• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers in the world?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Not worth a penny. Reviews like Amir's would be awesome.
85 dB range, smoothing like on insta and in room? Not worth a penny either. But nice to see members with real legends in use.
Maybe I'm not seeing your intent, but are you saying in-room measurements are 'not worth a penny'? Even Stereophile does listening position measurements in their speaker reviews. BTW this particular plot was done because I made some changes and I wanted to verify the crossover region at 500Hz.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Best speaker to an environment (or room) I think would be more appropriate. The designs that try to address the room are IMO the best ones today (independent of price). I find my humble Genelec monitors excellent, as transparent as I ever had in my home. Not bright or fatiguing either. The best in my world today for sure.
What Genelecs do you have?

rgpit

Forum Donor
As in many things "Beauty is in the eye or ear of the beholder" For my taste, the best sounding reproduced music I've heard was through the TAD Reference One loudspeakers. ($80,000 USD)

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Time-keeping wise, yes. However, you or your heirs might be able to recoup the million dollars sunk in the Patek.

Had a friend who's father was a collector of antiques and watches and had a few Pataks. When his dad died and he got the watches, he wore them. I asked why and his response was priceless: "My Dad wasted his life worrying about us scratching the furniture and staring at these things he wouldn't wear because it would ruin their value, I hope he is rolling over in his grave." As you can guess, he would have rather had some quality time over the money.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What's wrong with the Beolab 90 in your opinion?
I've seen them compared to speakers costing $10K
Hmmm. Seen? Or did you really hear them set up properly? I've had them in my own room and they are superb. FWIW,
the $20,000+ Focal Sopra No. 3s were not in the same class.
Overall I'm not a fan of weird designs with a billion drivers.
Nor am I, in principle, but there are good reasons for the design and the results justify it.
@andreasmaaan
Beolab 90 costs 36,000 euros and are compared to $10K speakers, so even if they're good they're overpriced.
You may think these are invidious comparisons but there is no reason one cannot make them. It does not devalue the B&Os
to be compared to lesser and less expensive speakers unless I preferred the latter. However, bottom line, if I had the space
for 5 of the Beolab 90s (and the budget, too), they would be an easy choice for me.
(Remember, I am committed to multichannel.)

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
@Kal Rubinson
Haven't heard them.
Screenshot_20201026-192509.jpg

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
@andreasmaaan
Beolab 90 costs 36,000 euros and are compared to $10K speakers, so even if they're good they're overpriced.
So why are they compared in the same article?
Duh. Because they share many design principles and because I had first-hand experience with them in the same, familiar room.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The ad specifically stated they had been revised by B&O and, for me, that hinted reliability issues (other possible explanations could have been over enthusiastic dealer or unhappy customer).
Understood. That might be an issue or it might simply be that they were updated to the latest software revisions, an on-going process, iirc.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Hmmm. Seen? Or did you really hear them set up properly? I've had them in my own room and they are superb. FWIW,
The $20,000+ Focal Sopra No. 3s were not in the same class.

Nor am I, in principle, but there are good reasons for the design and the results justify it.

You may think these are invidious comparisons but there is no reason one cannot make them. It does not devalue the B&Os
to be compared to lesser and less expensive speakers unless I preferred the latter. However, bottom line, if I had the space
for 5 of the Beolab 90s (and the budget, too), they would be an easy choice for me.
(Remember, I am committed to multichannel.)
I would love to see a comparison of Focal Aria 948, Kanta No 3, and Sopra No 3. I am guessing the Kantas are the best, because of the weird baffle on the Sopra.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What Genelecs do you have?
8351B’s in my main system fed digitally directly from my computer using GLM for volume (that’s the critical listening setup - I also use the analog inputs for less critical listening through the Dac8). And a pair of 8030C’s in my home office for “work music”. I just moved from passive speakers to those active monitors recently and I’m still in awe by the sonic improvements it brought to my now two very minimal systems. Less is more...

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
8351B’s in my main system fed digitally directly from my computer using GLM for volume (that’s the critical listening setup - I also use the analog inputs for less critical listening through the Dac8). And a pair of 8030C’s in my home office for “work music”. I just moved from passive speakers to those active monitors recently and I’m still in awe by the sonic improvements it brought to my now two very minimal systems. Less is more...
The 8351B or 8361A are my dream monitors.
Do you have a sub or do you feel they enough bass without?

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
By the way, a guy on this forum just proved my point on another thread.
He has the 8351B and Focal Trio 6, he wrote that when you stand in front of them they are practically identical sounding,( even though they measure completely different)
How is this possible?

Top Bottom