• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 and Perlisten R7T impedance question

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will enjoy them as long as I want and when I sell them I wont be missing a whole lot. I hope you can say the same but as per this conversation I dont think you will get as good of a return as I will with my investment. The last S7T used pair I saw was at a staggering 11,700 on audiomart. I may have it all wrong but if they cost 20,000 then the taxes are another couple grand. So around 22,000. I got the R7T for 6500 and if I sell them today for the extra low price of 6,000 I will have only lost 500 bucks. Bet ya 14,000 usd I can get 6,000 a year later. When are you going to be able to sell your S7T's for 21,000 or 20,000? NEVER. If that does not mean anything to you then fine. I happen to have a lot of fun going through audio gear. Some people would actually be amazed at the sort of deals I have gotten. Turn your nose up to what I am telling you all ya want ya snob. Fact is, its all material end game or not. Youre making stupid buys on the premise its the last one. Besta luck!
Seeing you this worked up, making so much assumptions and this offended for what was a recommendation . . it's sad. But ignorance is bliss, and I truly wish you HiFi joy.

Wishing you well in your world.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
are you even looking at the frequencies upward of around 7k? Open your eyes. Also, why do you think its hard to get back out of what you put into hifi. I never lose money. Do you always buy new? If so, this might explain why you have such an opinion. I can go on for days about very little investments into very nice gear that has translated very nicely into profit. Just because your strategy is a loser doesnt mean everyone else does the same thing, genius.
Woah - steady on. We're all friends here.

OP
Seeing you this worked up, making so much assumptions and this offended for what was a recommendation . . it's sad. But ignorance is bliss, and I truly wish you HiFi joy.

Wishing you well in your world.
You pretended actual objective data from Perlisten didnt exist and preferred to go with a guilt by association outlook over a dude that does measurements outdoors similarly to James Larson in an attempt to deny facts and reality we can easily look to. Even when referenced the graphs you ignored what was on them. Ignorance is bliss, in your case it seems willful.. and some may even say intellectually dishonest and on purpose.

OP
Woah - steady on. We're all friends here.
Yeh, I guess I got pretty curt with the fella, and I will apologize only for the low standard tone. I am sorry. However, I find it very odd someone can be shown a pair of graphs that have very obvious differences only to claim those differences are not there and that someone with similar measured findings can not be trusted because of who they are pals with. After seeing the graphs side by side more I have realize how much better the bass response is for the S variant and I am confident I will have a pair of them at some point, and after this conversation I am also confident they will not be my last pair. Why would I stop at that pair? Again, I am also very interested in a lot of other models that cost a lot less and some that cost a lot more. Ascend Acoustic's new ELX tower comes to mind for less and Sonus Faber has some that cost more. Im having more buyer's remorse over the Sierra 2EX V2 I got last year as I realize I bought them new, so a sale of them will be a loss. (Edited: only remorseful over the price I got them at, performance wise they are exceptional.) It doesnt sting that bad when I consider that its a relatively small loss. Its not like I bought a 20k pair of speakers new that instantly lost a considerable value if I want to sell them.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You pretended actual objective data from Perlisten didnt exist and preferred to go with a guilt by association outlook over a dude that does measurements outdoors similarly to James Larson in an attempt to deny facts and reality we can easily look to. Even when referenced the graphs you ignored what was on them. Ignorance is bliss, in your case it seems willful.. and some may even say intellectually dishonest and on purpose.
I had planned to sign off and called it a day, but you seem to want to have the last word.

Ok, so I searched YouTube, the first video that came back from New Record Day with S7t is this clown recording playback of the S7t for audience to listen to over YouTube. I will let others here comment on any clown who records speakers for audience to listen to on YouTube.

Here is the link that this clown video:

Then I search his other videos on the S7t vs R7t comparison, where he flashes few graphs with no transparency on his measurement methods. With the exception he mentioned he moved the microphone "4 inches at a time," not degrees, but by 4 inches. That does not sound like the CEA-2034 standard. I proudly maintain that Ron from New Record Day is a clown in his own right and a charlatan by association with Danny Ritchie.

