• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BIC FH6-LCR Center Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 94 65.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 31.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the BIC FH6-LCR home theater speaker. It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me. It costs US $150.
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker Review.jpg

Speaker is the usual center configuration of "MTM" (dual woofers with tweeter in the middle) which we know will create a narrow sweet spot -- opposite of what you want in most home theater applications. Dual woofers look nice (marketing) and provide excellent power handling which we do want.

What we don't want is shoddy construction but that is precisely what we had. Upon unboxing I saw one woofer screw ready to fall out:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker screw loose.jpg

Tried to tighten but could not full as the thread was stripped. Tested the rest of the screws and none would tighten in either woofer! Clearly the front baffle is thin and screws were overtightened causing none of them to really hold. I expect low quality from "BIC" brand but this is lower than that low bar.

Edit: forgot to post the back panel:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker back panel Review.jpg

Nice to see various mounting hardware.

BIC FH6-LCR Measurements
As usual we start with our anechoic frequency response measurements created by Klippel NFS measurement gear:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker frequency response measurements.png

Ouch! There seems to be no attempt to create a flat on-axis response or control resonances. On the plus side sensitivity is quite high so we should be able to correct these to some extent with equalization. Note that these measurements are in horizontal configuration unless stated otherwise.

Due to beaming of the dual woofers, we actually get a self correcting mechanism to some extent when we look off-axis:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker predicted in-room frequency re...png

Indeed, we almost get a flat predicted in-room response!
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker predicted in-room frequency re...png

We know though that this will sound bright perceptually.

Due to lack of port, the near-field (non-anechoic) response is better than some other speakers, sans the uneven tweeter response:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker near field frequency response ...png

Impedance dips very low but fortunately it is at higher frequencies where the demand on the amplifier is lower:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker impedance and phase measurements.png

We can see the problem with MTM configuration clearly in our horizontal directivity measurements:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker horizontal beamwidth measureme...png

BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker horizontal directivity measure...png

You can rotate the speaker and use it vertically and then these vertical measurements become horizontal:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker Vertical directivity measureme...png

Here, the tweeter is beaming so no panacea.

I was pleasantly surprised by the low distortion at 86 dBSPL:

BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker Distortion THD response measur...png

BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker Distortion relative THD respon...png

Finally, here are the waterfall and step responses:
BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker CSD Waterfall measurements.png

BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker step response measurements.png

BIC FH6-LCR Listening Tests
The "showroom sound" quickly got me on the first random track that was in my listening test queue. The highs can bring the experience of hyper resolution and openness. Predictably, after a minute of listening and switching to my standard reference tracks and I wanted to stop the music: it was that bright. So I brought out the EQ tool and applied a few quick corrections:

BIC America FH6-LCR Formula Series FH6-LCR Home Theater Speaker equalization EQ.png

Now the sound was more balanced and quite good at times! I think the low distortion contributed to clarity I was hearing (or maybe it was left over showroom sound :) ). Speaker refused to play anything in sub-bass region which was good actually. Many speakers try to play and what comes out is very distorted. Since home theater applications have subwoofers anyway, this is not a bad design.

Beaming of the mid-woofers was quite apparent with large tonality change as you shifted left and right at close distances to the speaker.

Conclusions
The cost of this center speaker is quite low. And you do pay for that with shoddy construction. Assuming you remedy that (put toothpicks in each home and tighten the screws in that), what you wind up with is an ultra bright speaker if listened to on-axis. And completely different response off-axis. EQ helps with the former but not the latter. Assuming you can put up with that, you have a decent sounding speaker.

I am not going to recommend the BIC FH6-LCR speaker due to poor construction and out of box tonality.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• BIC FH6-LCR Frequency Response.zip
    61.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Horizontal Orientation
Preference Rating
SCORE: 1.4
SCORE w/ sub: 5.0

Sensitivity: 92.6dB (300Hz-3kHz ; spec: 95dB)
Frequency response: +/- 12.3dB 40Hz-20kHz ; +/- 12.2dB 80Hz-20kHz

Spinorama 119.png
Horizontal Directivity 109.png
Horizontal Directivity Normalized 107.png
Vertical Directivity 105.png
Vertical Directivity Normalized 105.png
chart 123.png

Anyone care for the vertical orientation? If not I’ll just leave it at horizontal only.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not *really* complaining, because I do love the speaker reviews and am always happy to see one more show up no matter what it is.

