• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can resistors add impedance to a speaker

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I haven't personally seen or read about an amplifier unstable into low-impedance loads for some time (years). Higher distortion occurs if the amplifier cannot deliver the needed power, but that does not mean it is unstable. Current or thermal limiting usually cuts in when power limits are exceeded.

dfuller

Major Contributor
To continue the subject, and this is a hypothetical question, I’ve never liked the sound of overly complex crossovers. There is some corroboration for this on the net with people reporting similar views that big inductors take away something from the sound, crossovers can introduce crossover distortion, phase reversal, ringing etc.
Yeah, no. Badly designed crossovers can certainly sound bad, but the rest of this doesn't make sense. I'll go through it.
big inductors take away something from the sound
That's not how that works. Inductors are used mostly as low pass filters in passive crossovers. The value corresponds with the T-S parameters of the driver, the desired crossover corner frequency, etc etc.
crossovers can introduce crossover distortion
Amps add crossover distortion. If you mean the components in the crossover adding distortion, then sure, poor quality ferrous core inductors and inappropriate capacitors can... But otherwise, no. Chances are good it'd be swamped by the distortion inherent in the actual drivers though - exceptional drivers have 0.1% distortion.

crossovers can introduce [...] phase reversal, ringing etc.
All filters do this because all filters ring, and all non-FIR filters rotate phase. Each pole rotates phase 90 degrees. Thankfully, we are almost entirely immune to phase rotation unless truly pathological. But if this concerns you, use a FIR DSP crossover where phase and magnitude can be adjusted separately, or do what PSI does and cascade all-pass filters after an analog active crossover to linearize the phase.
When using low impedance drivers smaller and simpler crossovers can be implemented.
Non sequitur. Unrelated.
Would there be any improvements in sound quality by using simple crossovers with very low impedance drivers
No. In fact, simple crossovers are usually worse in most respects! You end up with drivers playing stuff at significant level that they really don't want to, along with a wide stopband - which means the drivers will interfere with each other more. This shows up in off-axis measurements - as well as on axis if it's bad enough!

Would you say active crossovers is the way to go, are they better than passives. would require more amplifiers and more expense
Yes. Active crossovers are substantially better in all regards. The crossover doesn't rely on the driver's electromechanical qualities, the amp is connected directly to the driver, you can do both positive and negative EQ to correct response, you can correct for filter phase rotation (whether or not this is necessary is another story), you can integrate driver protection limiters. I see little reason these days to use a passive crossover if you don't need to.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's the one I used, available cheap if anyone wants it: 13.6 inches long :facepalm:
Electronics-Salon 300W 4 OHM Audio Power Amplifier Test Dummy Load, Non-inductive 300 Watts Resistor.

41UmOSdwDzL.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One key thing that people seem to have missed here, is that there are a heck of a lot of amps that aren't stable into low impedance loads - the distortion rises substantially - so sometimes, it isn't an issue of power wasted, but of shifting the amp into its "stable" impedance zone, and thereby providing improved performance.... - so yes there could be benefits from putting a simple resistor into the circuit... (and yes it will waste power, and it will require a "beefy" resistor)
Or use the 8 ohm hookup and don't bother with anything else. You get the same power to the speakers for free.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Or use the 8 ohm hookup and don't bother with anything else. You get the same power to the speakers for free.
Sure but if your speakers have low impedance dips, and your amp gets unstable into low impedances.... the sound will degrade.

Putting a fat resistor there, to raise the minimum impedance to at least 4ohm, will ensure that you keep the amp in its "stable" zone...

Lots of amps don't like impedances below 3ohm.... they get cranky.... (in the case of my AVR, the sound was "congested", soundstage collapsed, and it lost clarity in the midrange vocal/dialogue zone.... all of which went away once I put an external amp rated for 2 ohm in place...)

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I haven't personally seen or read about an amplifier unstable into low-impedance loads for some time (years). Higher distortion occurs if the amplifier cannot deliver the needed power, but that does not mean it is unstable. Current or thermal limiting usually cuts in when power limits are exceeded.
When you have an amp rated at 100W +, running into your nominal 4 ohm speakers, with a 1.6ohm minimum, and it runs things without any trouble at reference levels... but doesn't sound great... then you replace it with an amp rated at 2ohm - and suddenly the sound totally clears up, and sounds the way your system should.... My suspicion is a stability issue.

Why do I suspect stability.... well first of all it achieves reference levels, and achieving them in my room with my speakers takes no more than circa 8W@4ohm... Peaks are easily achieved at 32W@4ohm - so power is not a concern, the amp is easily rated for these requirements.
Also there is no limiting kicking in (at least no visibly) - the monitoring is not showing the protection mode kicking in (which would be pretty obvious).