Not only you are parading this clown review and clown measurements, you chose to ignore measurements from reputable reviewers.

James Larson's method of outdoor quasi-anechoic measurements is reputable and is extensively documented where he strictly follows the CEA-2034 standard, where his measurements are corroborated by other measurements done by Klippel NFS and in anechoic chambers.

Then you insist that the S7t has some kind of high frequency spike or whatever.

Do you know how to read graphs?

Both speakers have a slight dip around the 2k-3k range. Then the S comes back to flatline while the R continues with a very slight downward trend. (Regardless, this is as perfect as you can get with passive speakers.) Heavenly father, I even posted a screenshot from spinorama with on-axis overlayed of both speakers on top of each other.

Are you blind sir? Or do you want to see what you want to see to justify that you made a good decision? Which btw, no one said the R7t was a bad decision, there is not such thing as bad decisions with Perlisten just like with Revel.

Somehow you got all worked up and offended from a simple comment saying if you're going to spend this kind of money, might as well go all in. Especially if you claim you make "nice profits" from flipping gear.

Then you go off making dumb assumptions on how much I paid, even going off on giving financial advice on a HiFi forum to buy whole life insurance. WTF?!?!

Here is a good read on quasi anechoic chamber measurements, it's hard and labor intensive to perform and you can't do it in a windy day:

Again, I wish you HiFi joy. Like I said many times, you can't go wrong with any Perlisten.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had planned to sign off and called it a day, but you seem to want to have the last word.

What? And you don't? :p

Here is a tip. Two people both insistent on having the last word will lead to a "discussion" of infinite length. ;)

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What? And you don't? :p

Here is a tip. Two people both insistent on having the last word will lead to a "discussion" of infinite length. ;)
Of course, I'm no punk. :p

But I regretfully went against my better judgement of actually wasted my valuable time to watch this Ron the Con, Charlatan's video. The irritation of watching his video is what really got me and I felt the need to reply to such BS.

Anyway, back to enjoying music and life.

OP
Both speakers have a slight dip around the 2k-3k range. Then the S comes back to flatline while the R continues with a very slight downward trend. (Regardless, this is as perfect as you can get with passive speakers.) Heavenly father, I even posted a screenshot from spinorama with on-axis overlayed of both speakers on top of each other.
Theres a reason why you were willing to let it go, because you saw the graph and realized the highs were more extended on S and felt like you were wrong. It was such a powerful concept to you that you felt you had to prove yourself with objectivity. I suspect the reason you felt you had to do so (could be wrong, who knows?) was because your first comment was more about your justification of your purchase than anything else. Why would I jump to such conclusions? Because it was the standard crap I see from people whenever they see something a tier lower than what they bought being discussed.

For whatever reason, people find joy in telling others discussing things that cost half as much as what they have stuff like "you may as well double it!" Notice, as soon as I told you the same thing you were hit by it so hard you had to have the logic recapitulated. Then you explained how you were on the fence to spend the amount that you did, so obviously, its not a bright idea to show up in a thread and tell someone that crap, or else you mighta been able to follow your own logic when it was explained back to you and saved yourself a lot of time.

Of course I realize they are both exceptional speakers, but as I stated, I have a terrible time with higher frequencies. Maybe I shouldnt have trusted Ron to begin with. I havent done so much before, and yes, I knew when I saw his' video he was not the most objective reference I could trust. I have issues with Ron and his channel for other reasons than objectivity, though. I really dont like his long winded analogies on audio performance. Something about the way he states his' ideas irks me like nails across a chalk board, and I think its because I can catch his' drift before the half way mark on the point he is making, then he drawls about like hes reviewing a special edition cigar or stout beer with the poetic flare of a nitwit. I have no problem admitting that there may be some jealousy there, as well, the idea he's getting some of the best gear being made over those long winded analogies might cause some pathological response in me, who knows?

However, I do really have a hard time with higher frequencies to the point I am considering EQing the R's because as I use them more I am noting I dont get quite to the volume level I would like without things feeling shouty in my canals. This may seem really odd to read considering how fantastic they are, but to me I have noted some problems getting to the volume I like on some very well recorded albums from extremely well engineered and mastered cuts that are all but flawless in their capture techniques. The other end of the graph is where I really should have focused. Better bass response would probably do me a lot more of a favor than the minimal amount of differences in the highs. I will know for sure if I get the S version, which I see no reason why I wont eventually. Had the other pair that I mentioned been within a day of driving I would have probably gotten them and even discussed the idea and got the okay on freighting them from the missus. The value changed significantly with freight factored so the next best thing became a target as they were in fact close enough to get with a day of driving.

Speaking of value, I consider it a lot as a concept as it does in fact define every individual's reality. What is something worth without a reference? Who knows. Its like trying to figure out your own moral standards while every interaction with your morality being done in a vacuum. We order value individually all the time with every consumption we perform. This happens even when we do nothing but sit under a bridge humming songs as one starves to death. In their case life has no value and they deal with their perception of its value. Currently capital is the grand unifier of value, and in our society people come up with ideas and incorporate them and do everything they can to compete and defend those ideas so they can set the value. Supposedly these values are referenced to what else is in the market place, but we see now after the largest transfer of wealth in human history (taking place over Covid 19) and the biggest consolidation of state and economic power in human history, that the monopolies are so large that they can just ramp profiteering to levels that exceed those of the last half century and hide it behind "inflation." Not only do we note these massive shifts in power to be real, but they are also irreversible. We will never go back to the lower centralized point we were at pre-Covid. You seem to order value well, seeing how you bought the S pair, but do not like fancy watches. This indicates to me that we have a more similar manner of ordering value than someone that only likes fancy watches and doesn't care for audio gear at all. Recognizing this commonality between us leads me to suggest exploring Baudrillard and Debord's critical theory writing as it really fascinates me. You may find use of some of these complex illustrations of meaning and value and how it affects the individual in the autonomous Spectical/Simulation that we can not escape from.

I would hope you consider the idea that if you truly want to express a value to someone else, perhaps be more Socratic in nature and simply ask them if they have considered the value of something that you yourself have recently purchased rather than simply state 'if it was my choice, I would do this." No one wants to hear that, and not to be remedial but it literally dumbfounded you when it fed back your way. There's little room for these sort of competitive discussions to unfold if you simply ask someone if they have considered something versus you trying to direct them to the decision that you made.

The insurance idea wasn't just about audio, but also about other things as well. If you make a very safe insured investment that has compounding interest that also allows one to borrow without interest on the loan, and if done right can lead to cash back and traveling perks, then I still think its a worthy thought even if it doesn't get enacted. You'd know better than anyone if you'd like to get cash back off your purchases done with no interest dealing with a constantly growing amount you pass on to someone you love. It may not be that great of an idea, no biggy if not. I do want to learn more about it, though, especially when considering flipping things bigger than audio, again, it may not stand up well then either, but investigating it isn't a crime, and if there is a chance that I can get a substantial enough perks when transacting property or auto flips then I would at least like to know. Funny the idea of considering a possibility seemed like such a radical idea to ya cause someone with a vested interest told you it wasn't. If you would like to flesh it out to prove to me how pointless such a thing would be, then be my guest and save me some time! I do, however fully recognize how tedious or uneconomical it may be.

We aren't so different after all, I would say. I enjoyed the back and forth and would love it if you would challenge the ideas presented, as I may learn more. I have no judgments, after all, I do realize that even though many times I figured that I was standing up for principles dealing with how I process the world that really it had more to do with me defending a decision cause I aint no punk either. (wink)

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Theres a reason why you were willing to let it go, because you saw the graph and realized the highs were more extended on S and felt like you were wrong. It was such a powerful concept to you that you felt you had to prove yourself with objectivity. I suspect the reason you felt you had to do so (could be wrong, who knows?) was because your first comment was more about your justification of your purchase than anything else. Why would I jump to such conclusions? Because it was the standard crap I see from people whenever they see something a tier lower than what they bought being discussed.

For whatever reason, people find joy in telling others discussing things that cost half as much as what they have stuff like "you may as well double it!" Notice, as soon as I told you the same thing you were hit by it so hard you had to have the logic recapitulated. Then you explained how you were on the fence to spend the amount that you did, so obviously, its not a bright idea to show up in a thread and tell someone that crap, or else you mighta been able to follow your own logic when it was explained back to you and saved yourself a lot of time.

Of course I realize they are both exceptional speakers, but as I stated, I have a terrible time with higher frequencies. Maybe I shouldnt have trusted Ron to begin with. I havent done so much before, and yes, I knew when I saw his' video he was not the most objective reference I could trust. I have issues with Ron and his channel for other reasons than objectivity, though. I really dont like his long winded analogies on audio performance. Something about the way he states his' ideas irks me like nails across a chalk board, and I think its because I can catch his' drift before the half way mark on the point he is making, then he drawls about like hes reviewing a special edition cigar or stout beer with the poetic flare of a nitwit. I have no problem admitting that there may be some jealousy there, as well, the idea he's getting some of the best gear being made over those long winded analogies might cause some pathological response in me, who knows?

However, I do really have a hard time with higher frequencies to the point I am considering EQing the R's because as I use them more I am noting I dont get quite to the volume level I would like without things feeling shouty in my canals. This may seem really odd to read considering how fantastic they are, but to me I have noted some problems getting to the volume I like on some very well recorded albums from extremely well engineered and mastered cuts that are all but flawless in their capture techniques. The other end of the graph is where I really should have focused. Better bass response would probably do me a lot more of a favor than the minimal amount of differences in the highs. I will know for sure if I get the S version, which I see no reason why I wont eventually. Had the other pair that I mentioned been within a day of driving I would have probably gotten them and even discussed the idea and got the okay on freighting them from the missus. The value changed significantly with freight factored so the next best thing became a target as they were in fact close enough to get with a day of driving.

Speaking of value, I consider it a lot as a concept as it does in fact define every individual's reality. What is something worth without a reference? Who knows. Its like trying to figure out your own moral standards while every interaction with your morality being done in a vacuum. We order value individually all the time with every consumption we perform. This happens even when we do nothing but sit under a bridge humming songs as one starves to death. In their case life has no value and they deal with their perception of its value. Currently capital is the grand unifier of value, and in our society people come up with ideas and incorporate them and do everything they can to compete and defend those ideas so they can set the value. Supposedly these values are referenced to what else is in the market place, but we see now after the largest transfer of wealth in human history (taking place over Covid 19) and the biggest consolidation of state and economic power in human history, that the monopolies are so large that they can just ramp profiteering to levels that exceed those of the last half century and hide it behind "inflation." Not only do we note these massive shifts in power to be real, but they are also irreversible. We will never go back to the lower centralized point we were at pre-Covid. You seem to order value well, seeing how you bought the S pair, but do not like fancy watches. This indicates to me that we have a more similar manner of ordering value than someone that only likes fancy watches and doesn't care for audio gear at all. Recognizing this commonality between us leads me to suggest exploring Baudrillard and Debord's critical theory writing as it really fascinates me. You may find use of some of these complex illustrations of meaning and value and how it affects the individual in the autonomous Spectical/Simulation that we can not escape from.

I would hope you consider the idea that if you truly want to express a value to someone else, perhaps be more Socratic in nature and simply ask them if they have considered the value of something that you yourself have recently purchased rather than simply state 'if it was my choice, I would do this." No one wants to hear that, and not to be remedial but it literally dumbfounded you when it fed back your way. There's little room for these sort of competitive discussions to unfold if you simply ask someone if they have considered something versus you trying to direct them to the decision that you made.

The insurance idea wasn't just about audio, but also about other things as well. If you make a very safe insured investment that has compounding interest that also allows one to borrow without interest on the loan, and if done right can lead to cash back and traveling perks, then I still think its a worthy thought even if it doesn't get enacted. You'd know better than anyone if you'd like to get cash back off your purchases done with no interest dealing with a constantly growing amount you pass on to someone you love. It may not be that great of an idea, no biggy if not. I do want to learn more about it, though, especially when considering flipping things bigger than audio, again, it may not stand up well then either, but investigating it isn't a crime, and if there is a chance that I can get a substantial enough perks when transacting property or auto flips then I would at least like to know. Funny the idea of considering a possibility seemed like such a radical idea to ya cause someone with a vested interest told you it wasn't. If you would like to flesh it out to prove to me how pointless such a thing would be, then be my guest and save me some time! I do, however fully recognize how tedious or uneconomical it may be.

We aren't so different after all, I would say. I enjoyed the back and forth and would love it if you would challenge the ideas presented, as I may learn more. I have no judgments, after all, I do realize that even though many times I figured that I was standing up for principles dealing with how I process the world that really it had more to do with me defending a decision cause I aint no punk either. (wink)
Holy hell - do you have a TL; DR version of that?

I don't understand people investing the time to write such long screeds of text. I can't believe anyone bothers to read them.

flor

IMG_7661.jpeg

OP
Holy hell - do you have a TL; DR version of that?

I don't understand people investing the time to write such long screeds of text. I can't believe anyone bothers to read them.
TL;DR recap for entire thread
forum member A inserts question about plebian speaker and amp question
forum member B inserts self into thread offering financial advise to seemingly bolster their own validity in consumer choices.
forum member A explains problem with higher frequencies and discusses financial aspect and distance to recent consumer choice and mentions less than objective material that helped guide reason
forum member B thinks what is stated is objective about consumer choice both have made when really its about subjective experiences
forum member A asks if forum member B saw material
forum member B has chance to evaluate material and claims source isnt trustable
forum member A offers forum member B his own logic back and blows forum member A's gaskets
forum member B needs help understanding their own logic
forum member A recapitulates and forum member B admits their own hesitance on making their own financial investment
forum member A offers an idea on how to strategize financially to advance buying and selling toys for perks and ease
forum member B decides telling people how to spend their money in forums is a no no in spite of that being the first thing they did when interacting with forum member A
forum member A references graphs and explains one has a rise in higher frequencies
forum member B insists they are the same
forum member A gets some what rude about the graphs because one clear has a rise in higher frequencies
forum member B admits that there is a rise in frequency for one and a dip in higher frequency for the other
forum member A responds with TL;DR about forum member B's inability to process their own advice and makes it clear if they dont like such discussions maybe they should also take their own advice on not telling others how to invest their money

Im sure you can take a look at forum member B's last response and muster the logic on someone being able to read such a long drawn response...Im sure ya can come up with something.

Main take away... dont tell people how to spend their money on shit. Ask them questions and treat them how youd want to be treated after making a purchase or considering one. Bonus, read Baudrillard and Guy Debord's writing to understand media and consumerism in a late stage global capitalist world as these concepts are quite interesting if not dumbfoundingly hard to follow.

forum member B, if you want to waste your time having some sort of debate about objective aspects of speakers, maybe find someone that understands ohm ratings with amps and speakers. I personally wont be responding to your bad faith insertions here on out. regardless of how right you are your motivations are known when you prove you cant handle your own advice. see ya!

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
TL;DR recap for entire thread
forum member A inserts question about plebian speaker and amp question
forum member B inserts self into thread offering financial advise to seemingly bolster their own validity in consumer choices.
forum member A explains problem with higher frequencies and discusses financial aspect and distance to recent consumer choice and mentions less than objective material that helped guide reason
forum member B thinks what is stated is objective about consumer choice both have made when really its about subjective experiences
forum member A asks if forum member B saw material
forum member B has chance to evaluate material and claims source isnt trustable
forum member A offers forum member B his own logic back and blows forum member A's gaskets
forum member B needs help understanding their own logic
forum member A recapitulates and forum member B admits their own hesitance on making their own financial investment
forum member A offers an idea on how to strategize financially to advance buying and selling toys for perks and ease
forum member B decides telling people how to spend their money in forums is a no no in spite of that being the first thing they did when interacting with forum member A
forum member A references graphs and explains one has a rise in higher frequencies
forum member B insists they are the same
forum member A gets some what rude about the graphs because one clear has a rise in higher frequencies
forum member B admits that there is a rise in frequency for one and a dip in higher frequency for the other
forum member A responds with TL;DR about forum member B's inability to process their own advice and makes it clear if they dont like such discussions maybe they should also take their own advice on not telling others how to invest their money

Im sure you can take a look at forum member B's last response and muster the logic on someone being able to read such a long drawn response...Im sure ya can come up with something.

Main take away... dont tell people how to spend their money on shit. Ask them questions and treat them how youd want to be treated after making a purchase or considering one. Bonus, read Baudrillard and Guy Debord's writing to understand media and consumerism in a late stage global capitalist world as these concepts are quite interesting if not dumbfoundingly hard to follow.

forum member B, if you want to waste your time having some sort of debate about objective aspects of speakers, maybe find someone that understands ohm ratings with amps and speakers. I personally wont be responding to your bad faith insertions here on out. regardless of how right you are your motivations are known when you prove you cant handle your own advice. see ya!
:facepalm:

ivanj

Better: 'I don't understand why people invest time writing such screeds', or, 'I don't understand why people write such screeds.'

Sorry, I used to teach at what used to be a 'better' university. No offense meant, your point is a good one.:)

PGAMiami

Thanks for the reply. I just reached out to Benchmark via phone and talked to a nice gentleman with professionalisms and information about the ohm ratings discussed above, and this rep explained that these stated numbers are not about matching with speakers. They have these amplifiers stress tested with a 1khz signal ran at maximum output to get the numbers we see on their site/manuals. He explained that they frequently pair their amps with 1 and 2 ohm speakers no problem at their facility, and they also have partnered with Martin Logan and other speaker makers for shows to great success with the amps and speakers both having no problems.
I assume you spoke to Rory at Benchmark. I made a similar call before purchasing AHB2s for my TAD R1s. Rory assured me that they would work fine and he was correct. Mine are in bridged mode, which in a way stresses the amp's current capabilities a bit more. But again, Rory said they would be fine, and they are. These amps are fantastic, I doubt there is much out there that would sound better with your speakers.

However, the one thing I would recommend is to have someone like Mitch Barnett create a well designed convolution filter for your speakers in your room. That is the single biggest game changer I've implemented in my room optimizing the TADs. A well designed convolution filter running on a PC or on Roon with five figure number of taps will blow your mind.

You would be surprised how much of a difference DSP makes, but there is a huge difference between a convolution filter designed on something like Audiolense and what you get out of most home audio gear, or even REW. My R1s never sounded quite right, even after extensive room treatments by RPG, etc. You can dial in with DSP exactly the sound signature you like, and the improvements in timbre and imaging are extraordinary.

I love how my system sounds now, and I feel no need to mess around trying to get a certain sound from a DAC or amp. But the acid test for me was a few weeks ago when I invited an old friend that is a vintage audio, tubes and horns, LP lover to listen. I was expecting he would not like my digital set up, but he was shocked on how “organic” it sounded, but with a clarity and dynamics that vintage gear simply does not have enough signal to noise to reproduce.

Last edited:
OP
I assume you spoke to Rory at Benchmark. I made a similar call before purchasing AHB2s for my TAD R1s. Rory assured me that they would work fine and he was correct. Mine are in bridged mode, which in a way stresses the amp's current capabilities a bit more. But again, Rory said they would be fine, and they are. These amps are fantastic, I doubt there is much out there that would sound better with your speakers.

However, the one thing I would recommend is to have someone like Mitch Barnett create a well designed convolution filter for your speakers in your room. That is the single biggest game changer I've implemented in my room optimizing the TADs. A well designed convolution filter running on a PC or on Roon with five figure number of taps will blow your mind.

