• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf speakers with similar response than HOMEPOD??

Xendros_1

I have a homepod (the big one) in the living room for listening to music and like the amount of bass it delivers without the need of a sub.

I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for my PC, for listening music and play games. Is there a pair of hifi speakers or active monitors with similar style or sound signature?

Thanks to @amirm's review we have Homepod frequency response graph:

Apple Homepod in-room Frequency Response.png

I've searched and all I can find means 6'5-8 inch woofer, wich honestly is too big for a near field bookshelf speaker.

Thanks!

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would just go on eBay. I see them for $299. I have 9 sitting around but I’m not sure I want to part with any of them.

The way they load a room is something special. I don’t know how they do it.

Otherwise maybe try Sonos?

I wonder if anyone else has any other ideas? Maybe Avantones plus subs? Anything will likely cost more.

OP
Xendros_1

Xendros_1

I would like to use it as regular PC speakers on my windows machine, for playing games and listening to music

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to use it as regular PC speakers on my windows machine, for playing games and listening to music
Yes and so just go on eBay and get a pair of HomePods. They are nice. They will fill the room very well. But would I say they are ideal for single person sweet spot listener? Probably not. But I have used them that way and they work just fine. But not the best for that use. However not bad at it either and bass is very good.

Oh I see now. You need to convert the line out of your PC into AirPlay. You can do it. However you need to go to a TV with eARC and then into a newer Apple TV which can then wirelessly feed the HomePods via airplay.

Personally I think the LG oleds are better than PC monitors so that would work. If, however you need to use a special monitor you may need to look into other ways.

I wonder if there is a PC program that can feed airplay.

Sputnik

The homepod gets the impressive bass with dsp, but they are not really suited as pc speakers.

You could have a look at the Vanatoo Transparent Zero or Edifier S350DB (if you don't mind a small sub), they also have very impressive bass for the size thanks to well executed dsp.

jbattman1016

Might be better served with a small desktop AMP and a set of passive speakers. Some speakers like the RSL CG 5 are good without the need for a sub.... but something like this won't look as clean and be more expensive.... likely....

jbattman1016

I'm thinking something like the Loxije for a small desktop amp and then you are open to really any passive speaker you can get your hands on.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That edifier is probably the way to go. I know opinions and all that. I would not touch passive. I knew better 15 years ago but still tried my hand at it. Total waste of time. The designer can optimize the crossovers and amps for each driver far better than we can.

Hopefully the Edifier is a true active. The one I had was not. I remember connecting just 2 wires to the other unit it so it was passive.

Try to go full active if you can. Some entry level studio monitors will work. KRK starts at low prices.

Last edited:

Sputnik

That edifier is probably the way to go. I know opinions and all that. I would not touch passive. I knew better 15 years ago but still tried my hand at it. Total waste of time. The designer can optimize the crossovers and amps for each driver far better than we can.

Hopefully the Edifier is a true active. The one I had was not. I remember connecting just 2 wires to the other unit it so it was passive.

Try to go full active if you can. Some entry level studio monitors will work. KRK starts at low prices.
I agree. This Edifier set has a 5-pin cable to the left speaker. It's a joy to listen to (desk use), always puts a smile on my face. And as you say, it's so well optimized, I could not do this myself with 4 times the budget.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. This Edifier set has a 5-pin cable to the left speaker. It's a joy to listen to (desk use), always puts a smile on my face. And as you say, it's so well optimized, I could not do this myself with 4 times the budget.
Oh yeah I forgot about that. I must have been mistaking the audioengine I had before. So it is active.

warpdrive

If you want to feel have bass as deep as the Homepod, there really is no substitute for a subwoofer. Even a system with a 6" sub should easily go as deep or deeper than the what the homepod gives you.

So the edifier system mentioned above, or just buy a set of monitors with a sub output and add any sub of your choice.

jbattman1016

I didn't realize, but Edifier also makes computer speaker setups that come with a sub. Not sure how good those are, but could also work.

Sputnik

I didn't realize, but Edifier also makes computer speaker setups that come with a sub. Not sure how good those are, but could also work.

The S350DB I suggested are those, and they're great. Since the TS says he loves a speaker that's dsp'd to the nines and wants that kind of impressive bass, those Edifiers seem like a very good choice for him. He really shouldn't go with passives.

OP
Xendros_1

Xendros_1

What's the budget and how much space to work with? Is there room for a sub?
The S350DB I suggested are those, and they're great. Since the TS says he loves a speaker that's dsp'd to the nines and wants that kind of impressive bass, those Edifiers seem like a very good choice for him. He really shouldn't go with passives.

I'm trying not to use a subwoofer due I have an elevation table and prefer to have the foot area empty.

Budget around $450

about size, regular 4-5 inch near field monitor.

warpdrive

If you don't want to use a sub, you'll need big studio monitors, probably something with a 6" driver or more. You want something that can hit 40Hz.

If you have a large enough desk, a tiny sub could be placed on top of your desk. Something like the Fostex PM-SUBmini could be placed beside one of your stereo speakers. Size is 200 (W) × 185 (H) × 233 (D)

Vanatoo Transparent One is also one option that will give you fairly deep bass without a sub (but you can still add one later). It can hit 50Hz -3dB. Otherwise the iLoud speakers offer deep bass for their size as well. I would go for the Transparent One personally if you have the budget

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to use a 3rd party AirPlay software called TuneBlade that connected to my Windows 10 PC to my HomePod mini. Worked well.

Top Bottom