• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

snob2012

for context , I have all of my hifi equipment in a 19" 27u av network rack and it looks sharp.
im having a pioneer rt-707 in the shop and a 19" 4u pc for the clarette im building soon as a server for my dac.

here is a 7" reel of tape I digitized on Logic Pro and remastered and its on Bandcamp for free download.

- mystery-tape-side-1
- mystery-tape-side-2

IMG_7269.jpg

I use my Focusrite clarette + 8 pre as a dad up to 24 bit 192 and it inherently has a natural sound signature and I use a pair of Magnopan mg1 I bought for 300$ and a trade for a Mark Levinson red rose m1 and they are powered by a pair of Chinese class d mono block 600 watt 2-4-8 ohm mono blocks which at higher volumes sound amazing but are not the best I think.
but back to the point of combining pro audio gear in high end audio. as pro audio has a flatter freq response it has more flexibility and forgiveness in what you pair it with.
I think that is a great mix and combination.
IMG_7192.jpg

I watch movies and listen to all the best formats on this system cd, cassette, records, and reel to reel. as well as digital over the computer. highly recommend a system like this.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I implemented a industrial professional power supply that I modified for very low ripple and noise for my active crossover. It worked great and had no hum, buzz etc.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use a pro audio loudspeaker management system from RCF, DX-2006. You'll find a lot of guys here use pro studio monitors, usually near field, but some larger.

ocinn

Quite a few people. Mostly for processing. Used custom-install DSPs are more powerful than almost any consumer solution, short of using a PC. And they are cheap (you can grab a used biamp tesira, bss, etc... processor for ~$300 and it will do 12x8 audio with more FIR taps than any miniDSP solution, for example).

@gnarly has a pretty insane Q-sys setup and probably has the most pro-gear in a home setting out of all of us.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Aficionados have not listened to a good horn and that's the issue. :D
I agree. Of course, there aren't a lot of good horn speakers around.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. Of course, there aren't a lot of good horn speakers around.
I agree too. Proper horns are rare these days. How many are collecting tangerine green Altec Lansing drivers and other stuff? Not many that's for sure.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree too. Proper horns are rare these days. How many are collecting tangerine green Altec Lansing drivers and other stuff? Not many that's for sure.
There's a big tendency with old stuff like that to ignore physics and modern crossover design. Generally people just put together a legacy system. Which is great for nostalgia, but not the best for sound.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a big tendency with old stuff like that to ignore physics and modern crossover design. Generally people just put together a legacy system. Which is great for nostalgia, but not the best for sound.
I have seen many Altec drivers but not many crossovers for sale.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen many Altec drivers but not many crossovers for sale.
eBay has plenty of old Altec crossovers. If you're looking for a legacy design, you may have to replace the caps.

In any event, there are schematics for the old crossovers all over the web.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
eBay has plenty of old Altec crossovers. If you're looking for a legacy design, you may have to replace the caps.

How does one replace a oil based cap? I worked with them en mass and it was a rubber glove arrangement for sure. Can be very danger zone too.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How does one replace a oil based cap? I worked with them en mass and it was a rubber glove arrangement for sure. Can be very danger zone too.
I'd just use polypropylene these days. But I didn't get the nostalgia memo :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a bad person in any event because I think the 802 is an also-ran o_O

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Ahh, c'mon -- everybody knows PCBs are what make the sound really pop! :cool:

I'm a bad person in any event because I think the 802 is an also-ran o_O
o_O, indeed! ;)
But seriously... I mean -- I have a pair of 802Ds, but they are currently gathering dust.

You (all) may, or may not disagree, but the weakest point of the venerable Altecs was (I'd opine, with characteristic humility) the crossover(s).
Probably the other big place for improvement were cabinet and (as @fpitas has pointed out before) horn resonances - which are "fixable".
:cool:

But that's not quite what this thread's about -- and although I have a few bits of pro hardware upstream of loudspeakers, none is in regular use. I.e., I am not too qualified to add too much more to the discussion. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a complete overkill BSS Blu-160 that I bought for sub crossover duty in a 2.2 system because it was cheap on eBay...

I've ended up finding uses for some of the other I/O. It's nice to have a hardware noise gate, compressor, and limiter for my voice chat mic.

G|force

Forum Donor
I have a complete overkill BSS Blu-160 that I bought for sub crossover duty in a 2.2 system because it was cheap on eBay...

I've ended up finding uses for some of the other I/O. It's nice to have a hardware noise gate, compressor, and limiter for my voice chat mic.
If you need another BLU-160 I have one I've been thinking of putting up for sale along with a Crown DCI 4|1250N amplifier. :)

Top Bottom