• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Brussels Sprouts

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are millions of them one mile from my house across Hwy 1, three crop rotations a year. I like them chopped up and cooked in bacon fat served warm with little rice vinegar and chili oil. Always fresh around here.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
FWIW (and nearly on tpic, so work with me, here!), we usually add bacon and a hoisin sauce-based marinade (recipe from Julia Child, but introduced to us by an erstwhile colleague, the late Dr. Braydon C. "Brad" Guild -- so we call it Brad's Sauce :) ) to kale when we make it. Red "Russian" kale* sauteed in bacon drippings, with Brad's sauce, some extra garlic, and crumbled bacon is most edible. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had them just a few times, cooked a few different ways over the last 67 years and they just didn't do it for me....but think I only tried once myself cooking them. Bacon does sound like cheating and possibly a waste of perfectly good bacon....

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
"Chinese" (Chinese-style) cooking was big in those days. My thesis adviser and his wife were both from Taiwan (he Chinese, she Japanese) and she, in particular, was a marvelous cook... Mrs. H and I picked up the techniques as best we could way back then and still really enjoy doing it from time to time. Lots of prep work but the end result usually justifies the sweat equity. :)

D

Deleted member 21219

Red "Russian" kale* sauteed in bacon drippings, with Brad's sauce, some extra garlic, and crumbled bacon is most edible. ;)

How to cook kale:

1. Boil a pot of water.
2. Add kale.
3. Add a pine 2X4.
4. When the 2X4 finally gets soft, throw the kale away and eat the 2X4. :D

Jim

DonR

Major Contributor
I've had them just a few times, cooked a few different ways over the last 67 years and they just didn't do it for me....but think I only tried once myself cooking them. Bacon does sound like cheating and possibly a waste of perfectly good bacon....
Wasting bacon is one of the Seven Deadly Sins, IIRC.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Baked in a dutch oven with a coating of olive oil and salt+pepper. Let them get slightly soft and they are yummy.

Wait, what?!

I think I have a very different understanding of what a dutch oven is...

To pull the duvet over your partner's head immediately before passing wind.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, what?!

I think I have a very different understanding of what a dutch oven is...

To pull the duvet over your partner's head immediately before passing wind.
LOL, I was scratching my head without the spoiler (which I didn't look at before quoting, didn't realize they become visible that way either). I have heard that one now that you mention it. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"In the 1990s, Dutch scientist Hans van Doorn identified the chemicals that make Brussels sprouts bitter: sinigrin and progoitrin."

Hmmm.

Upon first reading, I thought the name was "Hans van Doom".

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Halved sprouts, quartered artichoke hearts.

Sauté together in olive oil!

Mmm mmmm mmm.

levimax

Major Contributor
For me the best Brussle Sprouts are the small ones. Trim the bottom and remove the outer leaves, cut in half toss with oil, salt and pepper and roast @ 425 degrees until tender with just a little burnt edges. My favorite winter vegetable.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I live the Brussel Sprout capital of California, San Mateo County. Here are some fun facts. Just bragging that's all. :)

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Huge fan of these little devils. Halve them, toss in salt, freshly ground pepper, olive oil, orange juice, a little honey, some nuts, smoked paprika and roast in the oven. The kid inside me screams while I devour them haha

RDoc

Either just microwave them till soft and serve with coarse salt and butter, or roast in a 400F oven for about 35 min till soft on the inside and kind of crisp/charred on the outside, then roll in balsamic vinegar and a little salt.

These are about the only vegetable that I prefer pretty well done and soft. If you do it just right, the center is reminiscent of artichoke hearts.

We first had the roasted sprouts with balsamic at a bar in San Francisco served with dark beer. Excellent!

Top Bottom