• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can this Test actually answer the title of the video - Do all CD player sound the same?

JRS

Major Contributor
Low entry to mid level players 1992-2004 , they definitely sounds different.
Not what testing has shown--even the original Phillips/Magnavox was indistinguishable from more modern brethren. Unfortunately I can't find the link, but several posters here have referred to the study--however ****** we might remember them, they weren't that bad, and more than competent enough. I've got a tube hybrid Luxman from early nineties that I plan to bring out of retirement, tho have only a handful of CD's. Not sure where they went.

What was your experience?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Remember doing a lot of comparison back in the 1st generation of CD player days circa 1984/85/86

And differing players definitely sounded different - but it was by no means at the order of magnitude of turntables and cassette decks (the other main sources of that time)

Things got better later on - but the best of the 1st generation are competitive with stuff being made now...
No controls. No controls. No controls. Your claim is absolutely empty. Merely repeating it makes it no more true.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DACs of CD players produced in 80s or 90s were not as good as they are today surely, and might be introducing some coloring to the sound?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
DACs of CD players produced in 80s or 90s were not as good as they are today surely, and might be introducing some coloring to the sound?
Often stated, never backed up with actual evidence. If memory serves, @restorer-john may have given it a go and came up with "couldn't tell the difference."

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Once you use their Digital output - they all sound alike. IF you use their analogue outputs, then you are effectively listening to those analogues circuits, and there can be differences...

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you use their Digital output - they all sound alike. IF you use their analogue outputs, then you are effectively listening to those analogues circuits, and there can be differences...
Measurable differences? Yes. Audible differences? Only if the CD player is doing something very, very wrong.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget that the PlayStation was actually measured:

John Atkinson's conclusion is that the low-level compression from the linearity error along with noise masked problems with "typical CD sound quality." His last sentence is pretty important: "it sounded relaxed and informative in a manner I would not have expected from this measured performance."

It's worth thinking about the Sony's PlayStation's sound signature and my own measurements of the TA-ZH1ES which has better channel matching than even the E1DA Cosmos ADC (showing thoughtful effort) and is far from transparent.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Measurable differences? Yes. Audible differences? Only if the CD player is doing something very, very wrong.
Years ago (1980's) - I remember going around and listening to different CD players through my headphones

There were noticeable differences between them using my headphones and the headphone jacks on the players - BUT - the primary difference was probably the HP Amp circuit, and how well it mated with my headphones rather than the CD player itself.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There were noticeable differences between them using my headphones and the headphone jacks on the players - BUT - the primary difference was probably the HP Amp circuit, and how well it mated with my headphones rather than the CD player itself.

This is true. When I too got 'serious' about listening to 'differences' in CD players, I initially went the path of the matched level headphone outputs, but quickly realised the differences were the headphone stages and their drive abilities, plus the time taken to plug/unplug.

Then went to level adjustment on the players themselves, but the good ones used analogue level and the bad ones used digital attenuation (usually audible distortion at high levels of attenuation as they were just chucking bits out).

Variable analog attenuation made the output impedances variable and introduced audible differences into normal preamps. High input impedance preamplifiers helped, but it wasn't until I hooked up an array of CD players to one of my older but high performance preamplifiers, one that has active buffering on every line input and a THD and noise well below that of CD players did the playing field become truly level.

No matter what I tried in the past and now more recently with older ears, could I reliably detect differences between matched level CD players, outputing commercial and identical discs, played in real time on either loudspeakers of various types or headphones. The only cues were non musical and only could be heard during cue-up, pause and lead-in before the music started and only if you wound the levels up to ridiculous. You may hear a tiny electrical disturbance from servo currents or a super low level mute click that was different in one player to another.

I used mainly Sony players of various vintages and line-up hierarchy because their remote codes have remained constant and a single remote can operate all sync'd players instantly. The same was done with Pioneer and Yamaha as I have plenty of those brand players too.

I've confirmed to my satisfaction that original 1st generation Sony CDP-101s that are performing well (I've got 3+2), perform exactly the same as they did in 1982. I have several other 1st gen machines, including a few Akai CD-D1s (Kyocera OEM), various Philips and I've compared my tests (using the same test discs) produce essentially the same numbers as the early technical reviews.

Attempting to 'prove' CD players sound alike or different to one another is fraught. Because you have to capture the output at some point, digitize and distribute those files for others to 'critique'. If you use commercial* music, people will say it's not revealing enough or they will run the files through a DAW and look for differences and claim that 'proves' players don't sound the same- yet they didn't listen- their software did...

And if you use test signals, I can guarantee you, most ASR 'experts' will analyse the files first and listen later, only to confirm their 'findings'. Tiny level differences, well below audibility can be detected in software. Even microvolt differences between channels on otherwise level matched players is enough to provide a 'difference' people would home in on.

Or they will claim the A/D conversion is not 'transparent' enough to show the differences they supposedly can hear.

*And you have issue of distributing copyrighted content.

Last edited:
Top Bottom