• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BOXEM Audio | Arthur 4215/E2 Purifi Amplifier | Owners' Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 23424
  • Start date

nagster

As it's name implies, the switch changes the gain of the amplifier. Low=12.8dB - Mid=20.8dB - High=27.2dB
If the input of the amp is 1.8 V RMS, it's output will be:
High gain: 41V RMS, i.e. 280W in 6 Ohm
Mid gain: 19.7V RMS, i.e. 65W in 6 Ohm
Low gain: 7.8V RMS, i.e. 10W in 6 Ohm
If the purpose of the gain switch is to adapt the sensitivity of the amplifier to the upstream component, it can also be used as power limiter as demonstrated above.
Does low gain (12.8dB) bypass the input buffer?
Or does it flow through the 0dB input buffer?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Does low gain (12.8dB) bypass the input buffer?
Or does it flow through the 0dB input buffer?
Bypassing would imply changing the input impedance, which doesn't comply with the target of having an "easy to drive" amplifier. So flow through.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Surely that is just an attenuator pot up front on the input stage like a million other power amps?

Edit: Dual gang 100K pots up front.

1641697835201.png

BTL mono is incorporated by feeding signal into the inverting input of the differential FET front end or grounding the feedback R divider (NFB) in normal stereo. The actual gain of the power amp is not variable. That's what I was driving at. :)

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can confirm that mine lives in a cupboard and is barely above room temperature after pushing my speakers hard enough to move things on shelves in the adjoining room. Do other purifi builds have a tendency to run warmer? My VTV Purifi runs ice cold, even at ludicrous levels driving F208s.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is anyone else having issues when replying to posts using Firefox? Instead of the quoted section appearing up top in the box my reply appears at the tail end of the quote with no dileneation between them. very frustrating and misleading .

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Using Firefox. No problems with the quote box, although editing afterwards can sometimes be a pain if you have several quotes.

Is anyone else having issues when replying to posts using Firefox? Instead of the quoted section appearing up top in the box my reply appears at the tail end of the quote with no dileneation between them. very frustrating and misleading .

You do need to put the cursor on the first letter of a quote in a box and hit enter to get a line above in order to type above the quote.

Like this:
1641701570130.png

Then hit enter.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Can confirm that mine lives in a cupboard and is barely above room temperature after pushing my speakers hard enough to move things on shelves in the adjoining room. Do other purifi builds have a tendency to run warmer? My VTV Purifi runs ice cold, even at ludicrous levels driving F208s.
Yeah the vtv purifi runs very cold, even my headphone amp / pre amp class A 8w runs hotter lol

JeyElDee

Went to pick up my new Arthur 4215/E2 last friday. First impressions are very well.
Very transparent, open and musical sound, almost to forget there is an amp...
I have a slight impression it could beat my McIntosh MC252 on all fronts. It certanly drives the JBL Ti5000 speakers very well.
TBC ...

nstzya

The gain switch on the rear helps put my mind at ease with regard my better half blowing any speakers up. My Revel M16 can handle full power from the amp on the medium gain setting without issue.

You've mentioned this a few times - that you can run the amp at "full power", etc. How are you determining it is at full power? How are you using that term? Do you push it the clip indicator and back off slightly? Or are you just using the term loosely? Because on medium gain, you aren't technically using it at full power, per se... Not trying to be a stickler. Just curious if you've pushed it to clipping.

It's a well executed amplifier and beautifully crafted. Should serve you well.

nstzya

Sort of. Stickling and semantics aside... you refer to "even at full power". Are you running up against clipping (albeit at medium gain)?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Without being slanderous, I've always found that Boxem has a serious concern for design... their amp looks like a cash drawer. It's a shame because the rest is better.

Top Bottom