• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Calibration tool for Headphone + Hearing capability

g0ne

I'm playing with the thought of an automatic match based on the test on the bass section so below 1 kHz (at least). Of course, if implemented this has to be tested. By doing things automatic (so taking out the user interaction) a user might expect a perfect match. He may be disappointed with the resulting equalization by this automatic selection of an equal-loudness contour. But it could be very nice if it does work

Yeah this and the 0.5dB steps would make me very happy :);)! That's for sure!

Depending on the used volume the equalization needs to change according to some equal-loudness contour which is created for a specific genre (remember that the equal-loudness contour is "measured" with sines). In other words, an proper equalization has a static part (say sliders) and a dynamic part which continuously measures the played song and adjusts accordingly to genre, volume, equalization and set taste. Anyway, all the test tool can give is a selection dropdown box for creating the equalization. Equalizer APO (thus Peace) doesn't have any dynamic features for sound processing. It could have but it doesn't.

What I had to resort to is manually doing 2 different measurements: One being with maximum volume for immersive listening and one with half-way for quiet times. It would be so badass to do let's say 10 measurements and have a dsp or something adjust in between the ones based on the volume the sound is being played at (if the amp could measure the dB level listened to and send it back to the computer > Equalizer APO then this feature would technically be possible some time in the far far far future right ^^?

I know very little about audio still but came to wanting this from what I know about how displays are calibrated to standards that take into consideration the luminance in the room and how our eyes see light in different environments. Personally, I don't believe in the kind of adaptive eq Apple is doing that wants to adjust for genres and toward their own faulty frequency curve that also is not the same sock for every costumer. I'm a purist so I would like to listen to what after ear-conversion essentially would be flat listening at the right volume level. I have a feeling it's not linear scaling in regards to how our ear perceives bass and treble depending on the volume so a single EQ would technically not do it if one doesn't control for absolute volume (dB)? The mid-range I assume molds better to different loudness.[/QUOTE]

Peter Verbeek

I have a feeling it's not linear scaling in regards to how our ear perceives bass and treble depending on the volume so a single EQ would technically not do it if one doesn't control for absolute volume (dB)? The mid-range I assume molds better to different loudness.
As I explained in principle it isn't. Some advanced eq-ing software/hardware measures the outcoming volume and characteristics (by using a proper perhaps dedicated mic) and adjusts the eq set by the user dynamicaly like your display example. But as you're also saying the mid-range doesn't benefit as much of this dynamic way of eq-ing as the loudness curve doesn't change that much over the different volumes (Phon's). And this mid-range is where music is focused on. So this brings us back to static eq-ing: creating an eq based on taste, on some measured response or by using the test tool. Anyway, in principle this dynamic style of eq-ing we're talking about could be made possible by Equalizer APO. But the developer doesn't do much lately on his Equalizer APO project. Unfortunately I see no progression of this software at all. But it's free for some other developer to pick up where the developer has stopped. I sincerely hope this will happen. There are so many features requested.

I'm almost done with another Peace beta which has the selection dropdown box of contours at the different Phons. And it has a checkbox to switch the graph from showing the test profile along the selected Equal-loudness contour to showing what needs to be equalized which is somewhat easier to read concerning the weak and strong frequencies of someone's hearing/headphones.

g0ne

Yeah like you say there are so many things that could be added and improved upon in Peace so couldn't agree more with your wishes there.

I'm almost done with another Peace beta which has the selection dropdown box of contours at the different Phons. And it has a checkbox to switch the graph from showing the test profile along the selected Equal-loudness contour to showing what needs to be equalized which is somewhat easier to read concerning the weak and strong frequencies of someone's hearing/headphones.

This is awesome!! Can't wait for the update! More gradual incremental steps of dB and more frequency steps to EQ would be two of my biggest wishes going forward.

Which of the offsets (normal, weaker... etc) will be the one that best corresponds with the measurements one just did? If it's possible to quantify this decision process to the test itself with corresponding loudness then this is also something I think could be of great value. For know tastes and common sense will have to do.

OP
S

Silvian

@g0ne

I'll add some comments, mostly on the bass adjustments, based on my experience as a listener and lately - and that is, I think, quite important, as a "headphone manufacturer". I'm not offering anything for sale, but I now have about 15 different modern drivers which I have extensively played with over the last few months. I designed my own headphones from scratch and I have full control over all the variables available for tuning, probably even more since I also make my own earpads. I was curious about the differences between the drivers, if by using an EQ one could make them sound a lot alike. But they are different too. One "recommendation" I had in my write up was that a reviewer should first EQ the headphones + his hearing using this tool and then review. Otherwise, the review will be mostly about the tuning of the headphones which, if the buyer will also use this calibration tool, becomes irrelevant. I don't know if anyone took up on this, I don't read headphones reviews anymore, for exactly this reason.

