• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Calibration tool for Headphone + Hearing capability

Thalis

Hi Thalis,

Did you start with the "Headphones and Hearing Test" configuration? The frequencies you have in your photos do not match those in the config I mentioned. Not that there's anything wrong with the frequencies in your test, but there are a few more useful frequencies in that config. Also, in case you didn't read it already, perhaps it is worth looking at how I do the test: https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/how-to-best-use-it. I used a lot of times, on quite a few headphones, and that's the process that works best for me. And yes, ideally it would be quiet enough to actually hear the frequencies, that's a problem I have, lots of traffic very close to my window and sometimes I have problems picking up especially the low frequencies.
If I was to aim for a validation that the tests, for both your headphones, were successful, I would expect, as I said in my write up, that both your headphones to sound a lot more similar than you were previously aware of.
Let us know.

Cheers
No I have not started with that but will try as soon as its quieter tonight. Like you my apartment is next to traffic and there is a severe thunderstorm raging right now :(

For the life of me I can't find "Headphones and Hearing Test" in the configuration list
You'll find in this zip file along with all other configurations. Copy it to c:\program files\equalizerapo\config and restart Peace. The configurations in zip file are also available on the Peace website in this folder on the Files tab.

Attachments

there must be something wrong with your processing.
I understand what you're saying. We'll review the processing. Probably end up taking a contour of 40, 60 or 80 Phon. At least with the corrected contour a decent equalization is possible. The headphones and hearing test interface is a work in progress. Thanks for your great feedback :)

At first I got emails on the new posts but suddenly I didn't. Therefore I wasn't reacting. I didn't change any setting. Why did the emails stop coming?

Thalis

Ok... tried the test again and the result is... different on the high frequencies... mid and bass about the same. Have to admit its a lot brighter now but more detail on the highs? Also the soundstage seem to have opened up a tad more. Not sure if it was necessary to do the frequencies above 13kHz but I have tried both with and without and its sounding the same.

Attachments

Not sure if it was necessary to do the frequencies above 13kHz
After testing up till 13 kHz you're basically done. The resulting equalization can always be finetuned, for instance adding more high treble. One could even say that testing the bass isn't that important, below 200 Hz or so. Bass can be added to in the resulting equalization like treble. Usually bass is a matter of taste, perhaps even more than treble is. In short, the middle part is the main testing area.

Thalis

After testing up till 13 kHz you're basically done. The resulting equalization can always be finetuned, for instance adding more high treble. One could even say that testing the bass isn't that important, below 200 Hz or so. Bass can be added to in the resulting equalization like treble. Usually bass is a matter of taste, perhaps even more than treble is. In short, the middle part is the main testing area.

I have done the test again for the Koss KPH30i and I think I have got it perfect for my ears now. But I have a question... is there any way for Wavelet in my android phone to import the saved config from EQ APO?

Thalis

Not that I know of. Peace is able to export an Audacity equalizer file but not to Wavelet. So it's a matter of precisely setting this equalizer according to graph on the Peace graph window.
Hi Peter... I found this bit about importing from AutoEQ and it would seem I might get around by creating my own CSV file. I am not sure but I assume I created a text file and use a CSV extension (eg Koss_KPH30i.csv)?

https://pittvandewitt.github.io/Wavelet/Import

It says not to change or remove the frequencies so I guess i have to punch in the approx values. Please advise if I am making sense. Thank you.

it would seem I might get around by creating my own CSV file.
Okay. I see it's much easier than that. The export file is a simple GraphicEQ command of Equalizer APO. It isn't a command or file structure of AutoEQ. Exporting to Wavelet is simply importing the, by Peace created, peace.txt file after you have selected your Peace configuration and, importantly, set the Peace equalizer to GraphicEQ (the button to the left of the Import button). But when you have used the test interface to create an equalization then GraphicEQ is used by default (instead of the default peak filters for equalization). Check out the peace.txt to see what's going on there.

Top Bottom