So what is causing the obvious reduction in sound quality?!

The amp is an Integra DRX3.4.... replacing the amp stage with either a Crown XLS2500 or a Quad 606 completely resolved the problem. Crown is rated 1200W@2ohm, Quad 90W@2ohm, Integra is NOT rated at 2 ohm - specified only for speakers of 4ohm to 8ohm... I'm sure the Integra is lacking in current, it has a small & lightweight power supply.... but at the levels I am trying to run it at, it should be able to provide enough current.

So yeah, I suspect issues with the feedback loops ... aka instability.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure but if your speakers have low impedance dips, and your amp gets unstable into low impedances.... the sound will degrade.

Putting a fat resistor there, to raise the minimum impedance to at least 4ohm, will ensure that you keep the amp in its "stable" zone...

Lots of amps don't like impedances below 3ohm.... they get cranky.... (in the case of my AVR, the sound was "congested", soundstage collapsed, and it lost clarity in the midrange vocal/dialogue zone.... all of which went away once I put an external amp rated for 2 ohm in place...)
So are you speaking of some undefined speaker? Or are trying to answer the OPs question? He has a choice of a 2 ohm load or 8 ohms. His amp doesn't like 2 ohms apparently. Your choices are add a resistor wasting roughly half the power or use 8 ohm connections getting probably half the power or a little less depending upon the amp. The amp sees 4 ohms half being wasted or sees 8 ohm producing half the power without the waste.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
So are you speaking of some undefined speaker? Or are trying to answer the OPs question? He has a choice of a 2 ohm load or 8 ohms. His amp doesn't like 2 ohms apparently. Your choices are add a resistor wasting roughly half the power or use 8 ohm connections getting probably half the power or a little less depending upon the amp. The amp sees 4 ohms half being wasted or sees 8 ohm producing half the power without the waste.
Heck if there is an existing 8ohm connection (yes I missed that!) - then I would absolutely use that and move on!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Heck if there is an existing 8ohm connection (yes I missed that!) - then I would absolutely use that and move on!
He has two voice coils. Paralleled as 2 ohms or series connected as 8 ohms. His amp is apparently okay at 4 ohms, not at 2 ohms.

OP
J

john11

I like your points, i was just looking at the situation from a theoretical point of view : pros and cons of simple and complex crossovers into low impedance loads, and effects on amp stability. Can't find much about it on the other forums. Thanks !

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
When you have an amp rated at 100W +, running into your nominal 4 ohm speakers, with a 1.6ohm minimum, and it runs things without any trouble at reference levels... but doesn't sound great... then you replace it with an amp rated at 2ohm - and suddenly the sound totally clears up, and sounds the way your system should.... My suspicion is a stability issue.

Why do I suspect stability.... well first of all it achieves reference levels, and achieving them in my room with my speakers takes no more than circa 8W@4ohm... Peaks are easily achieved at 32W@4ohm - so power is not a concern, the amp is easily rated for these requirements.
Also there is no limiting kicking in (at least no visibly) - the monitoring is not showing the protection mode kicking in (which would be pretty obvious).

So what is causing the obvious reduction in sound quality?!

The amp is an Integra DRX3.4.... replacing the amp stage with either a Crown XLS2500 or a Quad 606 completely resolved the problem. Crown is rated 1200W@2ohm, Quad 90W@2ohm, Integra is NOT rated at 2 ohm - specified only for speakers of 4ohm to 8ohm... I'm sure the Integra is lacking in current, it has a small & lightweight power supply.... but at the levels I am trying to run it at, it should be able to provide enough current.

So yeah, I suspect issues with the feedback loops ... aka instability.
Did you measure the Integra to ensure it was not clipping? And look for oscillations or other signs of instability? That sounds like a power limitation, not a stability issue. "Lacking in current" is a power limitation, not a stability issue. I do not know where you get your power numbers, but bass takes much more power than midrange, is very dependent upon the source material, and peaks can easily be 50 to 100 times higher in power than the average level. Clipping on peaks will make he sound harsh and so forth.

Without measurements, it's only your opinion against mine, so you do you. The good news is you were able to fix it by using an amplifier with higher power capability.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Did you measure the Integra to ensure it was not clipping? And look for oscillations or other signs of instability? That sounds like a power limitation, not a stability issue. "Lacking in current" is a power limitation, not a stability issue. I do not know where you get your power numbers, but bass takes much more power than midrange, is very dependent upon the source material, and peaks can easily be 50 to 100 times higher in power than the average level. Clipping on peaks will make he sound harsh and so forth.

