• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best cheap USB-C headphone dongles?

threni

Major Contributor

Saidera

tends to be low on Android. - protects your ears!
staticV3 might know more on this issue etc

threni

Major Contributor
tends to be low on Android. - protects your ears!
staticV3 might know more on this issue etc
I've read that the headphone out is low on Android. Not sure USB output is low though. Is that even possible? It's just data.

kiwifi

daniell92

Guys I have a meizu hifi (no pro) ... if I wanted to use it also with amp and speaker, does it automatically recognize the 2v for the amplifier?

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi Daniell,
I use mine hooked to an amp and the volume i get is comparable to any other component, so i guess it is outputting 2 volts, but i can measure it though...

johnk

do you like it ? do you have other dac to compare it to ? thanks
I just bought a couple of these for phone use and tried them on my desktop system. Subjectively they sound much better than my internal laptop sound card. Physically they seem to be well put together. Nice soft flexible cable. The 3.5mm socket clicks in strongly. Both ends appear to be a lightweight metal (not attracted by a magnet so perhaps aluminium?). Simple carrying tin. As per the previous comment, you can't really go too far wrong for $10. I would love to see them reviewed. My gut feel based on listening is that they might do quite well, but who knows :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
16.5Ω load, ~50mV output.

Apple A2049:
2049.png

mblu Hifi (CX31993):
mblu_HiFi.png

Generic CX31993:
unknown-4.png
unknown-5.png

CX31993 has more noise and distortion than Apple's dongle

johnk

Thanks @staticV3. Oh well - $10 is no great loss :)
I did have an Apple dongle but it died in less than 12 months and was a pain to get decent volume on an android phone. I have a Musliand MU1 in the post now, but I am still hoping to find something with the Apple dongle level of performance and price with greater robustness and compatibility.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Still nothing beats good old TempoTec Sonata HD Pro (Hidizs S8 on the cheap) for the price and with normal drivers and support.

MCH

Major Contributor
Still nothing beats good old TempoTec Sonata HD Pro (Hidizs S8 on the cheap) for the price and with normal drivers and support.
Hm, i don't know, but with built in EQ and decent physical volume buttons the X-Fi AMP is difficult to beat and costs 70 eur bundled with some earbuds (that alone cost 40)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Hm, i don't know, but with built in EQ and decent physical volume buttons the X-Fi AMP is difficult to beat and costs 70 eur bundled with some earbuds (that alone cost 40)
Which one's they bondled? Creative has some great one's (but they didn't boundle those [Aurvana Air]).

MCH

Major Contributor
Which one's they bondled? Creative has some great one's (but they didn't boundle those [Aurvana Air]).
The aurvana trio. I didn't even open mine, sold them straight away for 25 euros. I think the same bundle sells in us for 60$. The dongle is great for this price

MCH

Major Contributor
I am not surprised about that, and even thought the difference with the Meizu would be larger than 0.27 times, because is can go much much louder with the same headphones. Also surprising how much less than the sonata pro, but i don't own that one to compare...At what volume are these figures? In any case, phone battery life is a non issue since 3 or 4 smartphones ago, my phone is always >50% at the end of the day

Last edited:
Top Bottom