• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker impedance setting do I use for Yamaha R-N800A with ELAC DBR62 speakers?

foxyfire7

What speaker impedance setting do I use on my new yamaha r-n800a receiver for my elac dbr62 bookshelf speakers?
The yamaha manual says this about setting impedance:
------------------------------------------------------------------
4 ohm MIN For speakers with an impedance of 4-ohm or more but less than 8-ohm.
8 ohm MIN For speakers with an impedance of 8-ohm.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The bookshelf speaker manual says nominal impedance is 6 ohm, but on the back of the speaker it says: Suitable for Amplifiers: 4 - 8 ohms Nominal Impedance: 6 ohms Max Power Input: 120 watts
So which setting on the yamaha do I use and what are the consequences of each?

Attachments

• 1000001875.jpg
    1000001875.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 66

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
First, congrats on the rn800a and the dbr62's, that's one fine setup. What you have there is basically a limiting switch. I'm not big on them b/c they limit the power. Take Chrispy's advice and don't crank the amp.

OP
F

foxyfire7

Thanks everyone! The article that Chrispy linked was very informative. I am leaving it set at 8 ohms.

Also as an FYI, I tried the S.M.S.L AO200 MkII as a desktop amp to power these speakers (I have them for my computer), but it wasn't powerful enough to drive them without clipping more than around 78 db at 3 feet! The yamaha I have now is working wonders and seems to have all the power they need.

Top Bottom