• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The “view encapsulated above” in your post is a distorted view.

And anyone can at this very moment decide to check any of my posts in the thread to see you are wrong - and that my encapsulation represents the views I've defended through the thread.

It's bizarre: I literally tell you my own viewpoint, but you won't accept it and claim I am distorting my own viewpoint and arguments.

Have you considered for a moment that I know my own views, and that maybe you are distorting my views?

What actually happens is more like I already summarised in my post, that you hand-waved away with the words “ad hominem / strawman”. And the net result is that: the actual authority and expert has left the discussion; his words have been largely drowned out and swamped by your excesses (Most words wins? Last post wins?:facepalm:); and the casual reader of the forum might get entirely the wrong view about what is and isn’t factual, if he or she can even still find the long-buried authoritative expert input, and has enough nous to disregard your carry-on.

Obfuscation.

So, you will continue to ignore my stated views and arguments, not address anything I actually wrote to show it's unreasonable, and instead substitute your own distorted, vague, strawmen characterizations.

Well, I gave it a try Newman: offered you a chance to engage in Good Faith discussion. I guess it's hopeless.

And you know what the biggest single reason is for the above trainwreck?

Yes: Strawmanning and a refusal to engage in good faith discussion. Where one refuses to try to understand the position of someone with whom they think they disagree, such as you continue to display in threads like this. Unfortunately. It really doesn't have to be that way.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
The “view encapsulated above” in your post is a distorted view.

That's something of a deflection from addressing alleged obfuscation of audio truth and science. Also, a tautology: all individual perspectives are distorted (even yours). It's the nature of perspective. I somehow (forgive the humorous understatement) doubt you are omniscient. Try stripping away the personal criticism/animus and address salient facts: we mostly agree that digital has greater potential for accuracy than the vinyl medium; we also agree that there are qualitative overlaps such that specific examples of recordings on vinyl media may have better sonic qualities than corresponding specific examples of digital. Where does that leave a black-and-white argument that vinyl is unacceptable in all cases, and/or that (consequently) any revival relies basically or entirely on magical thinking, for example?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing is, honest interaction with what I've actually argued is unlikely to uncover this dastardly "obfuscation of audio truth and science." That's why Newman won't address my comments directly, but instead produces his own caricatures to fulminate over . Why some people choose to rail at phantoms, and get all riled up doing so, rather than try to understand another point of view does baffle me.

Newman

Major Contributor
Or, they simply enjoy playing records. :eek:
Even I do that. So it doesn't seem to characterise a difference between points of view. Umm, :eek:

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even I do that. So it doesn't seem to characterise a difference between points of view. Umm, :eek:
Well, then, you are no audiophile.

Apart from the fact that I do find masochism hard to understand except as a disorder, why are the low standards of many here worth repeating?

I consistently define an audiophile as someone who desires to experience the highest attributes of sound quality. That’s what the distinction is between an audiophile and the 98% of music lovers who love the music no matter what the reproduction quality. Are the Vinyl Defenders really saying that they are dropping out of being audiophiles every time they put a record on?

If so, I suggest a better place for them than an audio forum is a records or music fan forum.

Newman

Major Contributor
The thing is, honest interaction with what I've actually argued is unlikely to uncover this dastardly "obfuscation of audio truth and science." That's why Newman won't address my comments directly, but instead produces his own caricatures to fulminate over . Why some people choose to rail at phantoms, and get all riled up doing so, rather than try to understand another point of view does baffle me.
Oh I get it. Your "ad hominem / strawman" brushoff doesn't count as diversion...but...

It's like I've said before: people with a Debating Team Captain mentality, and energetically skilful at it too, need to recognise at some point in their lives that the whole approach is inherently prone to burying truth below opinion, bias and argument. The only decision they face is whether they actually care about that, or are simply enjoying themselves too much to give a toss.

It's one of those meta things. You either wake up to it and stop it, or keep going and keep getting the dysfunctional outcomes wrt truth. It's not in my hands.