Without measurements, it's only your opinion against mine, so you do you. The good news is you were able to fix it by using an amplifier with higher power capability.
Clipping is a very obvious and distinctive (horrible!!!) sound signature - this sounded OK... average person would probably say the setup sounded fine - but having run the setup with other amps/AVR's I recognised it could sound better - and could identify aspects that were less than ideal.

No I do not have the tools with which to determine whether it was clipping (other than by ear).

In terms of power limitations, my Crown amp has signal level LED's at the 4W, and 16W levels - when running music at my normal listening level (circa 72dbA at MLP) - the 4W LED occasionally lights up/flickers, the 16W LED NEVER lights up (never even flickers).

So I know how much power is required to drive my speakers.... and it is extremely unlikely that a 100W AVR is going to clip at my personal reference level (72db)

The other thing to consider, is that the flaws I identified and remedied were all relating to the midrange, vocal/dialogue frequencies.
Bass was not obviously deficient.

My speakers are Gallo Nucleus Reference 3.2's - Nominally 4 ohm, with a dip to 3 ohm at the woofer crossover, and a serious dip to 1.63 ohm on the tweeter (which is also capacitive, to further cause potential difficulties with amps)

Midrange is provided by 2 "quackers" (love that term, sad that it dropped out of usage!) - running parallel, and mechanically crossed over to the CDT tweeter.

Review of these speakers from years back, often tout how good they sound with puny valve amps... but the speakers original designer, used to demo them with 500W powerhouse amps (500W @ 8ohm doubling down into 4ohm and again into 2 ohm )

The common thread in amps that do well with these speakers, seems to be stability into low impedances, and high current... high power appears to be an irrelevancy (although high power amps, often have ample current too...)

Note: there was no harshness to the sound - that would indicate clipping I agree!

The degradation was (I'm repeating myself...but!) - a sort of congestion in the midrange, a lack of clarity... for those inclined to those terms, a "veiling" of the sound - it made vocals / dialogue more difficult to understand, and also impacted on soundstage and imaging....

Alternate amps, "lifted the veil", improving vocals/dialogue, soundstaging and imaging, while keeping bass and highs the same.

This is old fashioned diagnosis without sophisticated measurement tools!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Clipping is a very obvious and distinctive (horrible!!!) sound signature - this sounded OK... average person would probably say the setup sounded fine - but having run the setup with other amps/AVR's I recognised it could sound better - and could identify aspects that were less than ideal.
No, not necessarily. It is often fleeting and imparts just a harsh overtone or buzz to the sound. It is often perceived as simply making the sound "less clear" or "foggy".

No I do not have the tools with which to determine whether it was clipping (other than by ear).
OK.

In terms of power limitations, my Crown amp has signal level LED's at the 4W, and 16W levels - when running music at my normal listening level (circa 72dbA at MLP) - the 4W LED occasionally lights up/flickers, the 16W LED NEVER lights up (never even flickers).
Peaks may clip without indicators -- it depends upon how the clipping indicators are designed. While I do not know the specifics of Crown's current designs, IME they (Crown, and pro amps in general) are designed to light when clipping is more sustained than for very brief periods like a cycle or three. Note that the peak to average ratio of music is around 17 dB, a factor of 50, so at 4 W the amp could be outputting peaks of 200 W. For movies, the ratio is higher (as much as 100x), probably due to explosions and such (where clipping might not be noticed anyway).

So I know how much power is required to drive my speakers.... and it is extremely unlikely that a 100W AVR is going to clip at my personal reference level (72db)
AVRs are notoriously overspec'd, especially since the amplifier rules changed many years ago. And see comment above about peak to average levels.

The other thing to consider, is that the flaws I identified and remedied were all relating to the midrange, vocal/dialogue frequencies.
Bass was not obviously deficient.
The signal coming out of the AVR includes all frequencies above the sub and LFE crossover (if you have a sub), typically 80 Hz. Look at equal loudness curves to observe how much of the power may be in the bass region even above the crossover. Clipping is most often perceived in the midrange, as it affects all frequencies, and midrange frequencies are easiest for us to hear. Among the biggest problems of clipping, which is usually due to bass signals, is that average power increases significantly (due to the change in waveshape from sinusoidal to square'ish) and HF energy increases (destroying tweeters). This article discusses clipping in a bit more detail:

My speakers are Gallo Nucleus Reference 3.2's - Nominally 4 ohm, with a dip to 3 ohm at the woofer crossover, and a serious dip to 1.63 ohm on the tweeter (which is also capacitive, to further cause potential difficulties with amps)

Midrange is provided by 2 "quackers" (love that term, sad that it dropped out of usage!) - running parallel, and mechanically crossed over to the CDT tweeter.

