears "Songs From the Big Chair", awaiting the visual interface necessary to play them. My Sony BluRay player has no problem playing back single layer SACDs, but DVD-A is not an option until I get a screen for the menu.

Meanwhile, I still buy CDs if they're cheap enough. CDs at the library are always $1 a disc. The Timberland Public Library in Lacey gets a lot of stuff cast off by people from the local college---St. Martin's---so there's always interesting books and CDs there for $1 a pop.

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
Been some time since I first started up this discussion.

Went to Rainy Day Records with a handful of special digital discs---DVD-A, SACD, even a couple of BluRay audio discs. This was on a Saturday, so I got a guy behind the counter looking angry at the world. Said they were worthless.

Have started subdividing my CDs into "I don't want to keep" and a larger set of "what the hell, I can play them in my car". So, I go between the library with "don't wanna keep" and doing the same at Value Village (a thrift store) getting a 20% discount on their stuff, much of it worth the effort. This involves dropping off a handful at a time for both places. Things are slowly slimming down, I'm keeping the BluRays of Beck's "Sea Change" and Tears For Fears "Songs From the Big Chair", awaiting the visual interface necessary to play them. My Sony BluRay player has no problem playing back single layer SACDs, but DVD-A is not an option until I get a screen for the menu.

Meanwhile, I still buy CDs if they're cheap enough. CDs at the library are always $1 a disc. The Timberland Public Library in Lacey gets a lot of stuff cast off by people from the local college---St. Martin's---so there's always interesting books and CDs there for $1 a pop.
I would hang onto all the "special digital discs" (DVD-A, SACD, BluRay audio) these could very well be the best digital versions of this music released to the public and due to their limited quantities are often very collectable. Look what is going on with prices of original pressings of LP's.

Top Bottom