• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BIC FH6-LCR Center Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 94 65.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 31.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

acctx

Ands that's exactly why music and movies sound like utter crap these days. The speaker is basically an early April Fools joke and I feel sorry for the Klippel. A horror show.

I haven't listened to this speaker, it may sound like utter crap. Fr curves by themselves are only useful to a point.

For the record, modern music and movies are mixed infinitely better than from olden days on average. There are bad examples, but I can generally hear dialogue way better and clearer than whenever I watch movies from 80s or 90s. The only exception is movies with M.McCoughnaghey (or whatever's the guy from Interstellar, he has most unintengible voice). Same with music. Actual music is complete sh, but the quality of mixing has gone up significantly since 80s/90s, even 2000s. Those records, even best of them, do instantly sound dated if I listen to them now.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't listened to this speaker, it may sound like utter crap. Fr curves by themselves are only useful to a point.
However, you felt confident enough to declare your view: “This curve looks like pure center speaker perfection.”

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may try to write better if you don’t want to be disturbed.

The sentence “Perhaps the original owner played with the screws? Not likely but one never knows” can only mean one thing, that you are questioning if the speaker is faulty or not, whatever the reason.
I truly get tired responding to your caustic posts. But one more time-I have a pair of quite old BIC speakers-bookshelves and the screws are all perfectly tight, not stripped, not backing out, etc. I don't feel it is unreasonable to ask if the speaker in question had been "fiddled with". I have never seen speaker driver screws backing out like that so take my comment for what it's worth but poster #33 also asked if the speaker was used so please in the future pester him.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

prerich

i stand corrected.
#33 here.....I only asked because I've worked in the sales part of the industry before....and I know some dealers will have a person wrap a used or open boxed item as-if new. It happens all over the consumer electronics industry to include computers. You have some that can pack to the point that it looks NIB, and others..... I'm not questioning Amir's ethics, but the dealer's. That's a lot of dust on that surround...and the hardware for mounting is already installed? That one alone is usually a dead give away. As I've stated....I'm no fan of BIC....and I gave the unit a headless panther. ;):)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
#33 here.....I only asked because I've worked in the sales part of the industry before....and I know some dealers will have a person wrap a used or open boxed item as-if new. It happens all over the consumer electronics industry to include computers. You have some that can pack to the point that it looks NIB, and others..... I'm not questioning Amir's ethics, but the dealer's. That's a lot of dust on that surround...and the hardware for mounting is already installed? That one alone is usually a dead give away. As I've stated....I'm no fan of BIC....and I gave the unit a headless panther. ;):)
@amirm said “It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me.”. I can’t see what can be achieved by asking “Was it new, open box, or used?”

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have their sub. It makes noise. Reviews suggest it's response is not remotely flat. I use my THX Monoprice sub for most of the bass and the BIC is just for node fill. I'm not surprised by this review I suppose.

prerich

@amirm said “It was kindly purchased new by a member and drop shipped to me.”. I can’t see what can be achieved by asking “Was it new, open box, or used?”
And did you see what I stated unscrupulous retailers will do? That's why I stated the question....it looks like a repacked item. There are even scratches on the mounting hardware. This is not a slam at Amir...just as this site seeks to do with measurements by warning buyers of faulty gear, when I see physical clues as to the newness of the product - I will call it into question as well. If it were me and it arrived like that, I would have sent it back or asked for an immediate refund.
We think it's new....Amir should believe that it's new on the word of shipper....but,I've seen it done....witnessed it, but it's really repacked demo gear or returned gear being sold as new. I'm just warning people of some of the tactics of retailers.

acctx

However, you felt confident enough to declare your view: “This curve looks like pure center speaker perfection.”

Tone down your aggression. If you don't understand what is being discussed you don't need to keep pressuring for answers to satisfy your windmill or ignorance. You're just being petty and annoying

Yes, curve focuses to putting the voice forward and suppressing mud and harshness.

Curve doesn't tell how detailed the speaker is. However I'd expect just from a basically vocal speaker to sound good enough. Its not meant for critical music listening so it should sound ok. Most speakers do fine job at it. I built 3 home theaters with various speakers and literally all the center channel is doing is dialogue and usually I boost and cut those frequencies to get the best out of it.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tone down your aggression. If you don't understand what is being discussed you don't need to keep pressuring for answers to satisfy your windmill or ignorance. You're just being petty and annoying

Yes, curve focuses to putting the voice forward and suppressing mud and harshness.
I’m simply explaining the err of your words.

“This curve looks like pure center speaker perfection” is not true in any sense of the word.

The “curve focuses to putting the voice forward and suppressing mud and harshness” is not true either.

No speaker should have an irregular curve for any use scenario.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Let all take a deep breath! And get Back on Topic…

Please and thank you for your support and understanding. ;)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
A cat fight over a BIC speaker?? What has ASR become. Time for us to send those Perlisten speakers to Amir!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not a fan of BIC, however this speaker looks used. Was it new, open box, or used?
I didn't see any signs of it being used.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a home theater speaker. Not a Hifi stereo system speaker. My understanding is that this was designed with the sole purpose of providing clear voices without harshness and sibilance.
Just can’t let this go… a good speaker in a system should be designed to faithfully reproduce what was mixed. This just doesn’t do that. It does not do that. It may or may not be able to be salvaged with full range EQ, but let’s please not say anything like this is a perfect center (even with the qualifier for voice). And the center channel for home theater is not just for voice. A very high percentage of the total on screen content/action is to be delivered by the center. It is just not good and what you may or may not choose to boost while mixing have absolutely nothing to do with a good speaker for accurate playback…

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most speakers do fine job at it. I built 3 home theaters with various speakers and literally all the center channel is doing is dialogue and usually I boost and cut those frequencies to get the best out of it.
Center speaker is not a dialogue speaker… Next time you watch content, just unplug it while watching anything but a documentary… And then do the reverse… unplug all other speakers and leave just the center.

Top Bottom