• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 111 29.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 137 36.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 113 29.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 4.5%

• Total voters

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am trying to recollect of the high-end/expensive dacs that Amir has measured is it only the Tambaqui which has returned decent measurements? ( measurements commensurate with its price).
Keith

YSC

Major Contributor
I am trying to recollect of the high-end/expensive dacs that Amir has measured is it only the Tambaqui which has returned decent measurements? ( measurements commensurate with its price).
Keith
seems like so but I do have faith the dCS ones should be fine, though in my own bar I would say this one pass also, one can hear transparency only so much, the rest are additional "value" on other stuffs.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Expensive gear is tricky to vote on, the reasons for buying are far removed from 'just' good engineering.
This meets it's specifications, so there are no surprises and no exaggerated claims - rare enough!
Dated design (because it's 10 years old) and I'm not the target audience. It'll work well and any buyer should be pretty happy.
I don't want one, not that Bricasti would care!

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Those measurements make me wonder what it actually sounds like?

The design, the spec, the measurements, the sound - they're what they wanted them to be.

There's a part of me that says Bricasti knows more than I do.

Sokel

Master Contributor

The design, the spec, the measurements, the sound - they're what they wanted them to be.

Judging by the filters implementation they absolute know what they're doing,Amir said they are the best measured so far.
The brown (min. phase 0 I think,hard to tell them apart) is a true masterpiece.

But I don't expect it to have a sound,Multitone shows it's clean in it's broadband measurement.
You probably set and forget for decades as the components in there are top tier.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I think it is a bit unfair to "judge" or evaluate a 12 years old DAC in comparison with what we have today. Yes it was expansive but at least it was, by this time, certainly in the top of the game, if we have a look on measurements produced by @amirm on the old boys.

Please don't quote me, I just explain what I think but I am certainly wrong and it is useless to start a sterile debate.

sairp

I think 9000 for the chassis -- 1000 for the components justify the total price. ;-)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i feel like if you want to go back to 2012 this would not have been an acceptable product for $10k...

2012 was not the dark ages

DSJR

Major Contributor
I come from a perhaps brainwashed era of keeping the circuit path simple. This thing is complexity and excess almost for the sake of it - the kind of complexity you may have had in the late 80's to early nineties perhaps?

Sure the performance is good bearing the above in mind, but the fact appears to be you just don't NEED this kind of circuit overload nowadays and it would serve Mytech's designers well to look at simpler solutions these days, but maybe they've steered themselves too far up that particular blind expensive alley to come back?

I want to vote poor, but it's not a poor product, simply a ludicrously overpriced and now old fashioned one for the job it needs to do..

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think it is a bit unfair to "judge" or evaluate a 12 years old DAC in comparison with what we have today. Yes it was expansive but at least it was, by this time, certainly in the top of the game, if we have a look on measurements produced by @amirm on the old boys.
This product is on sale right now. You can get it with or without the SE revision. So it doesn't matter that the original came out a while ago. it is a current product.

TheWalkman

For the same money, I can, instead, buy 1000 of these Apple DACS or better yet, I can buy a single dongle, hang it on my iPhone and using the saved funds, spend three weeks on the beach in Fiji listening to my music library.

Decisions, decisions…

1709722083382.jpeg

milosz

Forum Donor
$10,000? How many miles per gallon does it get? What are the zero-to-sixty and quarter mile times? Wait, WHAT!?!?! It's NOT a used car???

DHT 845

As proud owner of the beautiful sounding Chord Dave I’m always interested in other dacs that measure horrible!
Dave does not measure horrible, but I bet all tube DAC's like Audio Note, Lampizator, Audio Research, old Sonic Frontiers do measure poor. And yet many audiophiles prefer their sound to clinical, studio like "perfection".

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

It will sound like every other dac in the top 7/8th of Amir’s list, just more expensive.
Keith

milosz

Forum Donor
Dave does not measure horrible, but I bet all tube DAC's like Audio Note, Lampizator, Audio Research, old Sonic Frontiers do measure poor. And yet many audiophiles prefer their sound to clinical, studio like "perfection".
I will bet dollars to donuts that if any of these DAC owners did blind listening tests to their DACs against other DACs they would be completely unable to tell the difference.

Top Bottom