• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is anyone aware of Apple Music using vinyl as a source?

The single version of Love Me Do by the Beatles is sourced from a needle drop, so it’s not unknown when the masters are lost.
Interestingly the Debbie Harry EP looks to have only been released on vinyl at the time according to discogs - guess it was aimed at DJs. So if the masters weren’t well filed conceivably they could have had to go back to vinyl. There is a 'single edit' of good quality on some compilations (e.g. Now Thats What I Call Music 8) which they could have used for that track. I have to say I'd rather have them available in this form than not at all.

It's actually a good business idea: A streaming service that plays vinyl rips and shows the picture of the respective turntable used. This way you can get 100% of the sound of this turntable at home without having to clutter up your own place with them.
Premium subscribers get access to one of these six-figure devices and a video of it playing the record you are listening to.

The single version of Love Me Do by the Beatles is sourced from a needle drop, so it’s not unknown when the masters are lost.
Interestingly the Debbie Harry EP looks to have only been released on vinyl at the time according to discogs - guess it was aimed at DJs. So if the masters weren’t well filed conceivably they could have had to go back to vinyl. There is a 'single edit' of good quality on some compilations (e.g. Now Thats What I Call Music 8) which they could have used for that track. I have to say I'd rather have them available in this form than not at all.

I agree it is better to have them available in this way than not at all.

I just think they should be transparent about the fact that it’s a Vinyl source and they should at the very least make these transfers to digital on suitably capable playback equipment. Motor noise and distorted sibilance are not what I would expect at professional level.

I‘ve now ordered a 12“ vinyl copy on eBay, if it’s in good enough condition I’d rather rip it myself as I’m sure it’ll be a better result.

I agree it is better to have them available in this way than not at all.

I just think they should be transparent about the fact that it’s a Vinyl source and they should at the very least make these transfers to digital on suitably capable playback equipment. Motor noise and distorted sibilance are not what I would expect at professional level.

I‘ve now ordered a 12“ vinyl copy on eBay, if it’s in good enough condition I’d rather rip it myself as I’m sure it’ll be a better result.
Agree re the quality and that's a good idea! Discogs is a great resource for these hard to find bits.

Back
Top Bottom