• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I find his presentation deeply off putting and annoying. He has some good info, but most of his vids are so click baity and often he seems all over the place leaving me wondering “what is your point?”
Funny, I don't have that problem. He means to be derisive of the whole vinyl phenomenon and delivers a whole lot of facts in the process. LP fans might find his attitude annoying, but he's not intending to cater himself to fans of LPs. If he is "all over the place" that's because he's alternating between data and snark. But it's clear he's got his facts straight, unlike many YT commentators of LPs and turntables.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Yebbut - he is talking about putting the digital data onto vinyl, not mastering an analogue record from a digital source. It is a little tongue in cheek.
This…He’s just having some fun with Audiophiles and Digifiles. His sense of humor is enjoyable and I thought some of you would enjoy it too. Light hearted fun. We don’t have to be serious all the time and certainly not in this thread…;)

Mean & Green

I find his presentation deeply off putting and annoying. He has some good info, but most of his vids are so click baity and often he seems all over the place leaving me wondering “what is your point?”
I completely agree. YouTube’s algorithms often bring his videos up, but I’m yet to actually mange to sit through one without switching it off.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m still convinced that, early on, this thread could have been renamed:

Can Anyone Explain The Vinyl Resistance?
New generations would be grateful for the free of cost carbon storage service provided by the vinyl collectors.

Victor Martell

Funny, I don't have that problem. He means to be derisive of the whole vinyl phenomenon and delivers a whole lot of facts in the process. LP fans might find his attitude annoying, but he's not intending to cater himself to fans of LPs. If he is "all over the place" that's because he's alternating between data and snark. But it's clear he's got his facts straight, unlike many YT commentators of LPs and turntables.

All true - BUT - this is not the world of YT and yes, lots of magical thinking peeps in the vinyl aficionado world - I mean, I am a fan of vinyl and HAD to stop visiting (for example) the otherwise informative offerings of Ken Micallef and his "Jazz on Vinyl" brand... because, well, heavy on the magical thinking, from the weird fetish ( TO ME) of OG and specially Mono OGs to the usual audiophile stuff (cables, tweaks, etc).

But I digress - Again, this is not YT, Fremer's, Micallef's, or AbSound - video does have facts. I balk at the implication that if I (we) knew and understood the facts would leave vinyl - again, I know the facts, I understand the facts, I am fairly well trained person... I just like vinyl as a source. Keep pounding that because oh how I wish the thread had been closed a while ago. Ah well. Keeps popping on my notifications and haven't been bothered to unwatch it - should do that...

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I try to avoid YT videos that have the dude's face as part of the splashpage.

Yes—no offence to those who enjoy his style of course—but I've never made it through a whole video of his for the above reasons, even when the info has been potentially interesting. I could rant for quite a while to fully convey my reaction, but then it would start to resemble one of his videos. :)

Robin L

Master Contributor
All true - BUT - this is not the world of YT and yes, lots of magical thinking peeps in the vinyl aficionado world - I mean, I am a fan of vinyl and HAD to stop visiting (for example) the otherwise informative offerings of Ken Micallef and his "Jazz on Vinyl" brand... because, well, heavy on the magical thinking, from the weird fetish ( TO ME) of OG and specially Mono OGs to the usual audiophile stuff (cables, tweaks, etc).

But I digress - Again, this is not YT, Fremer's, Micallef's, or AbSound - video does have facts. I balk at the implication that if I (we) knew and understood the facts would leave vinyl - again, I know the facts, I understand the facts, I am fairly well trained person... I just like vinyl as a source. Keep pounding that because oh how I wish the thread had been closed a while ago. Ah well. Keeps popping on my notifications and haven't been bothered to unwatch it - should do that...
I keep popping in because I enjoy the foodfight aspect of this megathread. It was settled long ago that technophiles are disgusted by vinyl and LP fans have all sorts of different reasons to collect and play LPs. Some even like the way they sound. I have heard LPs sound good enough to explain why some people claim superior sound from the format. Personally, I like CDs better and am glad that my favorite kinds of CDs - used, immaculate, Classical & dirt cheap - are currently easy to obtain. And when I see $45, 45rpm 2-disc reissues of 1960s Pop and Jazz recordings, all I can do is laugh. But "why people tear the seams of anyone's dreams is over my head" as the Duke once wrote. When I was collecting LPs (I collected thousands, back in the day) my favorites were white label promos. Also, examples of Classical unobtanium such as Shaded Dogs. But now that I'm old and gray and retired, I'm really enjoying the clean, used Classical CDs I'm getting at library sales for ten cents a pop.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh I have no problem with him mythbusting vinyl. More power to him.

