• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Blimey, I may agree with Darko

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Read this and found myself agreeing: short version... Mastering matters more than format

Am I ok?
Also, I've seen this before where the audio from blue-ray disks and other surround sound formats is thought to be good. What's the best way to rip these?

Tom C

Major Contributor
The link in your post won't work for me. I get a 403 error.
For ripping blu-ray, you can use MakeMKV.
For ripping multichannel SACD, you can use the Sony blu-ray player hack from MikeyFresh. You can find links to instructions on the ASR website. If you need the link, I can dig it out.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
403 Forbidden. Now I'm interested!

OP
JeremyFife

JeremyFife

The link in your post won't work for me. I get a 403 error.
For ripping blu-ray, you can use MakeMKV.
For ripping multichannel SACD, you can use the Sony blu-ray player hack from MikeyFresh. You can find links to instructions on the ASR website. If you need the link, I can dig it out.
Ah, thanks - not sure how to fix the link, but hopefully the title is enough for googling.
The piece was a discussion of the various releases of Stop Making Sense with a conclusion that the original CD sounds best (use of Dynamic Range analysis too, which is indicative but not reliable)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The link works if you remove the trailing forward slash. https://darko.audio/2023/08/when-hi-res-audio-stops-making-sense (Oh wait, no, he blocked ASR? lol)

Frankly I don't think he says anything wrong in this post, huh!

It's pretty long for what it is, but the TL;DR is dynamic range and mastering are more important than the format, and the differences in mastering / DR are audible. He uses different versions of a famous Talking Heads recording as his example of this.

Yep!

OP
JeremyFife

JeremyFife

Yeah, the childish little f*ck barred any referral from ASR :facepalm:

You have to copy the URL, paste it in a new window/tab, then it will work.
and I was being nice!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then again some recordings just start off with better roots in the actual recording than some others....

jbattman1016

You need the BEST mixing console when making the recording! We need to get some measurements going....

Freeway

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember an old saying about a stopped clock and its accuracy.

OP
JeremyFife

JeremyFife

I remember an old saying about a stopped clock and its accuracy.
Now, now... let's play nice. This may be the start of something good :)

Salt

Forum Donor
Put it on the desk at it was captured.
What else.

Greenman

Read this and found myself agreeing: short version... Mastering matters more than format
I’ve not seen the Darko video but based on your synopsis I totally agree. I only started my streaming journey a few months ago. I had the idea that ‘hires’ streams would be a real improvement over the cd Quality that I was used to. it took me about a week to realise this was not the case at all. A couple more weeks passed before I just stopped worrying what res the streams were in as long as they are at least CD quality.

Simply put, some hires are great, some cd quality are great. Even comparing different res of the same album isn’t as cut and dried as you might think and seems no better than 50:50 that the hires will sound better.

egellings

Major Contributor

Am I ok?
Also, I've seen this before where the audio from blue-ray disks and other surround sound formats is thought to be good. What's the best way to rip these?
I got an "error 403--forbidden" message when I tried to view the link.

Travis

You need the BEST mixing console when making the recording! We need to get some measurements going....
It was an API console, and an Ampex 1200

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Yeah, the childish little f*ck barred any referral from ASR :facepalm:

You have to copy the URL, paste it in a new window/tab, then it will work.

Well, I wouldn't want all ya'll crashing my party. I've been here long enough to know that.

But yeah it's a general thing for external linkage, not ASR-only I think. Not sure if he's just on a weird platform, or if it's deliberate but there's similar weirdness with cookies. No EU-normal opt-in for cookie settings, just a blanket accept to view content, which I consider dodgy. And I'm not even a Darkophobe.

As for the article, yes: mastering matters more; but no: as many here have observed in other threads DR database numbers aren't really dynamic range, and more importantly shouldn't be used to compare digital with vinyl.

Last edited:
Top Bottom