And now about the differences between the drivers, especially in the bass region.
For example, I have the 50mm driver Denon uses in their 9200 model. Some people consider the bass "wooly" on those Denon. I don't know how the Denon sounds like, but that impression might be due to the tuning. I made it sound as I wanted via the mechanical methods and then I calibrated using the tool - one can never "perfectly" tune it mechanically, but one can get very close with this tool. I did the same for say the Grado 325e, for the Ora Headphones (95% graphene driver), and for a few other drivers I have. When I listen to the drivers Denon uses I still have to decrease the bass under 1-200Hz. I have a hard time thinking that anyone would consider the sound "wooly" but it still sounds "richer" that others. With Grado, even with my earpads which enhance bass, I still have to boost the bass a little in the same region and still, they sound less rich than the drivers Denon uses. For Ora, and it is a 40mm driver, I still have to decrease the bass. Unfortunately Ora tuned the headphones with a lot, way too much bass, perhaps to show off what the driver can do and so many people have been put off by the sound - no one told them they should play with an EQ!, not many manufacturers do, I don't know why.
The point is that there are other variables in play, some of them dependent on the drivers, which will influence our perception. When I listen to the same track, voice focused, I really feel that all the headphones and drivers present me with a very similar sound, I don't feel the need to change anything. The differences between the drivers in this area of the spectrum seem a lot less relevant for my listening than what happens at the extremes of the spectrum.
And so it is quite apparent to me that aiming for a tool which will be perfect for any one, any driver, any other variable, is not realistic.
A very easy to use manual adjustment is, I believe, the best we can hope for.

Peter Verbeek

And so it is quite apparent to me that aiming for a tool which will be perfect for any one, any driver, any other variable, is not realistic.
A very easy to use manual adjustment is, I believe, the best we can hope for.
Couldn't agree more. The search for the perfect headphones and its perfect EQ mustn't end up in a search for a perfect tool.

Peter Verbeek

Which of the offsets (normal, weaker... etc) will be the one that best corresponds with the measurements one just did?
Mainly that's about taste. When someone has gotten used to his/hers weaker frequencies it could be that correcting them to much will sound "wrong" by their ears. The same accounts for headphones when one is used too them. The resulting eq should always be considered as something that can or must be adjusted. But this resulting eq may be closer to some ideal than any manual eq or eq from the internet. That's one of the goals of the test tool. It's like you said: common sense is always needed. And of course, reading the manual :) Perhaps the test tool can be summarized by these sentences: Instead of searching for an ideal eq we get a tool which raises our awareness on the ins and outs of our hearing and headphones. The tool allows to gain more control over the audio enhancement process we're all looking for.

Peter Verbeek

This is awesome!! Can't wait for the update!
Your wish has come true :) If you will you can download the latest beta from my Dropbox. Copy it to c:\program files\equalizerapo\config, the folder where Peace is located. New concerning the test tool in this beta:
  • Selectable equal-loudness contour to match to your test profile, mostly to prevent major bass equalization so this doesn't have to be corrected.
  • Toggle to see what needs to be equalized. Just check the "Difference to equalize" checkbox.
  • Slider resolution lowered to 0.5 dB. And I've managed to overwrite the (quite arbitrary) Windows 10 default when using the mouse wheel on the sliders. There wasn't any simple way set the 2 dB mouse wheel change. But still I was able to and I hope it keeps on working fine.

korrika

I have registered in this forum just to thank you for this amazing tool. It's simple to use and have improved a lot the sound of my headphones (FLC8S). The eq curve is similar to the one computed with autoeq but without the thin sound and too much brightness that resulted from the later one.
So, congratulations for your work and looking forward for the next realeases.
Thanks!

Thalis

You're welcome. Version 2 of the test tool is coming soon. I hope to release a new Peace version this week or so.

This is good news indeed. So do I download the beta or wait till you release ver2 and also the new Peace ver?

OP
S

Silvian

I have registered in this forum just to thank you for this amazing tool. It's simple to use and have improved a lot the sound of my headphones (FLC8S). The eq curve is similar to the one computed with autoeq but without the thin sound and too much brightness that resulted from the later one.
So, congratulations for your work and looking forward for the next realeases.
Thanks!
Thank you very much for doing this! As a non commercial project, well, even for a commercial one really, such feedback is the best reward and the best motivational tool. Cheers

Peter Verbeek

I've released Peace version 1.5.6.4 having the improved version the headphones and hearing test interface. The following improvements are in this second version:
  • A selection dropdown box for matching the best equal-loudness contour to your test profile.
  • A graph to determine what needs to be equalized according to your test profile. I call this the "difference to equal" graph.
  • The resolution of the noise and sine sliders are now 0.5 dB. And the scroll wheel will now work correctly with this value.
  • On the "Use test result for equalization" window the eq creation option is now pre-selected according to your test profile.

Thalis

I've released Peace version 1.5.6.4 having the improved version the headphones and hearing test interface. The following improvements are in this second version:
  • A selection dropdown box for matching the best equal-loudness contour to your test profile.
  • A graph to determine what needs to be equalized according to your test profile. I call this the "difference to equal" graph.
  • The resolution of the noise and sine sliders are now 0.5 dB. And the scroll wheel will now work correctly with this value.
  • On the "Use test result for equalization" window the eq creation option is now pre-selected according to your test profile.

Hi Peter... since my Peace installation is 64bit... so I just put the peace64.exe into the config folder and execute the file yes?

Do I need to remove the original peace.exe?

Edit: Well i just straight ran the new file in admin mode without removing anything else and it worked just fine.

Last edited:

korrika

A big thank you!
After EQ-ing my IEMs with this tool and simulating binaural stereo with the approach explained here ( https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...to-setup-hqplayer-jriver-foobar2000/#comments ) I am more than happy!
I hope more people give it a try.

Peter Verbeek

There still seems to be a bug in 1.5.7.0 so I've taken that one offline. Unfortunately that put us back to version 1 of the headphones and hearing test interface. I'll report also in this topic when I'll release a bugfree version.

Top Bottom