• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing North Creek Okara II bookshelfs

robh

Hi community. First time post. I'm very much a noob on acoustic measurements so forgive my assumptions.

After about 15 years happily listening to my North Creek Okara II kit speakers, I'm looking to upgrade. I'm can't say I'm unhappy with them, but with current Hollywood movie mixing techniques combined with age related hearing loss, I'd prefer something with a bit more clarity. I still like non-fatiguing soft-dome tweeters, but surely there is something out there which takes it up notch?

Mine have the Scanspeak D2905/9500 tweeter options.
http://web.archive.org/web/20070701165438/http://www.northcreekmusic.com/OkaraII/OkaraII.htm

I have a 3.1 setup with 3 identical Okara speakers, with one on its side. I'd like to replace it with 3 identical speakers due to cabinet space constraints, so that means finding a bookshelf that behaves well on its side. ML position is 8' from center speaker. TV is 50" which will be 55" eventually, which means I may get stands for my next L&R speakers.

I'm all over the map with the KEF offerings, Arendal, Ascend Sierra-LX and others. Through reading the threads and review, it appears those are some options for a simple (MT) to be laid horizontal as a center speaker, with decent dispersion. I invite other options too, with the main requirement being a bookshelf that is adequate as a horizontal speaker. My budget is in the "reasonable" range. Width of shelf space with door grill for said speaker is 14" for the drivers, but the cabinet could extend a bit more.

Thanks.
Robert

PS. Is it possible no modern speaker will be much of an improvement over these? I've been out of the speaker game for a while, and these were fairly sought after in the mid 2000's.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 72

Penelinfi

Try using a broad peak or shelf filter EQ to lift the mid or treble parts that you think you may have diminished in hearing loss? Could be a cheap way to handle the issue assuming the speakers still work fine

Ricardojoa

I think the issue here is that the center is in a cabinet and not at listening height . once you put in a cabinet you get amplified low frequencies that muddies the mid. I don’t think the center is at proper height to give you the sense the mid are coming out from TV.

OP
R

robh

I think the issue here is that the center is in a cabinet and not at listening height . once you put in a cabinet you get amplified low frequencies that muddies the mid. I don’t think the center is at proper height to give you the sense the mid are coming out from TV.
That's probably true, but I have a Marantz receiver with Audyssey that hopefully compensates for that. I wouldn't object to buying a different piece of furniture, but at best it might raise the center speaker an inch or two closer to the TV base. You can't go higher than that.

Top Bottom