• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Carver Crimson 275 Review (Tube Amp)

Rate this amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 379 95.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.3%

• Total voters

Greg P

'while delivering music into loudspeaker loads.'

Not so objective though, is it? .......
No, but I couldn't guess whether this was some "audiophile" market speak or another attempt to sidle by reality.

AudioTodd

DFW,

The thread is very long and you may have missed it...

Bob, yes Bob himself, has offered to correct the grounding for those who are concerned that the amp needs modification.
(Free shipping both ways)
He has also, personally, offered a full refund to those who wish to return their amplifier to him.

One the posters (an owner of the amp) is also responsible for similar threads on other sites.
It is unclear if he has sent his amp in for repair or for a refund, yet continues to post about how
concerned he is for his safety. I believe an update would be appropriate.

Some of the marketing materials have been updated to reflect the overstated specifications.

A majority of the posts have been speculative (safety) and by people who can't resist the negative group think.
The questions you have asked are reasonable but will continue to be met with resistance, often accompanied with
personal attacks. (I look forward to the negative responses to my statements followed by "likes" of the mob)
The talk of litigation and safety fraud would have to be substantiated by actually shorting an amp and measuring
the voltage on the chassis - nobody is willing to do this. It is much easier to reply with a 'face palm'.

This entire thread is reminiscent of the Audi 5000 claims of the mid 1980's
The difference being the litigators and their experts actually tried to replicate the claims made without success.
Forty years later, each of us must press the brake when starting our cars and when shifting to drive.
No truth here except possibly the irrelevant Audi comments, but my memory isn't good enough to remember the details of that incident

What number was I???

Greg P

Ahh, he is showing a high degree of technical competency in single-digit ordering. What's next, a treatise on the safe design of the 275? It's magical sound-manipulating properties? Or another treatise on the benevolence of the Bob Carter Corporation and its dealer network?

traderitch

No truth here except possibly the irrelevant Audi comments, but my memory isn't good enough to remember the details of that incident

What number was I???
Oh I am sorry - your response was not anticipated...

Please tell me what is not truthful.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Oh I am sorry - your response was not anticipated...

Enough for this thread...

If you can enjoy the rest of the site, feel free. So far, you've only posted in this thread, so a break might be just the thing so you don't go full troll on us.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DFW,

The thread is very long and you may have missed it...

Bob, yes Bob himself, has offered to correct the grounding for those who are concerned that the amp needs modification.
(Free shipping both ways)
He has also, personally, offered a full refund to those who wish to return their amplifier to him.

One the posters (an owner of the amp) is also responsible for similar threads on other sites.
It is unclear if he has sent his amp in for repair or for a refund, yet continues to post about how
concerned he is for his safety. I believe an update would be appropriate.

Some of the marketing materials have been updated to reflect the overstated specifications.

A majority of the posts have been speculative (safety) and by people who can't resist the negative group think.
The questions you have asked are reasonable but will continue to be met with resistance, often accompanied with
personal attacks. (I look forward to the negative responses to my statements followed by "likes" of the mob)
The talk of litigation and safety fraud would have to be substantiated by actually shorting an amp and measuring
the voltage on the chassis - nobody is willing to do this. It is much easier to reply with a 'face palm'.

This entire thread is reminiscent of the Audi 5000 claims of the mid 1980's
The difference being the litigators and their experts actually tried to replicate the claims made without success.
Forty years later, each of us must press the brake when starting our cars and when shifting to drive.

This is an unfortunate comment you've made, because it so thoroughly mixes together factual statements, reasonable/measured summaries of the situation, and misleading or flawed claims.

The posts about safety are "speculative" only because it is rare for anyone to be injured by ungrounded or improperly grounded electrical equipment. If we are to follow your logic that grounding safety concerns expressed in this thread are "speculative" in your clearly intended sense of "unproven/hypothetical," then we would have to argue that all grounding-safety regulations are unnecessary and should be either ignored or made optional or not required for CE/UL certification. So in my view you are spreading a kind of FUD here - you are trying to argue that there is something shady or uninformed or uncertain about the grounding problems that have been discussed with regard to this amp, when that's actually not the case.

You are also simply incorrect when you claim that the questions DFW has asked "will continue to be met with resistance," since the only questions DFW has actually raised are (1) what are the meanings of the words "slander" and "defamation" and (2) what are the chances of being electrocuted by an improperly grounded device.

The first question is irrelevant to this thread, but members have answered it anyway - which goes directly against the picture you are trying to paint of the membership here. The second question has been answered repeatedly.

Overall it seems to me that you are engaging in a very common rhetorical tactic - and I hasten to add that I am not claiming you are doing so in a cynical or mean-spirted way, but I think you are doing it nonetheless: you are claiming that important known facts are still unknown and that key answered questions are still unanswered, in order to try to position yourself at The Last Reasonable Man, who is just trying to chart a logical, dispassionate course in the face of extremists and ad hominem attackers.

I can understand why thinking of your role that way would be pleasant or satisfying, but it does not match up with the facts in evidence in the thread.

ECHO3933

I'm buying a Crimson 275 and opening up my own KT-88 tube repair business. Send my those blown KT 88's, only $20.00 per tube!

Disclaimer: The Crimson 275 can only repair power tubes; if you have blown signal tubes you are SOL. But seriously, if it really could repair tubes, can you imagine the amount of money that technology could generate. Someone get inside that 15 wpc beast and figure out Bob's invention!
:D

DanielT

Major Contributor
Exciting...

This Carver Crimson 275 blockbuster is it fiction or based on real events?

OaH (1).gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom