• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Best bang for the buck subwoofer according to ASR

I always use the "auto target" to maybe thats why? i also haven't confirmed the "post correction" results in REW, but I will next time I reconfigure my system (which should be soon!)

for fun - here was one of the sc-10's measurement before correction:
dirac sub1.jpg

by contrast, my elac debut 2.0 b6.2's before measurement:
DIRAC MAINS BEFORE.jpg

jhaider

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I always use the "auto target" to maybe thats why?
No, it's the boost limitation in Dirac. If you want extension to 25Hz you need to apply over 20dB of boost at that frequency. The drivers can take it. The amp they were designed to be paired with applies such boost. If using external DSP such as the miniDSP 2x4HD I would a recommend applying most of the "boost" as a cut, to avoid clipping the output.

The Daytons would require less boost, because they naturally go lower. However, I would (and do) still use an external controller with them in addition to Dirac to linearize their low end prior to correction.

for fun - here was one of the sc-10's measurement before correction:
View attachment 44135
That is as expected.

krabapple

That's not accurate.

This is accurate: Dual subwoofers, when well-placed, can often provide a smoother frequency response through a wider seating area.

A single subwoofer, when well-placed, can sometimes overcome room modes (might require a little EQ) for the primary listening position. Consequently, a better performing single sub can sometimes be the better choice over two cheaper subs when there is only one listening position..

Dual subs, if poorly placed, may enhance room mode issues and make things sound worse. So if someone just shoves two subs into a room, might not help to have two.

But surely dual sub woofers with proper placement can ameliorate modal issues too. Floyd Toole has written about the value of two identical subs each at 1/4 width for killing several modes at once.

raistlin65

But surely dual sub woofers with proper placement can ameliorate modal issues too. Floyd Toole has written about the value of two identical subs each at 1/4 width for killing several modes at once.
That's what I said, just not in so many words. Layman's language. I don't use the term "room mode" with that first statement because I often use it in making recommendations to others who are new to subwoofers and/or subwoofer configuration.

th0m

How "good" is it to use the high level input/output speaker terminals on subwoofers with those connections? I mean power amp to sub to main speakers using speaker wire. What happens to the signal path in that case? Do the subs crossover simply filter out the lower frequencies and send the higher frequencies "untouched" from the power amp to the speakers?

Maybe a stupid question, but I have quite limited knowledge of subwoofers and am looking for the best way to integrate one into my stereo system.

How "good" is it to use the high level input/output speaker terminals on subwoofers with those connections? I mean power amp to sub to main speakers using speaker wire. What happens to the signal path in that case? Do the subs crossover simply filter out the lower frequencies and send the higher frequencies "untouched" from the power amp to the speakers?

Maybe a stupid question, but I have quite limited knowledge of subwoofers and am looking for the best way to integrate one into my stereo system.
I don't believe that any subwoofer can offer an option to high-pass a high level signal to main speakers. What you can do with some subs (e.g., SVS 1000/2000) is connect the main speakers in parallel with the sub. A speaker-level input to the sub has high impedance, so it shouldn't impact the main speakers.

Quite a few subs have (or used to have) high pass outputs.

My Velodyne HGS servo certainly does, although I've never used it.

Top Bottom