• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can plants act as sound diffusers ?

Trackball02

HTH - Don,
Thanks for your advice.
My room is 17.5 feet by 22 feet, with the TV along the shorter wall. I have heavy thermal black out curtains to cover the windows on the sides and rear of the room. I did notice a lot of improvement with the rear wall curtains from reflections.

The sides of the room are filled with audio equipment, shelves filled with vinyl records, etc with a large shag wool rug on the wood floor. The room seems to be relatively inert.

I will consider the ceiling as a first reflection point. Thanks for pointing that out.

I totally agree about sitting back and enjoying the system worry free.

Dal1as

View attachment 263781
DonH56,
I'm attaching a photo showing the speakers and back wall, the dimensions between the speakers and distance from the rear wall as previously described.
Along the bottom of the TV are 3, 2ftx2ft, diffusers for a total of 6 ft length, and to each side are 3ft x 5ft large and heavy diffusion panels. I have not permanently mounted any of the wood diffuser panels on the wall.

Just trying to figure out what to do with the TV. As you did, should I bother given the distance of the speakers from the TV and that the speakers are toed in slightly without sending significant energy to the TV for reflection? I certainly do not notice any weird reflected sound directly coming from the TV, but how can be certain?

An alternative goal is to have a movable diffusion panel or diffusion curtain, without much absorption, to cover the TV, when not in use.
Once I'm happy with the TV cover, permanently attach the diffusion panels, and hide the cable, and work on aesthetics-decor, etc.
Nice setup. I agree with Don though. Those diffusers are not doing much where they are. They would be better suited for the rear of the room in your situation. 5 inch absorption panels would work well where your current diffusers are. To tame sbir.

Trackball02

Nice setup. I agree with Don though. Those diffusers are not doing much where they are. They would be better suited for the rear of the room in your situation. 5 inch absorption panels would work well where your current diffusers are. To tame sbir.
Dal1as, Thank you for your suggestions.

Jello82

View attachment 263781
DonH56,
I'm attaching a photo showing the speakers and back wall, the dimensions between the speakers and distance from the rear wall as previously described.
Along the bottom of the TV are 3, 2ftx2ft, diffusers for a total of 6 ft length, and to each side are 3ft x 5ft large and heavy diffusion panels. I have not permanently mounted any of the wood diffuser panels on the wall.

Just trying to figure out what to do with the TV. As you did, should I bother given the distance of the speakers from the TV and that the speakers are toed in slightly without sending significant energy to the TV for reflection? I certainly do not notice any weird reflected sound directly coming from the TV, but how can be certain?

An alternative goal is to have a movable diffusion panel or diffusion curtain, without much absorption, to cover the TV, when not in use.
Once I'm happy with the TV cover, permanently attach the diffusion panels, and hide the cable, and work on aesthetics-decor, etc.
Hello, Sir.

Could you please let me know how do the speakers work with the Gaia footers and those butcher blocks? Better, in your opinion, than place them with the stock spikes on the floor?

Thanks

Andysu

Major Contributor
even holding arm out with hand can also do the same thing . amazing and its absolutely free

egellings

Major Contributor
I suspect that you would need quite a forest of plants to make a difference.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I suspect that you would need quite a forest of plants to make a difference.

7ggv09.jpg

Top Bottom