Another thing. This thread has several times become dormant, for weeks or even months. And every single time it's you, specifically you, who chooses to revive it on some utterly pathetic pretext. Now, don't go back and try to argue your way out -- don't do your usual thing -- instead, just face reality. You know what a sh*tstorm you are going to kick off, and you know what? You are either looking forward to it, or you don't give a toss. This thread, and all its worst attributes? They are on you. Just you.

Time to own it.

(Cue several volleys of shoot-the-messenger content, from several directions. Yawn.)

drmevo

The Matt & Newman show, now streaming season 358.
It’s hard not to picture this thread as a classic Seinfeld/Newman rivalry.

IMG_0386.gif

Newman

Major Contributor
Muah Hah Haaaa

NewmanSeinfeldDoorway-brightened.jpg

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Oh I get it. Your "ad hominem / strawman" brushoff doesn't count as diversion...but...

It's like I've said before: people with a Debating Team Captain mentality, and energetically skilful at it too, need to recognise at some point in their lives that the whole approach is inherently prone to burying truth below opinion, bias and argument. The only decision they face is whether they actually care about that, or are simply enjoying themselves too much to give a toss.

It's one of those meta things. You either wake up to it and stop it, or keep going and keep getting the dysfunctional outcomes wrt truth. It's not in my hands.

Another thing. This thread has several times become dormant, for weeks or even months. And every single time it's you, specifically you, who chooses to revive it on some utterly pathetic pretext. Now, don't go back and try to argue your way out -- don't do your usual thing -- instead, just face reality. You know what a sh*tstorm you are going to kick off, and you know what? You are either looking forward to it, or you don't give a toss. This thread, and all its worst attributes? They are on you. Just you.

Time to own it.

(Cue several volleys of shoot-the-messenger content, from several directions. Yawn.)

A fair degree of hubris and narcissism there. And no hint of adjustment after misreading my earlier post and going fully ape-shit. Past time to ignore, I think (for sure, Matt has more grace and patience than I do).

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hellooo...Newman!

Another thing. This thread has several times become dormant, for weeks or even months. And every single time it's you, specifically you, who chooses to revive it on some utterly pathetic pretext.

I am a record enthusiast and this is a thread about the vinyl revival/renaissance, which I'm also very interested in discussing. Clearly I'm not the only one given it's 358 pages long, and ASR clearly has a number of people who enjoy records and post in this thread too. And then you leap in inevitably to add ever more post counts to this thread, while criticizing others for keeping it going! Why not ignore it, if you dislike this thread so much?

As to "reviving" the thread....sometimes I post articles or info that is relevant to the subject. How DARE I, right? How AWFUL of me. How "pathetic."

Have you asked yourself why the mere posting of articles related to the vinyl revival, in a thread on the subject, somehow antagonizes and triggers you so much you must decry it as "pathetic?" Why in the world should posting such info stir up a“shitstorm?” Did you stop to even ponder why that is a bizarre thing to even say? And then must fly in to say something negative about any article or positive comments about vinyl?

Again...you are raging about someone occasionally posting information related to the vinyl revival, in a thread dedicated to that subject.

That's just weird.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

How Taylor Swift Took Over Your Local Record Store​

Jencik is one of many record store reps nationwide who’ve seen a similar shift over the past several years. As a Rolling Stone analysis of the 100 bestselling vinyl albums of each year since 2012 shows, pop is taking over from rock as the medium’s dominant genre. As vinyl has once again become a mainstream listening and collectible format, vinyl buyers are getting increasingly younger, several owners say, and the most popular albums have shifted from the indie rock and classic rock catalog albums that defined vinyl’s resurgence in the past decade to mainstream pop records from the likes of Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, and Lana Del Rey.