It's just his affect and presentation, having seen many of his videos. There's a sort of smart alecky f*cking-with-you vibe, and a slight jerking-the-viewer-around rambling in his presentation, like he's always trying to keep you off balance as to what he really thinks, that puts me off.

And, actually, that particular video wasn't so bad. I've seen much worse in his other vids.

Newman

Major Contributor
I’m still convinced that, early on, this thread could have been renamed:

Can Anyone Explain The Vinyl Resistance?
A title like that would be considered MattBait. I can see why one would hesitate. ;)

Would have been a shorter thread. One word maybe. Newman.
Even stronger MattBait. Would not have ended well. :eek:

atmasphere

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yebbut - he is talking about putting the digital data onto vinyl, not mastering an analogue record from a digital source. It is a little tongue in cheek.
Yeah... my Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 uses a cassette tape machine to upload the settings to the mighty Zilog processor inside...

Jflijohn

I keep popping in because I enjoy the foodfight aspect of this megathread. It was settled long ago that technophiles are disgusted by vinyl and LP fans have all sorts of different reasons to collect and play LPs. Some even like the way they sound. I have heard LPs sound good enough to explain why some people claim superior sound from the format. Personally, I like CDs better and am glad that my favorite kinds of CDs - used, immaculate, Classical & dirt cheap - are currently easy to obtain. And when I see $45, 45rpm 2-disc reissues of 1960s Pop and Jazz recordings, all I can do is laugh. But "why people tear the seams of anyone's dreams is over my head" as the Duke once wrote. When I was collecting LPs (I collected thousands, back in the day) my favorites were white label promos. Also, examples of Classical unobtanium such as Shaded Dogs. But now that I'm old and gray and retired, I'm really enjoying the clean, used Classical CDs I'm getting at library sales for ten cents a pop.
So, I’m curious, do you rip your CDs to FLAC or listen to them in the original CD format. I spent a summer ripping all of mine to put on an SSD.

Robin L

Master Contributor
So, I’m curious, do you rip your CDs to FLAC or listen to them in the original CD format. I spent a summer ripping all of mine to put on an SSD.
Right now I'm listening to the Annie Fischer recordings of Beethoven Piano Sonatas I ripped to Apple Lossless a few years ago. As far as I can tell, ALAC sounds the same as FLAC. However, most of the time I listen to CDs. I've more or less run out of storage space on my SSDs, figure having 1600 CDs worth of music is enough for that format. Have 1400 CDs right now, just got Freidrich Gulda's Amadeo Beethoven Piano Sonata cycle for $16 + tax and $3 shipping. Beethoven's Piano Sonatas have been my idée fixe for the last month or so. Currently have five complete sets, am considering a sixth.

Victor Martell

Right now I'm listening to the Annie Fischer recordings of Beethoven Piano Sonatas I ripped to Apple Lossless a few years ago. As far as I can tell, ALAC sounds the same as FLAC. However, most of the time I listen to CDs. I've more or less run out of storage space on my SSDs, figure having 1600 CDs worth of music is enough for that format. Have 1400 CDs right now, just got Freidrich Gulda's Amadeo Beethoven Piano Sonata cycle for $16 + tax and $3 shipping. Beethoven's Piano Sonatas have been my idée fixe for the last month or so. Currently have five complete sets, am considering a sixth.

Only five? Those are just the ones on my desk right now - Levitt, Buchbinder (recent DG), Pollini, Baremboim III ( is it the third? I mean the recent one on DG), Kovacevich... rest of the usual suspects on the shelves - been meaning to grab the Schnabel... :D

Top Bottom