You would be surprised how much of a difference DSP makes, but there is a huge difference between a convolution filter designed on something like Audiolense and what you get out of most home audio gear, or even REW. My R1s never sounded quite right, even after extensive room treatments by RPG, etc. You can dial in with DSP exactly the sound signature you like, and the improvements in timbre and imaging are extraordinary.

I love how my system sounds now, and I feel no need to mess around trying to get a certain sound from a DAC or amp. But the acid test for me was a few weeks ago when I invited an old friend that is a vintage audio, tubes and horns, LP lover to listen. I was expecting he would not like my digital set up, but he was shocked on how “organic” it sounded, but with a clarity and dynamics that vintage gear simply does not have enough signal to noise to reproduce.
I went with the Apollon dual mono amp and it sounds very good with the speakers. I am currently set to build some sound panels. I have double french doors on the wall facing entry with the room being 18' long and 16' wide. Currently the system is on on the side walls that are closer together, but with 2 massive sound panels filling in the doors I will set it up for more depth and better room acoustics. I was recently checking out REW methods on youtube. I really appreciate the insights on what knocked your socks off and I am interested to learn more. I have plans on getting a better sub as I LOVE bass. Do you think a convolution filter could be mimicked or designed around a physical EQ or does the filter need more bands?

Edit for clarity: I have been considering the Schiit remote EQ because I have realized how much highs can fatigue me.

PGAMiami

I went with the Apollon dual mono amp and it sounds very good with the speakers. I am currently set to build some sound panels. I have double french doors on the wall facing entry with the room being 18' long and 16' wide. Currently the system is on on the side walls that are closer together, but with 2 massive sound panels filling in the doors I will set it up for more depth and better room acoustics. I was recently checking out REW methods on youtube. I really appreciate the insights on what knocked your socks off and I am interested to learn more. I have plans on getting a better sub as I LOVE bass. Do you think a convolution filter could be mimicked or designed around a physical EQ or does the filter need more bands?

Edit for clarity: I have been considering the Schiit remote EQ because I have realized how much highs can fatigue me.
My convolution filter has over 50,000 taps. I doubt you can achieve similar results with a parametric EQ or even with REW designing a convolution filter. I tried. Wasn’t even close but I expect this also depends on how bad the room is. Highly recommend hiring someone like Mitch Barnett. Next best would be to buy Audiolense and try doing it yourself but I still would recommend having Mitch involved

OP
Whats the price diff between buying it and getting help and just paying someone after what I assume would be me doing some measurements in room. Also, if the speakers change I am sure the filter is useless, right? I would probably wait until I am completely fixed on a pair of speakers and a sub or 2 before going all in on some premium measurement help unless its not pretty expensive like I am imagining. If ya told ball park numbers its not like I would hold anyone to them knowing every room and pair of speakers is different.

PGAMiami

Whats the price diff between buying it and getting help and just paying someone after what I assume would be me doing some measurements in room. Also, if the speakers change I am sure the filter is useless, right? I would probably wait until I am completely fixed on a pair of speakers and a sub or 2 before going all in on some premium measurement help unless its not pretty expensive like I am imagining. If ya told ball park numbers its not like I would hold anyone to them knowing every room and pair of speakers is different.

This is the link to Mitch’s website. You take your own measurements and send them to Mitch, it’s very simple to do with REW. The real work is designing the convolution filter. If you move the speakers to a different location, you need to redo the process. Certainly so if you get new speakers. Mitch has written extensively on this subject. I’m not in any way affiliated with him, just a very satisfied customer that wasted a great deal of money on expensive audiophile solutions prior to doing this.

OP
Thanks. I will be redesigning my listening space and adding room treatments that I think will only benefit me in the end. I can imagine putting all the gear in front of 4 pre civil war doors made of cherry on the bottom half and glass windows on the top half will really throw things off. Just as important to me, I re-finished these doors a few years ago and the AC vent blows down on them, so when the sun is hitting (even hotter now days than it was back when I re-did them) a ton of water beads up then rolls down them. Thanks again for the info.

Top Bottom