• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

TabCam

Hi all,

First time poster, nice to meet you all. As you will see from my question, I am a bit of a noob, but willing to learn. For context, I side with the objectivists.

I am evaluating to buy a Power Node 2i as a streamer as it seems to be the best software after Sonos, but with better audio quality from what I understood. Wiim is also a challenger.
I am trying to understand what I would need after the Node. I see most of you are using DAC, like Topping D30Pro or RME ADI-2.

I also see that the Node as RCA output, so technically, I should be able to directly connect it to a power amp. I was thinking about the Audiophonics HPA-S400ET or the Boxem ARTHUR 4215/E2 (but I would need RCA -> XLR, this I guess). Would this work? Would I be able to hear the difference if I plug a DAC between the 2?
As far as I know, the PowerNode doesn't need an external amplifier. The dac output of the Node is not that fantastic. The N130 when combined with a good dac and amplifier will sound a lot better, on well measuring speakers you would most likely hear that.

ptgreg

As far as I know, the PowerNode doesn't need an external amplifier. The dac output of the Node is not that fantastic. The N130 when combined with a good dac and amplifier will sound a lot better, on well measuring speakers you would most likely hear that.
My mistake, I wanted to buy the Node 2i (I think it's the same as the N130 you mention), not the "Power Node".

Could you confirm that, in theory, I can plug the Node 2i/N130 directly to an amplifier without needing a DAC using RCA output from the node?

reddavin

My mistake, I wanted to buy the Node 2i (I think it's the same as the N130 you mention), not the "Power Node".

Could you confirm that, in theory, I can plug the Node 2i/N130 directly to an amplifier without needing a DAC using RCA output from the node?
That is the typical use case. The node has L/R audio outputs that plug into an amp. You might need to adjust the input gain on your amp to match the Node. (If available). The Node is acting as a pre-amp and would control volume, some tone, etc. it uses/has its own DAC.

lpdot

Node 2i is different as it doesn't have a USB out for an external DAC (you could use the optical / coax though).

And, yes, you can hook up a Node directly to your amp via RCA. I have an N130 that is connected via RCA and an external DAC to different inputs on the same amp at the same time.

Last edited:

Jflijohn

I’m using the Node to feed a McIntosh MHA-100 DAC, I’m curious how the Node’s DAC numbers compare to a ~10 year old McIntosh DAC (ESS9018s).

Last edited:

Kendo

Can you connect the Topping D10s to the newest Node 130 - Im guessing Node 130 USB out into USB Topping analog out to Denon AVC A110?

lpdot

Can you connect the Topping D10s to the newest Node 130 - Im guessing Node 130 USB out into USB Topping analog out to Denon AVC A110?
Don't see why you can't. I'm using the Node's USB into Topping E30 into an Atoll integrated's analog input.

Kendo

Don't see why you can't. I'm using the Node's USB into Topping E30 into an Atoll integrated's analog input.
I ended up just getting a WiiM Mini Straight into the Denon with excellent results

Has anyone tried to connect a Topping DM7 or other multi channel DACs (Okto or miniDSP) to the Node? I've asked the Bluesound support and they replied that it is not supported. I ask because I also have played 6 channel FLACS on the Node and the technical info of the file shows 6 channels. 2 channels (L & R) of the 6, play fine from the onboard DAC and a cheap USB DAC I had laying about.

TIA.

jaymarnz

I've updated BluView which is my open source display for the Node that I wrote about in an earlier post where you can see a photo of it. This update was inspired by a thread about building a remote volume knob.

I started playing with a Microsoft Surface Dial and it's working pretty well for me. So I've released this update to BluView along with a companion Web Socket server that is the interface to the Surface Dial. Using a web socket also allows someone to integrate a Surface Dial with other applications like an IR transmitter, preamp or anything else besides a Node. The web socket provides a continuous stream of rotation and click events in JSON format that anyone can use for those sorts of things and I've updated BluView to take advantage of that. I've been running it on a Raspberry Pi but it should run on just about any Linux box.

