• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blimey, I may agree with Darko

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
right click open in a new tab works too

Axo1989

Major Contributor
right click open in a new tab works too

Ahh ok, that's what I was doing actually. Did that always work? For some reason I thought it didn't a while back.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahh ok, that's what I was doing actually. Did that always work? For some reason I thought it didn't a while back.
you are right it doesn't in the OP but later it does?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
you are right it doesn't in the OP but later it does?

Hmm I can get the 403 result with a double-click from the OP link, but a right-click is actually ok for me right now. Might vary a bit with browser settings (I have some ad-blocking and cookie-blocking stuff running which can make better/worse) but there have been those odd things with Darko's web setup going back a fair while for sure.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, right click, open in new tab, works for me.

Travis

Enjoyed the article by Darko, think he is correct, but not too sure that is DR software is accurate, or not.

The 2 LP set is sold out. New copies are now selling for double.

Most reviews I have seen are positive, a few have referred to the Darko article and say it’s smooshed. So who knows.

Travis

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Mastering can be more important than format. Good mixing consoles have sufficient signal to noise ratio. Red Book CD is probably sufficient, but no commercial recordings really use the full 16 bits of sound range. This is because music is mastered to be consumable in noisy homes and cars which have perhaps half the range that a CD can handle.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Then again some recordings just start off with better roots in the actual recording than some others....
Exactly this. I have ripped a few tracks from some DVDs I have, and the quality is quite amazing, even when downsampled from 48kHz to 44.1kHz.

The resulting sound is more dynamic and clearly sounds better than the equivalent CD.

Similarly, I recently bought a Dire Straits remaster, which used the SBM process from Sony - and the quality is better than the original CD I bought about 20 years ago.

Ironically, I ripped the vinyl recording (Dire Straits) which sounded better than the original CD - I just think that over the years, audio enthusiasts have been taken for a ride with poor CD mastering. Even many of the so called "HD" tracks don't sound that good (mostly because they are upsampled from the original CD.....)

Waxx

Major Contributor
Darko should first fix his website, my firewall and browser protection goes nuts when i try to reach that link (even by copy/paste) for insecure and spyware. I did use to check his site, because sometimes he brings a point to the table that is worht thinking about. But with that dodgy website, i don't go there anymore. I don't know if there is a real danger, but if i have to fiddle 5 min to get on a website because of the lack of standard security, i don't bother anymore...

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Darko should first fix his website, my firewall and browser protection goes nuts when i try to reach that link (even by copy/paste) for insecure and spyware. I did use to check his site, because sometimes he brings a point to the table that is worht thinking about. But with that dodgy website, i don't go there anymore. I don't know if there is a real danger, but if i have to fiddle 5 min to get on a website because of the lack of standard security, i don't bother anymore...
Are you sure his site has issues as none were detected in a scan.

1693831499931.png

Joaquinín

I agree with Darko on this. BTW, there is an even easier "crap-detector" out there than the software he mentions, at least for us Audirvana users: The Waveform Display. Every time you load a track, you can instantly see at a glance if it has been crapified or left be. If the upper or lower parts of the waveform are completely flat (sometimes throughout all the track, others only in some parts of it), the sound degradation is guaranteed.
Annoyingly, it's precisely many of those "remasters" that now are available in "HD" where you see that terrible loss of natural dynamics (which also makes the sound of instruments and voices unsufferable). Sometimes the higher quality version of one track is hidden in some compilation disc that has not been tampered with.
I am really shocked that this "trimming" of the sound has not been legally denounced: Would you accept as legitimate a book's edition that is missing some lines in every page, or an album of paintings where the colours have been altered or the edges trimmed? New generations are losing the possibility to hear the music legacy of the past in an unadultered form.

Whoareyou

Forum Donor
It's a combination of many factors, and it all does start with the master as some are just better than others.
But as shown in the linked video above, the same master can provide two different waveform results, and give the appearance of better DR value.
You must compare apples to apples or the results are suspect.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Link in the OP is working. Personally, I think Darko has some stones. He actually rated a large number of DAC's subjectively dividing them into 5 or 6 tiers. That's not reality.

ReDFoX

If the upper or lower parts of the waveform are completely flat (sometimes throughout all the track, others only in some parts of it), the sound degradation is guaranteed.
I am really shocked that this "trimming" of the sound has not been legally denounced
Why do you think that limiting always ruins the sound? I mean, how can you create a pop mix that doesn't "fall apart" when played on a Bluetooth or laptop speaker? Sometimes, it's necessary to have certain crest-factor for genre. Jazz at -6LUFS will sound like trash due to instruments nature, but for something like pop or DSBM or even noise, you can't just put it "as is" because your balances will fall apart when played loud on a crappy system

Top Bottom