• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic DT990 Edition vs Hifiman HE400

SiW

Can get either of these used for the same money - which would be ‘best’?

I like all types of music but I do like a good mid and sub bass response for rock, dance and trance.

DAC/amp is a DX3PRO.

Many thanks!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
DT990 is (mid)bass + treble peak.
Some find the mids a bit recessed.
HE400i is relatively less bass (sounds a bit lean to me) and has a small treble peak giving it a slight edge on some recordings.
More midrange emphasis compared to DT990.
DT990 is long standing and parts are always available. My 20yo DT990 is still good.
HiFiman quality and support is a mixed bag.

Comfort of the Beyer is good (some don't like it) and lightweight. The HE400i is slightly heavier but not bad in comfort.

Last edited:

Jacona

Wait is this the HE-400 or HE-400i?

The original 400 sounds a lot different than the 400i, much more impact in the bass but kinda funky from the mids-treble.

OP
S

SiW

Original HE400 - like the Massdrop 4XX.

Simon

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Assumed the HE400i. Never heard original HE400 nor the HE4XX (which is said to be slightly different from HE400i)

From a support (pads and other parts availability) and proven longevity standpoint Beyer has a better track record.
The HE400 has SMC connectors... these are prone to break.
When into soldering this is no problem (have replaced one on an HE6) or replace it with another plug.
DT990 = fixed cable.

OP
S

SiW

I’ve read the DT cable can be fragile so can’t have everything.

I currently have NAD Viso phones - will the DT be a good step up from these?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have never had any problems with the Beyerdynamic cables.
Also have the HP50... but one driver did not survive a test and broke. Fortunately these drivers are found cheap on Ali express (are original ones) so that was an easy fix.
Getting a good seal is important and was difficult at first but later got the hang of it.
2 weeks later the internal wire in the headband broke (my HP50 was second hand) and now can only use it with a dual entry cable.

HP50 is warm, full bodied and slightly 'laid back' in the upper mids and low (but just enough) on treble which has a 'soft' (as in not sharp) character.
Somewhat lacking in 'air' and 'sparkle'.
HP50 has a pleasant warm 'tilt' to it.
A bit speakers in a room that has a lot of curtains and carpets in it.

DT990 is warm and bassy but does not have the bass extension of the HP50 (with a good seal)
The mids feel a bit 'recessed'. The treble is sparkly and sounds very detailed but is mostly because it is elevated .. a lot.
Some like it, some hate it and call it 'sharp' or 'piercing'.
So warmish, a bit like HP50 but less well extended in the lows. Treble is 'detailed', sparkly, and 'bright' but not coarse/harsh though.
Opposite of HP50.

Comfort wise the DT990 does not feel as claustrophobic as the HP50. Build quality wise the DT990 is better and can take a beating both mechanically and electrically.
Needs amping unless 32 Ohm version.
HP50 is best driven from low power devices.

Don't know the HE400 (but do know the HE400i) so can't comment other than the SMC connectors and HIFIman reputation.
Both HP50 and DT990 are very 'forgiving' headphones and can sound good on most recordings (when you can get past the treble peak for DT990)

OP
S

SiW

Man - stuck whether to get the 1990 Edition or not. Limited budget so may have wished I saved for HD650 or 400i.

I like the NADs but would like a better soundstage and more sparkle. Love the bass though! It does make the drivers and cups plastic rattle though.

Also seen 1770Pro could be an option.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
2nd hand HD650's can be found for around 250 GBP, just needs some new pads sometimes.
HD650 is not exactly the king of soundstage either though.
Also doesn't have the bass extension of the NAD.

Jacona

Is there anyway you can get your hands on a AKG K7XX?

Generally the K7XX bass extends a bit better than the HD6X0 and have a wider soundstage, but is not as even/smooth as the HD6X0.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is there anyway you can get your hands on a AKG K7XX?

Actually ... yes.
One may be coming to visit me... but may take a while before it gets here.
Probably somewhere Jan 2019 or so.

aleksander

Why not 880? Not as bassy and peaky as 990. 400i's mid sounds thin and weird in comparison.

Legion1capone

I have both sitting in front of me right now. Dt990 600ohm (new ones) and he400i (not4xx). Unless you have an amp that will pair and play nicely I would not recommend the dt990. If you have an amp that can tame the treble it makes it listenable for most genres. I still don't think they're suited to more modern tracks or poorly recorded tracks. I do love them for movies and gaming though. They are perfect for that and the treble is never a problem then. Only with music do I find it a problem.

As for the he400i. I think it's one of the best all around headphones out there. Their is a simbilance in the treble at times but it only bothers me on the longest of listening sessions. They are good with all genres and vocals sound so sweet on them. They are also less amp dependant than the dt990 (depending on what ohm rating you get). Just remember at least from what I've read, the higher ohm rating the less harsh the treble will be on the dt990.
If you have multiple amps to power headphones you may he ok and try the dt990. Just be aware they can be very unpleasant on the wrong track, especially with the wrong amp powering them. Whereas the he400i sounds great with everything, but it lacks sub bass.

I was kind of all over the place on this one. Hope it helps. Cheers!

OP
S

SiW

I would aim for the 250ohm Edition or Pro versions of the DT990.

Amp is a Topping DX3PRO.

Legion1capone

I should note also that both are very comfortable.

I recently purchased a no name Chinese headphone and I will say Ive gone back and forth with the dt990 and prefer the tecson Caogen headphones pretty much every time. You can see my impressions of it on headfi and Reddit. I have not done a comparison with them vs the he400i yet.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about the Massdrop 4xx?

Legion1capone

What about the Massdrop 4xx?

I did a back to back comparison between the Tecsuns and the he400i and the Tecsuns beat the he400i every time as far as I'm concerned. They are simply more open sounding and somehow have more punch to them. Along with also extending into sub bass that the he400i simply can't produce. They are the best I've heard at making something sound not like a recording but an artist/band performing. Again I am blown away at the sound of these Tecsuns.

artnoi

I’d recommend DT880. They are my go-to for music that don’t have too much treble energy.
I used to own DT990 and now own 770 and 880. The 880 is the most accurate, has the most bearable trebles (although still too much, compared to world’s most accurate earphones I have the ER4SR), and the bass is superb compared to boomy 990 bass. Midrange sounds more or less the same across the board, but 770 and 990 has more trebles so the midrange may appear more tinny.
DT990 was derived from 880.

OP
S

SiW

I’d recommend DT880. They are my go-to for music that don’t have too much treble energy.
I used to own DT990 and now own 770 and 880. The 880 is the most accurate, has the most bearable trebles (although still too much, compared to world’s most accurate earphones I have the ER4SR), and the bass is superb compared to boomy 990 bass. Midrange sounds more or less the same across the board, but 770 and 990 has more trebles so the midrange may appear more tinny.
DT990 was derived from 880.

Did you have the 990Pro or Edition?

Simon

Top Bottom