• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can we imitate loudness dial?

flowolf

I don't own a minidsp, but afaik it can not! However, you can generate a presets for low-level listening, but this is not dynamic.
In my opinion, this is one of the biggest drawbacks of the Minidsp .

The only other devices with proper loudness integration are the RME ADI-2 DAC or Pro.

OP
A

alaios

I am trying minidsp precooked loudness eq. I really like what I hear from my system.... Probably is not optimal but seems to be still big improvement

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We've a Yamaha A-S700 and the loudness control works OK down to about 9 o'clock. Certainly it provides that little bit of wiggle room when the main volume dial can't really be turned any lower else everything sounds like crap. Kind of get the feeling the speakers are at least being moved, then dial the loudness back to just take the edge off the volume.
I must say that it is only used hen the volume is at low levels, where voices ever so slightly raised, can have a conversation over it.

I should shove an ADC into the headphone out, turn off the speakers and just play some white noise through. Turn the loudness dial down and measure average RMS or average dB at 1kHz, then plot the graphs. Alas amp is in one room, ADC and PC in another...

A-S300
index.php

An old Yamaha amp from the 70s
audio_1974-09_Yamaha-1000_f9.jpg

Looks to me like a bell/peaking filter ~ 1 kHz and a high shelf filter. The trick is getting them to tie together at the right ratio.

OP
A

alaios

oh then my understanding is that it has a very nice implementation :)

Top Bottom