I notice my local record stores displaying a lot of POP and dance music albums in their front window. Wild how the kids are taking this over.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

How Taylor Swift Took Over Your Local Record Store​

Jencik is one of many record store reps nationwide who’ve seen a similar shift over the past several years. As a Rolling Stone analysis of the 100 bestselling vinyl albums of each year since 2012 shows, pop is taking over from rock as the medium’s dominant genre. As vinyl has once again become a mainstream listening and collectible format, vinyl buyers are getting increasingly younger, several owners say, and the most popular albums have shifted from the indie rock and classic rock catalog albums that defined vinyl’s resurgence in the past decade to mainstream pop records from the likes of Swift, Olivia Rodrigo, and Lana Del Rey.

I notice my local record stores displaying a lot of POP and dance music albums in their front window. Wild how the kids are taking this over.
My kids with iPhones bought Instax camera, like the old polaroids. :p

- Rich

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My kids with iPhones bought Instax camera, like the old polaroids. :p

- Rich

Bring on the polaroid renaissance!

I personally don't have a lot of nostalgia for film. I took photography through high school, and then film and photography in university, so spent a lot of time in dark rooms developing photos. I don't miss it.

Anton D

Bring on the polaroid renaissance!

I personally don't have a lot of nostalgia for film. I took photography through high school, and then film and photography in university, so spent a lot of time in dark rooms developing photos. I don't miss it.
I miss the timeless feeling of working in a darkroom.

I'm happy with digital, but the thrill of bracketing a shot, and knowing I couldn't afford to just snap 100 shots and then hit viewfinder has altered things.

I had a 4X5 view camera with a polaroid back, so I'd get a negative and a one of a kind polaroid print that made for great gifts.

Now, I can dial the zone system into a photo editor and I can be Ansel Adams on demand. (That's hyperbole, of course!)

I used to love looking at those beautiful silver gelatin prints people would make that had an almost three dimensional velvetness to them. It was a magical texture.

Awwww, the old days.

My kids like playing with those new Polaroids. Physical media are pretty cool.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I miss the timeless feeling of working in a darkroom.

I'm happy with digital, but the thrill of bracketing a shot, and knowing I couldn't afford to just snap 100 shots and then hit viewfinder has altered things.

I had a 4X5 view camera with a polaroid back, so I'd get a negative and a one of a kind polaroid print that made for great gifts.

Now, I can dial the zone system into a photo editor and I can be Ansel Adams on demand. (That's hyperbole, of course!)

I used to love looking at those beautiful silver gelatin prints people would make that had an almost three dimensional velvetness to them. It was a magical texture.

Awwww, the old days.

My kids like playing with those new Polaroids. Physical media are pretty cool.

I don't miss that smell. I loved creating photos at the time, and the darkroom was obviously a part of that. But having worked also in film editing, and worked with audio tape for sound editing before DAWs took over, I truly don't miss those days. I understand many others have a fondness for film.

Jaxjax

I don't miss that smell. I loved creating photos at the time, and the darkroom was obviously a part of that. But having worked also in film editing, and worked with audio tape for sound editing before DAWs took over, I truly don't miss those days. I understand many others have a fondness for film.
Did you ever get to mess with Ciba ? I still send transparencies off to the only person I know on the planet that does them anymore,...or has the chemicals to do it. GS B & W is my favorite to collect of my favorite musicians & or the legal negative of them.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor

My dad had a darkroom when I was a kid. He would let me do black and whites, but not color or slides. Too easy to mess up. It was fun, but yeah the smells were awful.

Mean & Green

One of the things I love about vinyl is the ability to be able to connect with memories.

The album pictured used to belong to my father. He is no longer with us, he was a Kim Wilde fan and I actually grew up with these records as a kid. I’ve inherited his entire collection and playing a record like this knowing he has handled it, he paid for it and he got Kim Wilde to sign it. Today I can still hold it and play it almost 40 years later is quite a thing (to me at least).

The vinyl resurgence makes perfect sense for many reasons.

IMG_7285.jpeg

IMG_7289.jpeg

Top Bottom