• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can plants act as sound diffusers ?

bothu

Can plants in my living room act as diffusers ?

IMG_6897.JPG

Bo Thunér / Linköping / Sweden

SSS

Interesting question. Sure the plant will alter the sound. Perhaps it is a diffuser and absorber? How changes the sound when removing the plant?
Further, the window pane and the wall with the radiator will reflect sound. What is your intention or is the actual sound bad?

JSmith

Master Contributor
The primary indication of the research was that plants work better in ‘acoustically live’ spaces, i.e. those that have minimal soft furnishings.
Pages 21 - 22;
1675571215572.png

Hmm... still unconvinced. I think the plant would need to be fairly thick and dense to have much of an effect.

JSmith

julian_hughes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about instead of plants you try placing well trained animals at strategic points around the room? In a domestic setting these might range in size and density from a Shi Tzu through a large domestic cat to a Labrador Retriever. Maybe even an especially inert teenage human. For a semi enclosed outdoor sound system one might consider using carefully placed and muzzled cattle or llamas.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
As @JSmith noted, yes, they can provide absorption and diffusion (mainly at high enough frequencies that the leaves are at least a wavelength), but are generally rather poor at either.

OP
bothu

bothu

Interesting question, looking forward to see room measurements with and without plants.

I have spend some time with REW and there is a small differens with and without the tree.
The reflection from the window is gone more or less.
But if there is any sonic different to me I cant say.

See measurements further down i this thread.

OP
bothu

bothu

Pages 21 - 22;
View attachment 262427
Hmm... still unconvinced. I think the plant would need to be fairly thick and dense to have much of an effect.

JSmith

Thank You for your serious answer !

I did some measurements With REW and there is small differences with and without the tree.
The window reflection is much smaller an it correspond to the peaks at 3,6 ms.
The baseline is also changed to more "noicelike" shape.

The distance from the mic at my listening position to speaker is 2,4 meters ( 7,8 ft).
The longer way for the sound is 3,6 meters so the 3,6 ms seems right.

Here without Tree:

Without Tree Diffuser.jpg

Here with Tree:

With Tree Diffuser.jpg

Bo Thunér / Linköping / Sweden

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a thicker curtain that could be pulled out while listen to cover more of the windows ?
This could work better than the plant , but I let the nice plant stay anyway.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pages 21 - 22;
View attachment 262427

JSmith
The question was about absorption not diffusion. Meanwhile, none of those absorption values show any meaningful level of absorption.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a thicker curtain that could be pulled out while listen to cover more of the windows ?
This could work better than the plant , but I let the nice plant stay anyway.
Curtains don’t diffuse sound.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a big jungle vine thing in one otherwise barren corner and when I got rid of that (it was taking over the room) I started noticing high frequencies bouncing out of the corner. Stuck a roll of loft insulation in the corner and that solved it. Not as pretty as a plant, but big plants are expensive.

The plant - or the big pot it was in - was clearly doing something.

JSmith

Master Contributor

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We should aim for permanentning those Christmas trees. My wife does not concur though.

Dal1as

The question was about absorption not diffusion. Meanwhile, none of those absorption values show any meaningful level of absorption.
Lol. This thread is hilarious. I can see a bunch of people going out and buying house plants after reading that article.

Point is vegetation, if thick and random enough, will act as both a diffuser and absorber. Just how sound works.

A lush hedge planted at 1st reflections would be noticable.

Take a look at the diffusers in the crazy anechoic chambers and then imagine looking into a side of a broadleaf thick tree/plant. You will get diffusion from the frontal leafs and absorption from the voids between the leaves.

Maybe stuffing theaters full of plants will become the new trend. If so I'm expecting a bunch of dead plants and a new forum on ASR. and AVS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom