• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Calibration tool for Headphone + Hearing capability

Thalis

Just released version 1.5.8.0 with the bug removed. Although most users wouldn't stumble upon this bug, I just couldn't leave it that way. Anyway, we're now back again with the second improved version of the headphones and hearing test interface :)

hi @Peter Verbeek

I downloaded ver 1.5.9.1 64 bit and it seems to work fine but whenever I change EQ for the various headphones in the config list it takes quite some time to respond... a lot longer than previous versions actually. It used to be almost instantaneous in previous versions but not anymore in 1.5.9.1

Also the EQ stops working more often now and I have to restart the Windows Audio Service several times and restart Peace. Even clicking on the Settings button take some time for Peace to respond. I always run Peace in Admin Mode.

Could you simulate the problem I am having? Thank you.

Peter Verbeek

it takes quite some time to respond... a lot longer than previous versions actually
Could you try the response of the previous version 1.5.5.5? It can be installed by using the "A previous version" selection list in the Peace Setup Tool.

On my laptop Peace responses well. It takes less than 2 seconds to go to the settings. And it pops up the interface quite fast after a configuration switch. I don't use Peace in Admin mode.

Also the EQ stops working more often now
That's usually an issue with Equalizer APO, especially when the Windows Audio Service needs to be restarted. What could have happened is that some antivirus software is blocking Equalizer APO. This has happened in the past for several users. Perhaps uninstalling Equalizer APO and installing it helps?

Thalis

Could you try the response of the previous version 1.5.5.5? It can be installed by using the "A previous version" selection list in the Peace Setup Tool.

On my laptop Peace responses well. It takes less than 2 seconds to go to the settings. And it pops up the interface quite fast after a configuration switch. I don't use Peace in Admin mode.

That's usually an issue with Equalizer APO, especially when the Windows Audio Service needs to be restarted. What could have happened is that some antivirus software is blocking Equalizer APO. This has happened in the past for several users. Perhaps uninstalling Equalizer APO and installing it helps?

Hi Peter.... thanks for responding. I am using 64 bit version. Do I go ahead with the setup tool after closing the version of Peace I am currently using?

Edit: ah nevermind... i still have 1.5.5.5 installed.. will run that and see

Thalis

As for this issue do you know which antivirus is causing this this? I am using Avast and Win 7.

Peter Verbeek

As for this issue do you know which antivirus is causing this this? I am using Avast and Win 7.
I don't know. It must have been a topic or topics on the Equalizer APO forum where most users end up.

More info on such topics on antivirus software: Antivirus software may sandbox Equalizer APO at installation. I've only see that once on the Equalizer APO forum however Peace was sandboxed also once or twice. And Equalizer APO suddenly stopping as the registry keys it creates/checks were blocked by such antivirus software. This happened quite suddenly due to an update of the antivirus software. Sorry, that I can't remember what brands (besides its not stated usually). On the other hand, I saw once a topic of user which had an issue on the config.txt file of Equalizer APO. This file is the most important of them all. Interfaces for Equalizer APO like its Configuration Editor or HeSuVi writes to this file or in the case of Peace to peace.txt. Some antivirus software suddenly decided to block writing or creating of config.txt. Maybe because it blocked writing to the c:\program files folder or their subfolders. After granting access access to c:\program files\equalizerapo in the antivirus software Equalizer APO starting working again.

I say the above as antivirus software could intervene (check) with the Equalizer APO process slowing things down. So in short: registry writing/reading of Equalizer APO, creating/writing config.txt or other files in c:\program files\equalizerapo\config and sandboxing (although at installation so not in your case).

Thalis

I don't know. It must have been a topic or topics on the Equalizer APO forum where most users end up.

