• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best cheap USB-C headphone dongles?

staticV3

Master Contributor
At what volume are these figures?
With 300Ω load, it makes no difference. 1% volume and 100% volume show the same current draw at the USB port, when playing music (haven't tested full-scale sines).

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
That's curious, thanks for the learning.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
The aurvana trio. I didn't even open mine, sold them straight away for 25 euros. I think the same bundle sells in us for 60$. The dongle is great for this price

That's not Aurvana Trio but Trio LS, huge difference. Trio is 100$ and worth every penny.

MCH

Major Contributor
Whatever, good enough to offset 25 euros out of the 70 :)

kiwifi

do you like it ? do you have other dac to compare it to ? thanks
I haven't measured it, but it is much better than the DAC in my phone (Umidigi Power 3) which sounds awful in comparison!

Ashimaru

Yep, The DAC bit of the Apple dongle is excellent and there is no reason to worry about it being a limiting factor. Apple dongles tend to have the ability to boost the existing sound quality and make it seem more enjoyable. :cool:
Yes, and meizu hifi is several levels above it

amanieux

Yes, and meizu hifi is several levels above it
i could not hear any difference between meizu hifi pro, apple dongle and my phone internal dac, there was only a difference with my 2009 macbook internal dac

Ashimaru

i could not hear any difference between meizu hifi pro, apple dongle and my phone internal dac, there was only a difference with my 2009 macbook internal dac
Maybe your cans not too resolved? I think your MacBook has more power, so it's easier to feel the difference

amanieux

Maybe your cans not too resolved? I think your MacBook has more power, so it's easier to feel the difference
it was very resolving planar, s12, there was also no difference with btr5 balanced output at 240mw so it was not power, more likely my untrained ear i represent the 99% average person not the 1% trained audiophile. amir says he can spot 256k mp3 vs lossless, i believe him, but i cannot

Last edited:

Gallus780

I have been looking for weeks and I still can't come to the right conclusion.
I am baffled and wondering between two USB dongles – CX31993 or CS43131 (I am not sure if CS46L41 is worth it, feel free to correct me). CS43131 is twice the price of CX31993 but everyone has a different opinion regarding the sound. Have you got any experience with these dongles and what would you suggest? Furthermore, could you rank them (CX31993, CS43131 and CS46L41) from worst to best and explain the difference based on your personal experience?
P.S. I am in Europe and I do not think the Apple dongle is worth it for my Android phone since the EU version is worse compared to the original.

threni

Major Contributor
I have been looking for weeks and I still can't come to the right conclusion.
I am baffled and wondering between two USB dongles – CX31993 or CS43131 (I am not sure if CS46L41 is worth it, feel free to correct me). CS43131 is twice the price of CX31993 but everyone has a different opinion regarding the sound. Have you got any experience with these dongles and what would you suggest? Furthermore, could you rank them (CX31993, CS43131 and CS46L41) from worst to best and explain the difference based on your personal experience?
P.S. I am in Europe and I do not think the Apple dongle is worth it for my Android phone since the EU version is worse compared to the original.
I just got a US Apple A2049 USB - > 3.5mm dongle from a random eBay seller in the states. It meant paying around £21 instead of £9 due to inexplicibly high post/customs charges, but it's worth every penny.

Gallus780

I just got a US Apple A2049 USB - > 3.5mm dongle from a random eBay seller in the states. It meant paying around £21 instead of £9 due to inexplicibly high post/customs charges, but it's worth every penny.
The MU7E2AM/A the US version and MU7E2ZM/A is the EU, right?

threni

Major Contributor

Vantavimeow

The apple dongle has fuck all power, it's like half the volume of any dongle I've tried.

The Abigail/Avani dongles endorsed by Venture Electronic kick out a surprising amount of power and feel pretty robust. I feel like the Hidiz S8 cable is begging to break just by looking at it.

You may as well grab them with a pair of Monk+ it's almost the same price.

The "Smoke no mic Abigail" / "Smoke no mic Avani" options.

Reactions: Vee

Gallus780

The apple dongle has fuck all power, it's like half the volume of any dongle I've tried.

The Abigail/Avani dongles endorsed by Venture Electronic kick out a surprising amount of power and feel pretty robust. I feel like the Hidiz S8 cable is begging to break just by looking at it.

You may as well grab them with a pair of Monk+ it's almost the same price.

The "Smoke no mic Abigail" / "Smoke no mic Avani" options.
Apart from the power, do you know anything about their sound and how would they change it? And do you mean that the Apple dongle is instantly the best choice from these 3?

Vantavimeow

Apart from the power, do you know anything about their sound and how would they change it? And do you mean that the Apple dongle is instantly the best choice from these 3?
Not at all, the apple dongle seemed pretty useless for me. Most half decent DAC chips should sound very similar these days. I was content with the Huawei/Oneplus Dongles as well. I just think the Abigail/Avani feel more likely to withstand normal usage since the cable is braided nicely as opposed to paper thin rubber like most phone dongles.

Someone did some subjective testing of a load of dongles

I prefer small single piece units as it already sucks that I have to use one in the first place and a metal box isn't going in my pocket with my phone any time soon.

Inhuman

Not at all, the apple dongle seemed pretty useless for me. Most half decent DAC chips should sound very similar these days. I was content with the Huawei/Oneplus Dongles as well. I just think the Abigail/Avani feel more likely to withstand normal usage since the cable is braided nicely as opposed to paper thin rubber like most phone dongles.

Someone did some subjective testing of a load of dongles

I prefer small single piece units as it already sucks that I have to use one in the first place and a metal box isn't going in my pocket with my phone any time soon.
It's just a converter, not a dongle because no chip DAC in it!!! These phone had a build-in DAC but a decent one.

IMO, Abigal and Avani just hyped too much, nothing special, Sonata HD Pro still a best out there

Top Bottom