• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blind test listening results by professional audio engineers in the Los Angeles area

Erici

Forum Donor
Interesting test results from the Hollywood Sapphire Group of audio engineers. How good are the golden ears?

RDoc

Clearly the LED's loaded the circuit differently. Red LEDs are going to sap the low frequencies whereas the blues will cut back the highs. The red circuit will have significantly less gravitas.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we all know that LEDs ruin the sound, no matter what color they are.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Everyone is subject to expectation bias. Everyone!
Except our trolls. And they're only here to keep us honest.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anybody remember the Wharfedale speakers that sounded differently depending on their color?

I did a quick link search but came up empty.

Same model speakers, with perception of sound being different by color. I think "blue' won!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody remember the Wharfedale speakers that sounded differently depending on their color?

I did a quick link search but came up empty.

Same model speakers, with perception of sound being different by color. I think "blue' won!
Well, yeah. That's why high end amps get blue LEDs.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Nothing surprising and not the 1st time something like that has been done. And sometimes the suckers... uh... participants... are told that one is a tube amplifier and the other is solid state, or something like that. It reminds of me of something I noticed when taking psychology in college - Almost all psychological/behavior experiments involve deception!

Almost nobody in pro audio does blind listening or blind switching as part of their job and most have never participated in a proper-scientific blind listening test. And IMO, most mixing & mastering engineers over-estimate their hearing ability, just like most audiophiles, until they are humbled by a blind listening test.

I would have asked, "How confident are you?" When you are forced (or encouraged) to make a choice you'll probably make one.

there was much discussion among the membership, describing the audible differences between A and B.
Groupthink tends to make the bias stronger and worse.

An ABX Test doesn't have red & blue LEDs but it could be valid if "X" has a yellow LED, or something like that because A & B are identified anyway and "X" removes the bias.

P.S.
It's too bad that more of them weren't skeptical of the test and/or skeptical of their own perceptions. WE NEED MORE OF THIS! I don't expect audiophools to ever change but maybe the pros can learn! :p

Last edited:

b7676

We should expect the null set to be embarassingly imperceptible. Detecting gross and/or fine mimicry of sound isn't handled by our ears. Imagine the 'expense' if it was. Birds should be trained to these experiments. Dogs, mice, etc.

OP
E

Erici

Forum Donor
We should expect the null set to be embarassingly imperceptible. Detecting gross and/or fine mimicry of sound isn't handled by our ears. Imagine the 'expense' if it was. Birds should be trained to these experiments. Dogs, mice, etc.
But we trust our ears. After all, we don't listen to measurements!!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The result is so common, and to those knowing much about such things exactly as expected. The value in doing this over and over is experiencing it. Experiencing it makes the idea stick much better than being told about it, or being taught what to expect.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The result is so common, and to those knowing much about such things exactly as expected. The value in doing this over and over is experiencing it. Experiencing it makes the idea stick much better than being told about it, or being taught what to expect.
And yet I’m sure 95% of these people chose to ignore this result and went back to their old foolish ways after at best a few days :facepalm:

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet I’m sure 95% of these people chose to ignore this result and went back to their old foolish ways after at best a few days :facepalm:
It was the test I tell you!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't like the result, discredit the test.
Sounds like politics!
Exhibit A. It helps if you bore everyone to death while spouting nonsense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom