• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I use a 12-inch woofer as a resistor to set amplifier gain?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn’t 100W a little on the low side for amplifier testing?

They are more than adequate for quick power test. Could do more continuously if you cool them.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might find this QuantAsylum app note useful…

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even a smallish fan helps a lot.

kiwifi

H
I would like to optimize the gain structure of my setup with an oscilloscope. I have already purchased two high excursion 12-inch woofers to use in my subwoofer builds, and money is running short with Christmas and all and I would rather that I avoid paying a 100$ or something for a 250W capable 4 Ohm resistor (For now).

So can i just plug the oscilloscope and amplifier to the woofer in an open baffle configuration? its rated power is significantly higher than anything the amplifier might provide. I'm thinking of keeping the burst tones at 40Hz or something to not damage my hearing and also not to overexert the woofer
Have you considered using an incandescent light bulb as a dummy load?

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Light bulb resistance varies tremendously with temperature. Speaker resistance / impedance varies tremendously with frequency.
One or two high power resistors looks like the most cost effective way to get 4 ohms. Remember they don't have to be rated for the full 250 watts, for what you're testing you only need to apply signal for a few seconds at a time. You can get fancy and mount them to a heatsink or just drop them into a glass of water on the end of their leads. The bubbling of the water will tell you if you overdo it. :)

puppet

Can't a guy just use 0dB sine waves (40-100-400-800-1000hz) to do this? Pick the tone that buzzes the driver at the lowest gain setting and back that off a bit. Buzzing vs pure hum is the amp clipping.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to optimize the gain structure of my setup with an oscilloscope. I have already purchased two high excursion 12-inch woofers to use in my subwoofer builds, and money is running short with Christmas and all and I would rather that I avoid paying a 100$ or something for a 250W capable 4 Ohm resistor (For now).

So can i just plug the oscilloscope and amplifier to the woofer in an open baffle configuration? its rated power is significantly higher than anything the amplifier might provide. I'm thinking of keeping the burst tones at 40Hz or something to not damage my hearing and also not to overexert the woofer.
I apologise if I sound thick but why don’t you measure the amplifier output without a speaker connected? A power amplifier is a voltage source and you want to measure the voltage amplification = gain.

Also why not use simple sine wave instead of burst tones?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I want to basically determine the clipping point of an amplifier with a volume pot. And determine the best position on the volume pot to reach that clipping point with 2Vrms input.

Why? You'll be turning way past that nominal position with typical music recordings. You'll just rob yourself of a whole lot of available volume.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I apologise if I sound thick but why don’t you measure the amplifier output without a speaker connected? A power amplifier is a voltage source and you want to measure the voltage amplification = gain.

Because they are not voltage sources in the true sense. Not even close, especially with those little Aiyma things. The rails will sit way higher with no load and the results will be totally inconclusive.

I really don't know why he doesn't just grab a few 50/100W non-inductive resistors and use them in conjunction with the 'scope. They are so cheap.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because they are not voltage sources in the true sense. Not even close, especially with those little Aiyma things. The rails will sit way higher with no load and the results will be totally inconclusive.
Do you mean the amplifier gain change with load?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Do you mean the amplifier gain change with load?

Not the gain itself, just the available output swing.

No load= highest swing due to no current being drawn (rail voltage highest)
8R load= rails will droop due to current draw and losses (I^2R) etc over OPT devices and the power supply leads/PSU itself.
4R load= rails droop even more due to double the current (i^2R) etc.

From what I interpret the OP wants, is he wants to find the spot where his 'rig' clips and set that as his 'reference' point. However, the concept is flawed. Plenty of ASR members do all their gain calculations and set their D/As to give what they mistakenly think is maximum unclipped power. Then they forget all about the fact that musical files are all totally different in levels. Some will need way less attenuation* than others.

If I did that with my pre/power and digital front end using a 0dBFS test track and scope, then put on say Dire Straits Love over Gold CD, I'd be robbing myself of about 90% of the power of my amplifier. I'd be rotating the volume control way past my 'reference' point, just to get a medium-high playback level. Every disc/track is different.

Hope that makes sense. :)

*note, I'm calling it attenuation not gain, because the amplifiers themselves are fixed gain, they just have an attenuator up front.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I estimated/calc'd those Aiyma amps to be like 25% to 30% reduction in supply voltage from loaded to unloaded. Sometimes maybe more. very loose.

Top Bottom