• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BUCKEYEAMPS Hypex NCx500 Amplifier 2channel Review

Meanpeak

I think still some possibilities when I do exactly same process, but there are still some possibilities PSU do stand. So Important thing is doing new test with careful settings!
If you repeat the same exact test conditions it should fail.

Why not using a bigger supply?

I didn't read the entire thread, just asking.

Toni Mas

That video has already been analyzed and critiqued here; it's almost certainly not accurate.
Hard to say... The peaks seem quite high, but the average (rms or whatever) might also be an order of magnitude lower...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

Hard to say... The peaks seem quite high, but the average (rms or whatever) an order of magnitude lower...:rolleyes:
It would be interesting to see the manual for the used amps to see how the power reading settings interpret load impedance and bridging.

ClaudeJ1

This is a very thorough and helpful review. There has been quite a lot of debate about stereo vs dual mono vs monoblocks. Your review suggests that if people are expecting to run the amps at maximum (unless this is with very inefficient speakers I can't imagine how loud this would be!), they should go for monoblocks or dual mono operation.

For normal use, I suspect it's unlikely to be a problem!
I purchased a pair of Hypex NC-400 Kits, sound unheard, no testing for $1,600 to my door in 2 weeks, about 7 years ago. They were the easiest Kits I ever built in less than 1 hour each. I made the purchase based solely on the White Paper written by Bruno Putzeys, the designer (also of Purifi Fame). It is the best amplifier I have ever owned going on 7 years now. I got a taste of Class D 20 years ago with $25 Tripath amps a few decades ago when minds were blown at 6 Moons over it.

This Buckeye Amp, fully assembled represents an even greater bargain when you consider that current inflation (devalued US dollars), make it about HALF of what I paid for technology that is supposedly not as good as this.

All Y'all need to be grateful and stop splitting hairs that don't mean a darn thing. If you want to play louder, get horn speakers and quityerbitchin.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It would be interesting to see the manual for the used amps to see how the power reading settings interpret load impedance and bridging.
Assuming it's two A1's bridged that's what they state:

CH.PNG

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All Y'all need to be grateful and stop splitting hairs that don't mean a darn thing. If you want to play louder, get horn speakers and quityerbitchin.
Agree with horns (and favours of the recent generation of Class-D), but not with splitting hairs: specs should be reliable for customers. If specs give overestimates of power misfailure can be foreseen.

Toni Mas

Assuming it's two A1's bridged that's what they state:

View attachment 304549

Ah! Totally oversized transformer 1200va for 2*100w @8 ohm :p

Seriously implemented bridge mode.:cool:

xaxxon

@amirm I'd love if you'd make a video about the pitfalls of testing amplifiers. You've said in prior reviews that you're very careful how you measure and this review seems to be on the other side of things.

I'm really mixed feelings about my expectations to be able to use an audio amp for welding vs measuring by some subjective definition of music.

D

Deleted member 48726

It's an example of some that take their specifications a bit more serious than others.

But my question was more IR to the video and the power readings on the displays. On normal old-school meters you'd choose 2 / 4 / 8 ohm for the indexing to match. Others have several scales with power indications acc. to impedance. The amp from the video seems to be set up by app and to show only peaks.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
There are frequent references to using these devices as welding supplies. It's not my field, but I'm reasonably confident they can't be used for welding.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's an example of some that take their specifications a bit more serious than others.

But my question was more IR to the video and the power readings on the displays. On normal old-school meters you'd choose 2 / 4 / 8 ohm for the indexing to match. Others have several scales with power indications acc. to impedance. The amp from the video seems to be set up by app and to show only peaks.
The one in the video is discontinued but they seem to have an app controlling stuff,I saw a link somewhere.
Judging by their Swiss mentality they must have many modes to present too,I mean there's the ability to control even feedback there,display modes must be trivial.
And at this price range they better do.

SDC

If you repeat the same exact test conditions it should fail.

Why not using a bigger supply?

I didn't read the entire thread, just asking.

Because it is not his amp. I think it is perfectly normal not to experiment with rented properties.

SDC

I purchased a pair of Hypex NC-400 Kits, sound unheard, no testing for $1,600 to my door in 2 weeks, about 7 years ago. They were the easiest Kits I ever built in less than 1 hour each. I made the purchase based solely on the White Paper written by Bruno Putzeys, the designer (also of Purifi Fame). It is the best amplifier I have ever owned going on 7 years now. I got a taste of Class D 20 years ago with $25 Tripath amps a few decades ago when minds were blown at 6 Moons over it.

This Buckeye Amp, fully assembled represents an even greater bargain when you consider that current inflation (devalued US dollars), make it about HALF of what I paid for technology that is supposedly not as good as this.

Hey old lady watch your mouth.
I don't care about your history class and gratitude towards technology.
Amp should not die, Period.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hey old lady watch your mouth.
I don't care about your history class and gratitude towards technology.
Amp should not die, Period.

I'm hoping there's some nuances lost in translation in your post and the previous post. Be respectful and relax.

laudio

Reviewer seems a little giddy on this one. Comments like "after I fried the amp" are misleading, PS is clearly underrated for the spec. Then again just about every low cost class D amp out there is too - and who really needs 700W? Buckeye seems like a decent product for the price.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

For 8 ohms, yes, but for 4 ohms and below, 1200 VA is just about the right size, assuming the 1200 A rating as advertised is no bs, such as based on the vague term "continuous";).

Toni Mas

For 8 ohms, yes, but for 4 ohms and below, 1200 VA is just about the right size, assuming the 1200 A rating as advertised is no bs, such as based on the vague term "continuous";).
I agree continuous is a vague term but 1200 VA does not necessarily stands for 1200Wrms. In amplifiers rated for 2 x100w @ 8 ohm transformers rated at 300VA and even less are common place.

Also bridging BTL is commonly used as an easy trick for increasing the output voltage swing X2, allowing claims for power increases X4, and even more as impedance falls at 4,2 and even 1ohm (car audio) , but then continuous use is almost always seriously compromised.

I have been reading the datasheet of the NC500 and It clearly mentions a peak power of 700W @ 4 ohm, but also a ratio of 1/5 from continuous to peak power. Rms power is only rated at a modest 100w.

For me as a home user, It is great because It allows an headroom i could not imagine, but for PA use it means you are constantly at risk of something going wrong.

Top Bottom