• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the 8-track renaissance?

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'm 60 and somehow missed the whole 8 track thing. I don't even remember hearing one. I do remember a pal had 8 track in his car, but it was never working.
You didn't miss a thing.

An uncle had a Mustang, circa 1964/65. Had a "Mad Man Muntz" 4-track in the car. Kinda cool crusin' down Slauson Ave to Motown and Tamala tapes.

Jaxjax

I sure wasn't complaining with the few 8 tracks I had in my cars at the time. Slapping in some Boston etc....Never once thought it sounded bad...

pinger

I sure wasn't complaining with the few 8 tracks I had in my cars at the time. Slapping in some Boston etc....Never once thought it sounded bad...
Yeah i kind of agree. I'm 64 and remember well playing 8 tracks in the car circa 1980 or so. I remember the Jethro Tull 8 tracks from Chrysalis with the bright green color scheme! My fathers stereo had an 8 track and I used to tape live concerts from the radio to 8 track. Fun times

LouB

Nothing like an 8-track under the seat of 67 Nova ! Also had quadraphonic 8 track in the bedroom 4 speakers nailed to the wall, friends loved it, my parents thought I was an idiot !

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Masochism would be my guess.

My first car, a '73 Bug had a super cheap 8 track and Jensen speakers. It was definitely a love-hate thing. Loved the music and freedom of a car. Hated that freaking 8 track. The weird track changes, the long pauses in the middle of songs, the warble of stretched tapes. Bleh.

Now cassettes! That was a major upgrade! ;)

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I always like the sound of my 8 track tapes.
The wow and flutter could be a problem depending on the tape’s age and temperature.

Top Bottom