• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying a headphone amp - comparison to Naim?

Monosauras

Hey all

Just came from trying out headphones and think I’m settled on the Focal Utopia (currently heavily discounted). I could justify it because they sounded so damn good.

Problem is, they had it hooked up to a Naim Unity Atom headphone edition, which suddenly takes me to an “I can’t justify this” price. I had them connect it to a Fiio R7 streaming amp, and it definitely sounded less dynamic.

I don’t need an all-in-one solution, so just wondering what I could get away with amp and dac wise that won’t leave me feeling I wasted my money on the Focal.

I hear recommendations of the Topping D 3 Pro+. Doesn’t look anywhere near as nice, but I’m only focused on the actual end sound quality.

Thoughts? Need some guidance here.

Edit: important to note is that I’m in Australia.

Thank you

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
M

Monosauras

Thank you!
One key detail I left out is that I’m in Australia. Quick search couldn’t find the Heretic sold locally.

I’m keen for more suggestions, but so long as I know I’m not waisting my money by not going fully in with the Nair as well (currently over $3000AUD), then I’ll jump in.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m keen for more suggestions, but so long as I know I’m not waisting my money by not going fully in with the Nair as well (currently over $3000AUD), then I’ll jump in.
You are making a wise choice by not spending $3000 AUD. It is not necessary. I'm not familiar with the Australian market so I can't suggest anything local to you. The Heretic can be purchased at the Schiit web page and there are shipping options available globally. It has a 2 year warranty too.

OP
M

Monosauras

You are making a wise choice by not spending $3000 AUD. It is not necessary. I'm not familiar with the Australian market so I can't suggest anything local to you. The Heretic can be purchased at the Schiit web page and there are shipping options available globally. It has a 2 year warranty too.
Thanks for that! Looks like I’d be down about $250AUD for the Heretic shipped to me. That’s a great option!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We have a DX3Pro+ and it's really great, the HD6xx in low gain is no sweat. Plenty of power for most things. I have a DX5 also and it's just not a good value compared to the DX3Pro+. I personally use a Topping E50 and A30Pro and wouldn't change a thing or upgrade this combo. The D30Pro matching DAC is great, but discontinued so really hard to find.

OP
M

Monosauras

Thanks, Dunring.

I've put it on my shortlist. I like the look and function of the D70 Pro as well. I'm in no rush so will keep a look out at prices over the next month.

Thinking of Raspberry Pi with Plexamp for the streamer, A70 or Eversolo Z8 for DAC, and then D70 Pro or DX3Pro+ for amp.

Top Bottom