• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Custom Loudness Control Tools

grisys

Hello Audio Science Review Community,

Today, I am excited to introduce projects I have been working on for two weeks: 'FIR-Filter-Maker-for-Equal-Loudness' and 'APO-Loudness'. These projects are in their early stages and are far from perfect, but they are crafted with my passion for audio and a desire to contribute to our community.

'FIR-Filter-Maker-for-Equal-Loudness' is a Python script that generates Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters based on the ISO 226:2003 equal-loudness contours. These filters are designed to maintain a balanced tone at lower volume levels and can be used with Equalizer APO, APO-Loudness, or other convolution hosts.

'APO-Loudness' is a Windows application that utilizes these filters to control loudness via Equalizer APO. It offers a simple interface for users to adjust the volume and target loudness levels with ease.

ApoLoudness_BCva9pvB3A.png

While they might still be a bit rough around the edges, these projects are open-sourced, allowing you the freedom to enhance and adapt them as you see fit. I warmly invite you to explore these projects on GitHub and give them a shot. Here are the links to the projects:
Thank you for your time and interest.

Grisys

gnarly

Major Contributor
Hi grisys, very cool work and very nice sharing!

With Equalizer APO, how does the FIR file swap out between Loudness contours work?
Any switchover delay? Or is switchover inaudible, other than the new tonality?

OP
G

grisys

Hi grisys, very cool work and very nice sharing!

With Equalizer APO, how does the FIR file swap out between Loudness contours work?
Any switchover delay? Or is switchover inaudible, other than the new tonality?

1. The script calculates the SPL delta for every pair of equal loudness contours that might be used, creating 2761. If necessary, the script can be modified to calculate the desired SPL delta. (https://github.com/andrewjhunt/equal-loudness/tree/main#spl-deltas) A decibel meter is required for accurate use. I was surprised at how good the Apple Watch is.
2. There is a switchover inaudible of about 0.7 seconds.

Last edited:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
ohh boy. Yesterday I created a complicated structure of config files in EqAPO to switch between compensation curves more easily. I just thought, "let me share this here". which topic? "let me search for a topic".
I will try this out and give you feedback

dasdoing

Major Contributor
1702728351241.png

it sits at -13.9dB because of normalization.

1702728393897.png

I sugest sugesting a pink noise at -14LUFS. a true pink noise on Youtube would be at that level. There are a lot of fake/wrong pink noises on Youtube though.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The script automatically generates 400 curves between 60.0 and 100.0 phon based on the ISO 226:2003 standard.

guess this should read "60.0 and 90.0"?
Personally, I would like to generate/use 60 to 100 or 50 to 90 since I use -35dB compensation sometimes. my system gets very loud and I use a flat target for my room EQ (try this out btw).

will wait for a reply on that one before actually trying it out

meristos

Hello Audio Science Review Community,

Today, I am excited to introduce projects I have been working on for two weeks: 'FIR-Filter-Maker-for-Equal-Loudness' and 'APO-Loudness'. These projects are in their early stages and are far from perfect, but they are crafted with my passion for audio and a desire to contribute to our community.

'FIR-Filter-Maker-for-Equal-Loudness' is a Python script that generates Finite Impulse Response (FIR) filters based on the ISO 226:2003 equal-loudness contours. These filters are designed to maintain a balanced tone at lower volume levels and can be used with Equalizer APO, APO-Loudness, or other convolution hosts.

'APO-Loudness' is a Windows application that utilizes these filters to control loudness via Equalizer APO. It offers a simple interface for users to adjust the volume and target loudness levels with ease.

View attachment 330577

While they might still be a bit rough around the edges, these projects are open-sourced, allowing you the freedom to enhance and adapt them as you see fit. I warmly invite you to explore these projects on GitHub and give them a shot. Here are the links to the projects:
Thank you for your time and interest.

Grisys
Incredible work! Does it work with Roon?

Top Bottom