• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BIC FH6-LCR Center Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 94 65.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 31.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't see why anyone would spend breath defending this speaker. I bought a Pioneer SP-C22 for $60 new and it measures better or equal to this speaker in almost every attribute. They want $145 for this speaker on Amazon right now. Plus, you can improve the Pioneer with Philharmonic Audio's AAM mod making it even better for about $40 in parts. Granted the Pioneer is no longer available new but they are commonly available on craigslist and ebay. I'm even a little surprised that Amir gave this speaker a better panther than the Pioneer but maybe his bar has raised over the years, or maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited:

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't know this brand still existed. The first turntable I owned was a BIC America model something or other.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I'm not *really* complaining, because I do love the speaker reviews and am always happy to see one more show up no matter what it is.

But do we really need more reviews of 2-way MTM centers for now? I feel like we have plenty already reviewed and their performance is fairly predictable at this point :)
I have an older Polk LsiC model from about 2004 Id love to send in, it is a 2.5 way, that to me sounds quite good, but alas the weight of it prohibits me from shipping it to Amir. (Over 20 lbs)
Shipping costs 2 way from Pa, would prolly equal what I paid for it used......:facepalm:

prerich

I didn't see any signs of it being used.
Thanks Amir, I'm glad you came out and stated that. I'm always that guy that will question what retailers have done (I've worked in retail before in the US...and the things that go on...retailers don't like taking losses and the will repack something and sell it as new if they can). I was just looking at the pictures and wondered if the person that drop shipped it to you got duped. Thank you for your work and for settling my curiosity :) .... We want people to get properly functioning gear...and we want them to get new gear as new :)

DuncanTodd

$268

$2,000

$2,499

$7,500
1) Not been available in ages. $268 only when on sale. Official price $499.95.
2) Expensive, bulky, glossy.
3) Expensive, bulky. Discontinued?
4) Super expensive, has similar dimensions and weight to a small child.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Not been available in ages. $268 only when on sale. Official price $499.95.
2) Expensive, bulky, glossy.
3) Expensive, bulky. Discontinued?
4) Super expensive, has similar dimensions and weight to a small child.
Your argument on size is an argument with physics, I'm afraid.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right. This looks identical to HSU HSU-1 center speaker except that theirs had dual ports:

HC-1-SB-F-600.jpg
Drivers are different.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Merely pointing out why non of these would work for me, and I suspect for many others as well.
I understand that, however I was trying to explain that it is physics that is not allowing you to have a centre speaker that performs well while fitting your criteria.

A centre speaker that fits an height limited space below the screen can only be made in two ways; either with a tweeter above a mid range plus woofers ( on each side (large box) or a concentric mid/high and woofers each side (expensive).

The only option is to increase the space below the screen. Then you can use cheaper/smaller speakers.

Anything else will fail.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another MTM speaker with shoddy measurements, at least this one doesn't cost a bomb, but let's face it I can't see any ASR members buying this one, there's got to be better options, and avoiding MTM probably a good start!

DuncanTodd

I understand that, however I was trying to explain that it is physics that is not allowing you to have a centre speaker that performs well while fitting your criteria.

A centre speaker that fits an height limited space below the screen can only be made in two ways; either with a tweeter above a mid range plus woofers ( on each side (large box) or a concentric mid/high and woofers each side (expensive).

The only option is to increase the space below the screen. Then you can use cheaper/smaller speakers.

Anything else will fail.
Surely there is something in-between the unobtainable $268-$500 Infinity and $2000-$7500+ Revel/Kef that would do well enough? Maybe just not reviewed here yet.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
A smallish Kef concentric model? It doesn't have to do any real bass. That will go to the L/R and sub. Just spitballing here, throwing it up and seeing what sticks.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surely there is something in-between the unobtainable $268-$500 Infinity and $2000-$7500+ Revel/Kef that would do well enough? Maybe just not reviewed here yet.
Good centers are typically 3-way or coaxial and larger than the smallest MTMs. If you pick your entertainment center before your speakers you're going to have a hard time, as many these days assume you are using a 4 inch tall sound bar if anything at all. That is solvable by just not doing that.

To answer your question more directly, the best center in the middle of those price points is probably a Kef R3(Meta optional) on its side. Any coaxial can be put on its side. If the asymmetry bothers you, you can put a grille on it. The Kef R2C is also quite good (measured by Erin) but does need a bit more EQ to sound great. It's possible the new Meta version has resolved this but it hasn't been reviewed yet.

Other options might be an LS50, Kali IN-8/IN-5s, or a small bookshelf designed to be crossed with a sub like the Arendal 1961.

Generally speaking, if you aren't in the price range for stuff like the Revel C208 then Kef is the best value choice for multichannel IMO. Especially if you get the R series on sale.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A smallish Kef concentric model? It doesn't have to do any real bass. That will go to the L/R and sub. Just spitballing here, throwing it up and seeing what sticks.
Yes, I think any good bookshelf speakers that have good horizontal directivity and reasonable vertical directivity would do the job, as long as you have enough room to store it under your viewing screen. (Perhaps they'd have to be angled up very slightly to hit the best windows of their vertical directivity at the listening positions).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But do we really need more reviews of 2-way MTM centers for now? I feel like we have plenty already reviewed and their performance is fairly predictable at this point
In short, yes.
We all realize that the 2 way MTM will have dispersion issues for wide angle listening.
But there's more to it than that, and how the speaker sounds on axis is of main importance to many.
Specially ones who's main use is music listening and not movies where sound across theater seating is of little importance.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In short, yes.
We all realize that the 2 way MTM will have dispersion issues for wide angle listening.
But there's more to it than that, and how the speaker sounds on axis is of main importance to many.
Specially ones who's main use is music listening and not movies where sound across theater seating is of little importance.
or those of us who listen primarily alone in the center position.

Top Bottom