• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I be just nuts?

SSS

Loudspeakers do not give the same sound impression in the living room as in a sales studio. It is just the different room. When the sales studio like in Athen is highly damped by absorbers then almost no reflections and thus a more "sterile" sound impression. Reverb from a room gives at least for me a more natural sound impression because this is the normal hearing experience in rooms and the brain is used to it. Therefore before buying loudspeakers they should be tested in the intended living room. Changeing power amplifiers which I did several times in my system do make almost no change in sound when there is enough power.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Loudspeakers do not give the same sound impression in the living room as in a sales studio. It is just the different room. When the sales studio like in Athen is highly damped by absorbers then almost no reflections and thus a more "sterile" sound impression. Reverb from a room gives at least for me a more natural sound impression because this is the normal hearing experience in rooms and the brain is used to it. Therefore before buying loudspeakers they should be tested in the intended living room. Changeing power amplifiers which I did several times in my system do make almost no change in sound when there is enough power.
Home audition is one of the greatest things about brick and mortar stores.

(I know online sellers do it, but I like to local resource.)

Mean & Green

I’ve often drawn similar conclusions. I’ve heard some very expensive setups in dedicated rooms and have been less than impressed.

I once attended a Linn factory tour and heard their full Klimax system with both digital and vinyl front ends. It was about £80k worth of stereo in their purpose made room. Honestly my humble NAD/Tannoy/Pro-Ject/Pioneer system at home is far more satisfying to me. The Linn kit seemed to add its own artificial character to music in my purely subjective opinion based on what limited time I spent there.

Most hifi demos I’ve heard have left me thinking “is that it?”

Something to note is that often these expensive brands don’t publish any meaningful specs either.

Last edited:

Ze Frog

I’ve often drawn similar conclusions. I’ve heard some very expensive setups in dedicated rooms and have been less than impressed.

I once attended a Linn factory tour and heard their full Klimax system with both digital and vinyl front ends. It was about £80k worth of stereo in their purpose made room. Honestly my humble NAD/Tannoy/Pro-Ject/Pioneer system at home is far more satisfying to me. The Linn kit seemed to add its own artificial character to music in my purely subjective opinion based on what limited time I spent there.

Most hifi demos I’ve heard have left me thinking “is that it?”

Something to note is that often these expensive brands don’t publish any meaningful specs either.
And weirdly the stuff that doesn't leave me with the 'is that it' as you put it, usually turns out to be rather annoying after the initial wow factor. Makes sense really, as most systems that have that initial grab tend to have certain frequencies etc enhanced deliberately for that effect.

eddantes

Not nuts, at all! Just experiencing "diminishing returns", which in hifi these days comes early and hard

OP
A

alaios

Have you considered exploring vinyl? There's a renaissance going on, I hear, though no one can explain it.
Yes I would have a turntable as part of my system qutie soon

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
So I just came back from a dealer where I have listened to some focal speakers driven with some naim amplifier. I do not think that I need to explain which where the exact speakers and amp combo. It is enough to say that the I was listening to a 5.000 euros system, in an acoustically treated room (everything was covered in some sort of absorber diffuser)
The shop is one of the well known shops in Athens.

Yes the system was good, articulate and clear, yes it was better from what I have at home. But I have not felt that there is improved staging, I was not able to place the music organs at more exact places as my tiny system at home does. At home, I am listening with two dalis oberon 1s with some smallishs subs.

I just find my system to be enough to enjoy the music, the recording, I find that there is enough pleasure to even think for some marginal upgrade. Can that be true? Can I just be nuts? It is the second time that I listen to a treated room with some high end stuff but I do not get really that more excited.

I am totally fine to discuss that I might have bad hearing. Even more laughable my system is run by denon all in one m41 little unit and I was thinking to upgrade my amp. I just do not see the need even for that (I do not listen to high volumes)

Your heretic forum friend.
Alex
You don't seem to be nuts to me.

Top Bottom