• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CDs---Grampa's relics?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I dumped my LP collection before moving north to Washington State. I knew that whatever place I was about to move to, there wouldn't be room for it. On top of that, after years of transferring analog discs of all sorts to digital media---had a little side hustle doing transfers for other people---I gave up on that particular physical media. Don't cry for me, I don't miss it.

I hung on to most of my CDs. I also ripped most of what I want to hear out of over 2000 CDs. Because of storage issues, I've been trying to get rid of them. I'm finding used stores don't want to buy them. I've given some to the library, where they hang out on the $1 shelve week after week. I gave some away to folks I play music with. And they really haven't played much of them at all.

Say what you will about the moral issues around reselling stuff, that's not the issue I'm pointing to here. It's that CDs are currently relegated to the market position of 78s. When I was a child, 78s were Grampa's and children's records. I don't know if there's kiddie records anymore, there's probably internet gaming filling in the space once occupied by little, multicolored 45s and 78s. CDs appear to have become Grandpa's discs, now that the owner of said discs is a grandpa himself. It really shouldn't feel quite so strange, I'm not playing the CDs myself, I'm not lecturing about loss of potential sound quality via streaming because I've noticed the quality of streaming constantly improving, at least with the type of music I usually listen to. Still, it's very strange contemplating that discs I thought to be worth collecting turn out to be close to worthless on the open market. I thought I was a collector, when all along I really was a hoarder. All I can say in my defense is that back in the early 2000's, when I got the bulk of my discs, streaming wasn't really an option.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Same boat and I bet we have plenty of company. Streaming has completely displaced all Music content and is slowly drilling down on Movie content. I remember when a 4800 baud modem from CSC cost about 4 large and to transfer a few Megs it took hours and hours on dial up connection. Times, they are a changing! ;)

1645393839100.jpeg

concorde1

I still buy lots of CD's and I'm only 26. I only sell those I decide I don't want and I delete my rips of them too. I sell them individually online and get about what I paid for them, occasionally more.

It was hard to decide whether to keep my physical discs as well as my files, but I ended up keeping them due to law.

I dislike streaming.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was an early digital adopter and ripped close to 1000 of my CDs to disk back when disk sizes maxed out at 1 or 2 digit GB. Space was limited and I believed the hype that MP3s were close enough to CD quality so naturally ripped them all at lower quality. It's taken years to replace or just delete all those files for what I care about but now that I've got real internet (and it only happened because of Covid) streaming has displaced a good amount of my physical library.

I was lucky enough to hold onto most of my records having a place to store them but they hardly ever get played either unless some young person really wants to hear something from an LP on my system.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I was an early digital adopter and ripped close to 1000 of my CDs to disk back when disk sizes maxed out at 1 or 2 digit GB. Space was limited and I believed the hype that MP3s were close enough to CD quality so naturally ripped them all at lower quality. It's taken years to replace or just delete all those files for what I care about but now that I've got real internet (and it only happened because of Covid) streaming has displaced a good amount of my physical library.

I was lucky enough to hold onto most of my records having a place to store them but they hardly ever get played either unless some young person really wants to hear something from an LP on my system.
I slowly started making Apple Lossless files, so there about a half a terabyte's worth of 'em, with a little MP3 and FLAC thrown into the mix. 512gb of Micro SD goes for about $80. Crazy.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
CDs are the new vinyl.
More like 78s. Vinyl is the new "Black". When that illusion fades away, expect a lot of fire sales.

DonR

Major Contributor
More like 78s. Vinyl is the new "Black". When that illusion fades away, expect a lot of fire sales.
Definitely the early stuff that was very poorly transferred. Probably going to see a lot of disc rot as well in the next decade or so.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
Definitely the early stuff that was very poorly transferred. Probably going to see a lot of disc rot as well in the next decade or so.
No, disc rot is only a thing for a limited number of very early CDs. I'm saying that LPs are currently in fashion now, and eventually they will go out of fashion. There are more collectible aspects to LPs, they are also more inconsistent pressing to pressing, so a very limited number of LPs will have outrageous pricing. But most of what's being churned out now will be of little value because LPs are mostly a fashion statement as of 2022.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find myself agreeing with much said here. Since I got Qobuz I find that I don't buy that many CDs anymore, but do use my NAS with >1000 Cds ripped for music, a lot not on Qobuz. I rarely play my 600+ LPs. But to that end look what happened to vinyl. I say keep the CDs you think are good after ripping them. I found the perfect box that holds 85-90 depending on width of the jewel cases with edge label visible/readable in the box and fully loaded, compact and not too heavy to move around. Just in case you are a hoarder like me waiting for the CD come back here is the link to Staples, 25 boxes for $18 >2000 CD capacity.

TBone

Major Contributor
But most of what's being churned out now will be of little value because LPs are mostly a fashion statement as of 2022.

Heard that before ... lp sales have soured in my neighborhood, have done years before being branded a "fashion" statement ... even investing & building new pressing plants nearby ... they sell well here bc people prefer the packaging/tangibility of vinyl.

DonR

Major Contributor
No, disc rot is only a thing for a limited number of very early CDs. I'm saying that LPs are currently in fashion now, and eventually they will go out of fashion. There are more collectible aspects to LPs, they are also more inconsistent pressing to pressing, so a very limited number of LPs will have outrageous pricing. But most of what's being churned out now will be of little value because LPs are mostly a fashion statement as of 2022.
I have seen rot in DVDs usually via delamination so I would expect it in CDs as well even from the newer era.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I find myself agreeing with much said here. Since I got Qobuz I find that I don't buy that many CDs anymore, but do use my NAS with >1000 Cds ripped for music, a lot not on Qobuz. I rarely play my 600+ LPs. But to that end look what happened to vinyl. I say keep the CDs you think are good after ripping them. I found the perfect box that holds 85-90 depending on width of the jewel cases with edge label visible/readable in the box and fully loaded, compact and not too heavy to move around. Just in case you are a hoarder like me waiting for the CD come back here is the link to Staples, 25 boxes for $18 >2000 CD capacity.
What I miss are the 25 count cartons for Memorex's empty Jewel cases, got them at Office Depot until they stopped carrying that particular package, used them when I made needledrops for others. Stackable, also useful for subdividing CDs by musical category.

OIP.jpg

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
I have seen rot in DVDs usually via delamination so I would expect it in CDs as well even from the newer era.
I've worked in music stores selling all forms of physical media for decades, encounter it rarely, almost always Nimbus recordings from the birth of the CD. Mostly a myth with just enough traction to keep it running, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
A record can last 100 years while a CD can technically last forever

What I miss are the 25 count cartons for Memorex's empty Jewel cases, got them at Office Depot until they stopped carrying that particular package, used them when I made needledrops for others. Stackable, also useful for subdividing CDs by musical category.

View attachment 188083
Verbatim still makes them. 50 pack for $12

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
A record can last 100 years while a CD can technically last forever

Verbatim still makes them. 50 pack for $12
I don't think you understand---it's the empty, 25 count boxes I wanted to store my CDs. About half of the CDs I've got in storage in a closet are in those 25 count boxes.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Meh, while of grandpa age not one....but still like cds as a source, easily obtained lossless files at a good price. Helluva lot better than any 78, tho

Top Bottom