But do we really need more reviews of 2-way MTM centers for now? I feel like we have plenty already reviewed and their performance is fairly predictable at this point :)

Dmitri

Forum Donor
I could probably accept the measurements given the price and my expectations of MTM center designs, but to have QC so poor that the driver screws are stripped and one has actually backed out? No way no how this gets above a poor rating.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hard to do worse than this. Unless you really try less harder. :D In a home theater the center channel is arguably the most important speaker besides the subs. So big fail.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So this company does 50 cents pens, Windsurfs, and speakers, is that right? They are the same Bic? Wonder how the board comes up with those business strategies, must be a fun bunch…

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So this company does 50 cents pens, Windsurfs, and speakers, is that right? They are the same Bic? Wonder how the board comes up with those business strategies, must be a fun bunch…

No, not the same as the pen(cil) company. It is rumored that Dr. Hsu (of HSU Research) has designed the speakers for BIC (similar looks and I believe their offices used to be in the same building).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No, not the same as the pen(cil) company. It is rumored that Dr. Hsu (of HSU Research) has designed the speakers for BIC (similar looks and I believe their offices used to be in the same building).
You are right. This looks identical to HSU HSU-1 center speaker except that theirs had dual ports:

HC-1-SB-F-600.jpg

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is a pretty weird frequency response, almost like they intentionally left out the baffle step compensation. Makes a slight bit of sense if the expectation is that users will EQ it down, but not all AV receivers have that level of room correction software. For $150 I would rate it "fine" if the build quality were better.

acctx

That is a pretty weird frequency response, almost like they intentionally left out the baffle step compensation. Makes a slight bit of sense if the expectation is that users will EQ it down, but not all AV receivers have that level of room correction software. For $150 I would rate it "fine" if the build quality were better.

I'm gonna give it credit where I see it due.

Based on frequency response it is PERFECT for voice-oriented center channel. I mix music and this curve is pretty much how I mix vocals.

Meat of the vocal is 400-2000Hz, low end is rolled off from 125hz, there a dip where most voices have nasty harshness around 2200-2500hz, and a further dip in nasty 3-4k but bump around 5k for clarity/articulation, and sibillance 6k and beyond is sharply shelved..

This curve looks like pure center speaker perfection.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Amazing. Why would they choose the same name as the school supplies company???

I own my share of BIC pens but co-opting that name doesn't exactly 'draw' me in as a potential buyer.

alex-z

Based on frequency response it is PERFECT for voice-oriented center channel. I mix music and this curve is pretty much how I mix vocals.

Meat of the vocal is 400-2000Hz, low end is rolled off from 125hz, there a dip where most voices have nasty harshness around 2200-2500hz, and a further dip in nasty 3-4k but bump around 5k for clarity/articulation, and sibillance 6k and beyond is sharply shelved..

What centre channel do you use when mixing?

I ask, because I was under the impression that mixing work was typically performed on speakers with neutral tonality, and as few resonances as possible. Surely if you mix dialogue to suit the response of a speaker like the BIC FH6-LCR, it would sound worse on good speakers like the Revel C25 or C208?

Beave

Major Contributor

It does appear that they left out bsc. I can think of a few possible reasons why:

1) keeps crossover as cheap as possible
2) would draw down the upper mids and low treble, thus reducing sensitivity
3) centers are sometimes (often?) placed in or on a cabinet. With full bsc, that often leads to the center being too chesty/muddy in the upper bass. This one could go in a cabinet and not end up too bassy.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, this Bic stands for something like “British Imports Company.” It started out as an importer of UK speakers in the 50’s but started designing their own. In the 70’s and 80’s, they were known as a “very cheap but fairly decent” speaker brand but nowadays, they seem to just be “very cheap.”

AndreaT

Ouch…my ears hurt just looking at those graphs. At just 20 deg horizontally there is a huge dip in those midrange frequencies of voice. Given the (lack of) quality of the woofer screws, I wonder about the rest of the components: crossover? Glues? Soldering of wires? Even at its low asking price there are much better choices for video sound in a small/medium room. I am happy with my modest Pioneer BS22LR and REL SW. The price for the Pioneer speakers was 1/3 of the price of this BIC center speaker, and they measure better.

Thank you Amir for this illuminating review.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

????

If you mix music you must know that a speaker that has the same response as the way you mix something is really bad? That means anything you've mixed that way will be modified a second time as it comes out of the speaker, completely wrecking your work.

Also, the center speaker is NOT a dialog speaker. Tuning it specifically for dialog is extremely bad and out of spec. It is supposed to be identical to the L and R.

AndreaT

????

If you mix music you must know that a speaker that has the same response as the way you mix something is really bad? That means anything you've mixed that way will be modified a second time as it comes out of the speaker, completely wrecking your work.

Also, the center speaker is NOT a dialog speaker. Tuning it specifically for dialog is extremely bad and out of spec. It is supposed to be identical to the L and R.
When I mistakenly play Netflix 5.1 mix (the default choice) on my 2.1 system I loose lots of volume in the dialogue. It seems that most shows and serials are mixed with lots of dialogue in the center channel.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I mistakenly play Netflix 5.1 mix (the default choice) on my 2.1 system I loose lots of volume in the dialogue. It seems that most shows and serials are mixed with lots of dialogue in the center channel.
Yeah, cool. Turns out it also has most of the sound effects and some music. It is literally the primary channel of multichannel, in general.

That's why it should be flat and identical to the L and R *as the specs require*.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This looks like a great speaker to pair with my BIC DV62si Amir previously measured.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
In other news: water is wet.

Top Bottom