• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best effort room and audio system build

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
  • This is a work in progress. The seating, lighting and wiring is temporary; wires will be hidden, fabric wrinkles fixed, lighting optimized, subwoofers covered, etc., etc.
  • The camera does not capture the lighting (at all). In person it’s welcoming, sets the mood for all types of music, and aids the immersion… in photos it just looks… bad. Please be kind
First, thank you for sharing the fruit of your labor, your passion for great sounding music must be of the highest level.
Since members here range from desk top system to dedicated music room system, it is inspirational to see such a level of dedication.
I hope you have a lot of time to spend to listen to music in your special space.
Looking forward for more pictures when the seating, etc..... is in a more advanced stage and maybe with a different colour scheme.
Congratulation on an outstanding sound system set up.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Said another way, I could ask what specific gear should be replaced to have a clearly and significantly superior sounding system against the priorities I outlined? I honestly have no idea...
Nothing needs to be replaced.
You only need 3 or 5 more M2's
And 4 or 6 SCL-8's for ceiling mount Atmos
Plus amplification
Now that would be an incredible immersive music system !!!

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Nothing needs to be replaced.
You only need 3 or 5 more M2's
And 4 or 6 SCL-8's for ceiling mount Atmos
Plus amplification
Now that would be an incredible immersive music system !!!
I like the way you think! There will be six SCL-5's in the ceiling, but I'm not crazy enough to do M2s all around... the plan is SCL-7s for side and rear surrounds.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
your passion for great sounding music must be of the highest level.

Looking forward for more pictures when the seating, etc..... is in a more advanced stage and maybe with a different colour scheme.
Congratulation on an outstanding sound system set up.
Thank you, Cote!

Are there any particular color schemes you may want to see?

I enjoy learning science and engineering (I outsourced the engineering but have great appreciation for the process and expertise), lighting and interior design, good sound (musical and otherwise), and I also enjoy music; so this project was engaging on multiple levels, which probably explains the 'best effort' approach.

hemiutut

Hello bugal1998
Could you put the REW .mdat when you can to see the acoustics of your room?
It's just curiosity.

Written with a translator.

Greetings

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

benanders

I’ll post the same [borderline personal] question I’ve often been asked:

What was the first track you played?
Obviously no offense intended, nor assumed if you’d rather not answer. ;)

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
I’ll post the same [borderline personal] question I’ve often been asked:

What was the first track you played?
Obviously no offense intended, nor assumed if you’d rather not answer. ;)
Great question! I don't recall which track was the very first, but here are the first-ish tracks I played:

Remember When it Rained- Live version with Josh Groban and Judith Hill. The drum intro is great

Try To Remember (Live 2015) from the Stages Live Album, Josh Groban

Royals- Lorde (with 3db extra bass added to the room curve)

Requiem: III. Pie Jesu- Nancy Kieth

Someone Saved My Life Tonight-Mumford & Sons

Blown Away- Sivert Hoyem, Ann Lise Frokedal (Reverb extends out to very nearly 180 degrees)

Various Katie Melua and/or Eva Cassidy tracks

I dreamed a dream - Lea Salonga Live from Manila

Wake Me Up- Tommee Profit, Fleurie

The Lion Sleeps Tonight- The Nylons

Jazz Varients- O-Zone Percussion Group

An American Tune- Kurt Elling, The Brill Building Project

Man in the Long Black Coat- Bob Dylan

My Bass- Brian Bromberg

Work Song- Hozier (bass in intro is fun)

Strong Man Holler- Taj Mahal (fun room filling bass... But not my cup of tea otherwise)

prerich

Dang............

FlyingFreak

Dream project coming to reality. Putting your energy (and $$$) at the right place.
It is inspiring. Thanks for sharing!
Would love to to hear my favorite records there.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In-Room Measurements

Coming soon... [what measurements would anyone like to see?]
Waterfall of RT60 (room reverb) for the 10Hz - 1000Hz range. Down to 100mS if possible.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you share the cost of the design, I spoke with him a while back and he wanted $35,000 just to design the room!!!

Needless to say I didn’t hire him.
That’s a ridiculous amount. What was included?

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Can you share the cost of the design, I spoke with him a while back and he wanted $35,000 just to design the room!!!

Needless to say I didn’t hire him.
PM sent. It was nowhere near that price when I hired him pre-pandemic. He mentioned he has gotten much busier and perhaps his prices have adjusted in response to demand.

When you say "design the room", do mean design the room structure? Or just the room layout?

My space was existing with exception of one wall, but there was no drywall or insulation on the existing wall and ceilings.

Descartes

Major Contributor
PM sent. It was nowhere near that price when I hired him pre-pandemic. He mentioned he has gotten much busier and perhaps his prices have adjusted in response to demand.

When you say "design the room", do mean design the room structure? Or just the room layout?

My space was existing with exception of one wall, but there was no drywall or insulation on the existing wall and ceilings.
This was five years ago and the room structure already existed GIK Acoustics will do that for free!
Also you can use this for a lot less, which is what many custom install companies rely on and charge customers thousands of dollars.

OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
This was five years ago and the room structure already existed GIK Acoustics will do that for free!
Also you can use this for a lot less, which is what many custom install companies rely on and charge customers thousands of dollars.

I had a subscription to The Cinema Designer and got very familiar with it before I outsourced to a pro. It's limited compared to what Nyal did. It also doesn't work for 2-channel. TCD will help you avoid the most basic mistakes, but it's not going to truly optimize a room.

TCD is like comparing a go-cart vs. an actual car. People can use it and enjoy the results, but let's not pretend it's more than what it is...

Edit: Said another way, you will likely get your money's worth out of TCD (which isn't much)... But TCD won't ensure you get your money's worth out of your equipment. And THAT is what I call a truly expensive mistake.

Edit 2: I'm also not saying you should spend $35k on Nyal's services... There's zero chance I would have.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
I should also add that I can't reconcile your experience with Nyal based on my interactions. Strange indeed.

BTW, I tried GIK's free design service for my previous home and wasn't overly impressed. Again, I'm sure they improve rooms, but their service isn't remotely on par with what a designer like Nyal (and I'm sure others) can provide. Just a few examples... GIK wouldn't have: raytraced the on and off axis frequency output to optimize treatment, designed and provided construction drawings for site built bass traps that cover the entire front and rear walls and integrate into the room, designed and provided construction drawings for a bass trap rear riser, suggested a rail system and components for moving speakers between 2-channel and home theater positions, modeled sub-woofer positions to meet seat-to-seat variation and output targets, provide custom hushbox design with cfm requirements and a design for the fan control system, calculate btu loads in my A/V rack, or, or, or, the list goes on and on...

I'm sharing this to be educational not condescending... No one should be under the misconception that The Cinema Designer, or GIK's free service is in some way a substitute for services such as what Nyal offers in a best effort implementation (see the thread title).

Here's another analogy (Sorry, I like analogies :p)... If I want the best sushi experience I may go to a place like Sushi Suite 1001 in NYC, and someone else might say, "That place is expensive! You know you can get sushi at the grocery store, right?" Uh huh... Yes, I know. And grocery store sushi can taste pretty good, but it's also not remotely the same.

Value is subjective, but that doesn't mean there's equivalency.

Last edited:
Top Bottom