I've been enjoying it over the last week or so and thought another Node owner might want to give it a try. Any feedback or suggestions are welcome.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, I received my Bluesound NODE today and gave it a whirl tonight.

First of all: Glory Be! It. Just. Works!

With the exception that I discovered it won't recognize my external music library usb drive because it's formatted for MAC. (The Raspberry Pi/Logitech had no problem). Apparently I'll just have to format a drive to MS-DOS (FAT) and transfer my library to that drive. So no playing from my ripped CD library tonight (I have to buy another drive).

That aside: I couldn't believe how easy it was to set up. Basically plug and play and I was off listening to Tidal and the internet radio stations that went missing from my Logitech/Raspberry Pi server for so long. (Still a mystery).

So I'm really, really happy out of the gate.

Except.... The sound.

I'm not sure exactly what is going on. I've run the optical out of the Bluesound NODE in to my Benchmark DAC2L. I chose the "output level fixed" setting for the Bluesound. So should be good to go.

On the BlueOS controller app I opened up TuneIn Radio, my preferred internet radio source. I played two of my favorite radio stations and when the sound came on it almost seemed like the speakers were wired out of phase. That is, the sound seemed more wispy and vague than I'm used to. Didn't have the solidity and punch. I thought at first maybe I was just too used to having listened to my vinyl front end and the change was screwing with my head. But track after track from the internet radio station just seemed different, not as great as I remembered.

Then I just wanted to test airplay from my phone, so I opened the TuneIn Radio app on my phone, played the same streams and sent them Airplay to the Bluesound. Then...whoa! There it was! More like the sound I was used to. It sounded more solid, present, punchy. WTF? I double checked that I'd chosen the same streams on both the iphone TuneIn app and via the Bluesound app. Yup. So I started switching back and forth between the streams sent via airplay and the streams from the BlueOS app (volume being fixed on both), and there seemed a distinct difference of the type I've just described.
Some announcers voice, for instance, centered between the speakers sounded insubstantial and "see through" but boom, sounded dense and solid and more present from the airplay stream from my phone.

Now, this isn't making sense to me - I'd expect the Bluesound is sending exactly the same bitstream to my DAC as my Raspberry Pi. So I would like to think it's my imagination. But frankly, while subtle, this "difference" seems so distinct (and density of sound is something I always key in on), that it's hard to shake the impression.

Can anyone explain IF there could be a sonic difference and what could be going on?

Tomorrow I'll be able to try my music library via USB I hope.

Just going back to this: I JUST now discoverd that the Audio Quality for music on my iphone streaming was set to "Cellular Streaming High Quality" - so a AAC 256 kbps - rather than "Lossless Audio." I wonder if this could account for the sound difference I seemed to hear when streaming from my iphone vs through the Bluesound Node itself. Will have to check...

reddavin

I think I heard coax digital out is preferred to optical because of something technical. Bits maybe. I went coax to Benchmark DAC.

lpdot

The latest FW has messed up the USB output in the Node. The device freezes after approx 48 hours when connected to an external DAC via USB. Details are in this thread.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The latest FW has messed up the USB output in the Node. The device freezes after approx 48 hours when connected to an external DAC via USB. Details are in this thread.
Yes, it's a pain in the neck. I have to power cycle my system every other day. Hope they get it fixed soon.

Lsc

Hmm..I just bought my node last Friday. Haven’t had to reboot yet but the first thing it did was automatically update the firmware.

lpdot

Yes, it's a pain in the neck. I have to power cycle my system every other day. Hope they get it fixed soon.
Switched to optical out for the time being: having to power cycle every two days is a nuisance.

A shame really, since the Node appeared very stable until this unfortunate update.

lpdot

Hmm..I just bought my node last Friday. Haven’t had to reboot yet but the first thing it did was automatically update the firmware.
Are you using an external DAC connected via USB?

Lsc

Are you using an external DAC connected via USB?
Yes that’s exactly my setup. I just had the node freeze up last night and had to unplug and replug. I think this is what you guys are talking about.

Top Bottom