• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BUCKEYEAMPS Hypex NCx500 Amplifier 2channel Review

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Wow so in 220V. Then I don't understand this.

That is why I open whole setting.

With really short term test with much less measurement point could disguise instantaneous squeeze out of capacitors as regular output.
(less point = way faster process)

큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.PNG

little different case but it will help to understand.
You can see way deeper it goes down before inflection point with 31 points than 200.
less pointed one spend way less time at high power zone = less heat = less harsh load.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Slovenia has 230V.
Calcs still fall a little short.

Edit:does Apollon uses extra heatshink?Maybe that helps.

In this case, It seems using shorter time itself as thermal advantageous factor.
It would be taken Less than 3 sec over 300 W area due to less measure point.

큐ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠ.PNG
THD+N Ratio vs Measured Level 4Ohm.JPG

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is definitely fault circuitry on the SMPS. The question I have is whether this particular design had those circuits wired correctly to shut it down. If not, Hypex should implement a fix pronto, and provide for retrofitting any unts already in the field. Not only is that SMPS 12000 A 700 expensive, Hypex routinely stocks out of them. I believe they're made in Malaysia, and it can take months for them to restock, or at least it did in 2020 when I was assembling my Eval 1 unit. In any case, there is no reason an amp should burn out its power supply just because its owner is asking it to play loud, no matter how loud that happens to be.

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
great to see more reviewers!

one suggestion for average-Joe's like me ;) more often: less is more

but truly amazing work!!!
In that case, Check this 4!

SINAD <- 22.4k is ASR standard. If you are familiar with ASR, just watch this.
Fr <- Look flat, then OK.
Multitone <- It is better if there are no any, except for 32 peaks.
Power sweep <- More power with less THD+N in uniformly at all frequencies is best.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is definitely fault circuitry on the SMPS. The question I have is whether this particular design had those circuits wired correctly to shut it down. If not, Hypex should implement a fix pronto, and provide for retrofitting any unts already in the field. Not only is that SMPS 12000 A 700 expensive, Hypex routinely stocks out of them. I believe they're made in Malaysia, and it can take months for them to restock, or at least it did in 2020 when I was assembling my Eval 1 unit. In any case, there is no reason an amp should burn out its power supply just because its owner is asking it to play loud, no matter how loud that happens to be.
Operating the unit into 2 Ohms is definitely a torture test for any amp regardless of the class. How long did the amp last into the load that killed it? Was it 2 Ohms? Why 2 Ohms with peak power? (Too low a load resistance.) This might prove that the units are not ready for 2 Ohms.

Swtoby

2. Protection did not work properly until amp finally self-destructed.

Most of AMP builds for consumer are made to leave out protections and don't spell out the specs properly. But For a modern Class-D amplifier like this level of high performance, we expect to not follow the bad habits of the past and give consumers the right thing.

To clarify, did the review unit not have protection or it did, but if failed to work properly?

Sokel

Master Contributor
Operating the unit into 2 Ohms is definitely a torture test for any amp regardless of the class. How long did the amp last into the load that killed it? Was it 2 Ohms? Why 2 Ohms with peak power? (Too low a load resistance.) This might prove that the units are not ready for 2 Ohms.
I see only 4 Ohms measurements,nothing else.Not even 8 ohms!

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
Now days, Consumer amplifiers also need to be protected just as well as concert halls.
With the advent of the latest Class D amplifiers, power levels are climbing enormous with time, which means that more protection is required.
100% agree with you.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
This is the amp I wanted, but I definitely would like it with a beefier PSU...Is that something he can add or does it have to come from Hypex ?
Dual mono (a PSU per channel) or monoblocks

OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
1. This amp is rated as 2 Ohm use in spec sheet on websight.
2. I've never connected this AMP to 2 Ohms load.
3. It was just 3 series of Various frequency sweep in 2 different gain Med, Low, High

Am I the only one who thinks that, When it specified 2 ohms power, of course, better protection is necessary and would work?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it definitely should have self protected this 4 ohms torture test without a problem.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I became annoyed at all the similar graphs and skimmed and scanned the stuff. Too many images and not enough details in text. :facepalm: (My bad!)
I agree and sympathise.

@thin bLue may I suggest you to add a summary section? Like the abstract on a research paper.

Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
OP
thin bLue

thin bLue

Reviewer
This is the amp I wanted, but I definitely would like it with a beefier PSU...Is that something he can add or does it have to come from Hypex ?
I'm not a maker. So contacting the manufacturers may be helpful.
However, you will be hard pressed to find a standalone PSU that exceeds 1200 W for the reasons outlined above.

Top Bottom