• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

freedomgli

Now that Wiim pro has been released, this is obsolete unless you are in the bluesound ecosystem.
the node has advantage of apt x Bluetooth, and has some exclusive jazz events.
Wiim Pro is not a Roon Ready or Roon Tested endpoint. Bluesound Node is. That is important distinction for many users including me. So no, the Bluesound Node is NOT obsolete. The same age old questions about which streamer/ digital transport/ network bridge/ DAC still exist as people try finding the sweet spot for themselves in terms of features, cost, value, performance, etc.

Mine was doing that too. Just got the latest FW installed and it seems better now.

fireboy1968

First it works well with an external DAC and the first time you connect via USB, everything is set. But since Apple no longer cares about iOS compatibility with third party apps and devices, I have not been able to use it at all with my iPhone for a few months. but it works quite well with my Amazon desktop app. And since the node is Bluetooth discoverable, you can make your loudspeaker system, the sound system for your laptop. But one complaint, even hooked up to an extender over Ethernet, I lose network connectivity regularly and every time that happens, I need to reset the node.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NODEX-anniverasy-high-rex-streamer-top-700x700 (1).jpg

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
View attachment 284937
At least this one has a decent DAC chipset. Let’s see if it performs better than the N130. I have no plans on getting a NODE but would like to see this one tested by @amirm ;)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Mine had USB drop outs since USB got enabled and never worked properly. I gave up on it and sold it in exchange for a Matrix Audio element 2i which performs flawlessly.

Lsc

Mine had USB drop outs since USB got enabled and never worked properly. I gave up on it and sold it in exchange for a Matrix Audio element 2i which performs flawlessly.
Makes sense. That’s what I’m considering as well.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting comment regarding USB out and dropouts. I use a Topping D30Pro with USB out from the Node and haven't had any such problems. I wonder whether the problems you guys have are at the DAC end rather than the Node end. Also, the Node N130 has sub out with crossover but apparently it isn't usable if you're also outputting to an external DAC via USB. I don't think the new model is likely to be different in that regard.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Interesting comment regarding USB out and dropouts. I use a Topping D30Pro with USB out from the Node and haven't had any such problems. I wonder whether the problems you guys have are at the DAC end rather than the Node end. Also, the Node N130 has sub out with crossover but apparently it isn't usable if you're also outputting to an external DAC via USB. I don't think the new model is likely to be different in that regard.
You have no problems because D30Pro is not MQA. USB dropouts mostly happened when playing MQA over Tidal/Roon. It happened to me with D90SE and E50. Moving to digital coaxial fixed the dropouts.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
Also, the Node N130 has sub out with crossover but apparently it isn't usable if you're also outputting to an external DAC via USB.
And not just via USB but also coax and optical as well. Same with tone controls, which only work using their internal DAC. As I understand it Bluesound chose to keep digital-out unmolested for those of us who use external DACs. I would have preferred having these features active across all outputs.

Esss

You have no problems because D30Pro is not MQA. USB dropouts mostly happened when playing MQA over Tidal/Roon. It happened to me with D90SE and E50. Moving to digital coaxial fixed the dropouts.
I am running the Node N130 USB to the SMSL SU9 - no dropouts. SMSL does the full unfolding. I thought they might include a USB DAC input for a change on the Node X - you know for Apple Music.

Lsc

I am running the Node N130 USB to the SMSL SU9 - no dropouts. SMSL does the full unfolding. I thought they might include a USB DAC input for a change on the Node X - you know for Apple Music.
Yes when I was running the Node N130 to SMSL DO300, I also got no dropouts. With going directly to my pre pro the USB connection is unusable.

I contacted Bluesound and they said there is no fix and listed products that were incompatible via USB to the N130. They essentially have a defective product…this is my first and last Bluesound product. :)

nstzya

USB is more complex (and finicky) connection than I ever understood. Wonder if Node X addresses it at all If it’s hardware related.
Do you have a link to that list of incompatible equipment?

PortableMusic

may i ask if different generations of the Node, i.e. the Node 2i, the current Node, and the Node X, are still able to play music TOGETHER sync'd in one household? one would think so, but they didn't make it clear in their announcement.

Top Bottom