Review of these speakers from years back, often tout how good they sound with puny valve amps... but the speakers original designer, used to demo them with 500W powerhouse amps (500W @ 8ohm doubling down into 4ohm and again into 2 ohm )

The common thread in amps that do well with these speakers, seems to be stability into low impedances, and high current... high power appears to be an irrelevancy (although high power amps, often have ample current too...)
That does not mean lower-power amps are unstable, which implies oscillation. Instability leads to oscillation leads to amplifiers shutting down and/or blowing up, often taking the speakers with them. Instabilities usually cause ringing and oscillation at very high frequency, where the feedback loop "opens" at the limit of the amplifier's bandwidth. Most of the time we do not hear anything; the amp and/or speakers just die when the amp goes unstable.

Note: there was no harshness to the sound - that would indicate clipping I agree!

The degradation was (I'm repeating myself...but!) - a sort of congestion in the midrange, a lack of clarity... for those inclined to those terms, a "veiling" of the sound - it made vocals / dialogue more difficult to understand, and also impacted on soundstage and imaging....
That is one of the key indications of clipping. Severe harshness occurs when clipping is severe, but audible degradation can occur well before that point. It can be a rather subtle effect before becoming overtly noticeable. I tend to use "harshness" for what you describe as "congestion".

Alternate amps, "lifted the veil", improving vocals/dialogue, soundstaging and imaging, while keeping bass and highs the same.

This is old fashioned diagnosis without sophisticated measurement tools!
Measurements could end this argument but you do not need tools to hear clipping. Alternate amps provided more power. Your definition of "unstable" clearly differs from mine (as an engineer and audiophile), as does your diagnosis of the root cause, and equally clearly nothing I can say will convince you otherwise so I'll drop this.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Your definition of "unstable" clearly differs from mine (as an engineer and audiophile)
I read "unstable" as "oscillating or near to it", not as "running out of power"...

MAB

Major Contributor
I like your points, i was just looking at the situation from a theoretical point of view : pros and cons of simple and complex crossovers into low impedance loads, and effects on amp stability. Can't find much about it on the other forums. Thanks !
It's not a topic often discussed in other forums. Unless they have a loudspeaker and crossover design forum.

The discussion of adding to a driver is covered in crossover design in (for instance) Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. My edition has a section on impedance equalization starting on page 139, including L-pad and resistive attenuation. This is just one good example.

The stability of an amp into a low impedance load (resistive or otherwise) is a wide ranging topic that mostly depends on the amplifier's peculiarities. Adding a resistor can fix the low impedance, but at the expense of degraded performance, and you need to find a place to mount a large power resistor that can dissipate the thermal power, and it will get hot. And your subs' frequency performance will change due to the resistance interacting with the amp's output impedance.

Your solution is simple, run the subwoofer's coils in series to present an 8 Ohm load to the amp. Or just power one of the sub's voice coils.
Another is get an amp that can power a low impedance load.

egellings

Major Contributor
Impedance can be reactive, meaning resistance plus capacitance or plus inductance, which at a given frequency has a value in ohms. Resistance is pure resistance and over audio frequencies won't change.

You could add a resistor like you are saying, but it would eat up much of the power, and have to be large enough to handle lots of power. You might get away with it for a tweeter where power levels are generally low. For a sub, just not a good idea. Plus any thing you gain from going in parallel you would more than lose going thru the resistor. So if your other choice is series connection at 8 ohms, that probably is still the better thing to do.
Any added resistance would also clobber the benefit of the damping factor of the amplifier as well, possibly resulting in boomy flabby bass.

MAB

Major Contributor
I just remembered that Benchmark has a discussion on series resistance (i.e. high damping factor) and the change in frequency response. There is a calculator that estimates that frequency response variation expected for a given amp and speaker combo. It doesn't take the detailed impedance vs. frequency of a given speaker into account, but it does give ranges. And, to be clear the resistor values you would use to get a higher impedance make the details rather irrelevant. Adding a 6 Ohm resistor is like using 1500 feet of 13-gauge speaker cable, and the resulting frequency response errors are very large (>>5dB) depending on the actual impedance of your sub driver...

The article is titled 'audio myth' because it is addressing normal output impedances of amps. Adding a large resistor doesn't fall into the range of 'normal'.;)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Top Bottom