More info on such topics on antivirus software: Antivirus software may sandbox Equalizer APO at installation. I've only see that once on the Equalizer APO forum however Peace was sandboxed also once or twice. And Equalizer APO suddenly stopping as the registry keys it creates/checks were blocked by such antivirus software. This happened quite suddenly due to an update of the antivirus software. Sorry, that I can't remember what brands (besides its not stated usually). On the other hand, I saw once a topic of user which had an issue on the config.txt file of Equalizer APO. This file is the most important of them all. Interfaces for Equalizer APO like its Configuration Editor or HeSuVi writes to this file or in the case of Peace to peace.txt. Some antivirus software suddenly decided to block writing or creating of config.txt. Maybe because it blocked writing to the c:\program files folder or their subfolders. After granting access access to c:\program files\equalizerapo in the antivirus software Equalizer APO starting working again.

I say the above as antivirus software could intervene (check) with the Equalizer APO process slowing things down. So in short: registry writing/reading of Equalizer APO, creating/writing config.txt or other files in c:\program files\equalizerapo\config and sandboxing (although at installation so not in your case).

Well just to report... now 1.5.5.5 is also behaving just as slow as 1.5.9.1:(

I had a think about this and I believe this all might have started when I switched from Avira to Avast not too long ago.... :( When I was using Avira... EQ APO did stop working but very seldom. Now the issue is just Peace behaving so slow when I switch headphones configurations. Reason I switched to Avast was because Avira clogs up RAM pretty fast... up to 1.5GB usage. So I had to reboot PC once every few days.

Thalis

I switch from Avast to Avira 2 or 3 years ago. Avast became a bit annoying. I just couldn't mark a folder as being alright due to some bug. And it kept giving issues. Avira is alright most of the time.

Ah you did the opposite......... but did you find Avira using too much RAM like I did?

Thalis

No, but I had 12 GB in my old laptop and now 16 so quite enough RAM to work with.

Ok... I have 16GB too but Avira can hog 1.5GB to 1.9GB in just a few days without restarting Windows in my case. But thank you for response... very interesting.

Peter Verbeek

Ok... I have 16GB too but Avira can hog 1.5GB to 1.9GB in just a few days without restarting Windows in my case.
That sounds like a memory leak. I must say I shutdown my laptop every day. It starts fast. I stopped hibernating on Windows 10 as I had 2 BSOD when Windows 10 updated itself during the night. In other words, I couldn't have the issue of 1.5 to 1.9 GB.

Thalis

That sounds like a memory leak. I must say I shutdown my laptop every day. It starts fast. I stopped hibernating on Windows 10 as I had 2 BSOD when Windows 10 updated itself during the night. In other words, I couldn't have the issue of 1.5 to 1.9 GB.

Yes its possible of a memory leak but Avast does not hog more than 45MB at the most. Huge difference. I don't have any BSOD episodes and I am running Win 7 64 bit so no issues leaving it on 24/7. The OS has also been optimised for gaming/audio and does not update anymore.

Peter Verbeek

Yes its possible of a memory leak but Avast does not hog more than 45MB at the most. Huge difference. I don't have any BSOD episodes and I am running Win 7 64 bit so no issues leaving it on 24/7. The OS has also been optimised for gaming/audio and does not update anymore.
I also had no issues with Windows 7 but my laptop came with Windows 10. Microsoft keeps tinkering with this version for no reason imo. Avira is running less than 60 MB on my laptop btw.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Will there be a version for Mac OSX?

shogo

Thanks for this wonderful program, so far best for eq setting for me. I found useful to blind click many times on mute/unmute then checking do i hear or not, so i think a proper button for it would be nice (or even with the randomizing slider number)

Last edited:

Peter Verbeek

I found useful to blind click many times on mute/unmute then checking do i hear or not, so i think a proper button for it would be nice (or even with the randomizing slider number)
That's probably a very good way to do it. I use the space bar to quickly switch between muting and unmuting. I guess that key is the proper button you speak about? Although it doesn't do the randomizing of the frequency. I get this randomizing. It cancels the notion of aspecting to hear the set frequency. My way is to (also) blindly hit the space bar to cancel my aspectation.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

Paolo Piaser

Hi @Peter Verbeek

I have a problem, I can't tell if it is Peace. It just doesn't EQ anything. It works (test section, GUI), but it doesn't seem to EQ anything. I am on windows 10. Any ideas?

Top Bottom