• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Being an audiophile is a lonely hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because our hobby is kind of solitary doesn't mean that we all are socially awkward. I'm pretty confident to say that I ain't.

Same here. I present at lot at work and usually don't say silent for many minutes in social gatherings. I also have a hobbies where I train with other people exclusively.

...but I'm also an introvert and need my alone time. Hifi and gym are good options for doing something alone while restoring energy.

So, I don't believe there as much socially awkward or autistic people in hifi, but maybe the most extroverted people are not the ones to enjoy measurements and tweaking that much. :)

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whether we wish to address it or not, the vast majority of us audiophiles are on the autistic spectrum.

Citation needed.

I'm on the spectrum, and it certainly led to me being into geeky hobbies, but as for the hobby as a whole? I'd need to see some data. And that data would be hard to get because there are lots of people walking around who have no idea they're on the spectrum. My dad went his whole life and didn't know until we talked about some years ago after my diagnosis.

I also go to lots of sci-fi cons where you can't throw a stone without hitting someone who is on the spectrum, and I meet tons of people who don't care about audio, stereos, or tech in general.

Many of us are capable of limited social interaction and excellent at being flatscreen warriors when the situation calls for it.

Being neuro-divergent certainly leads to loneliness for many. Myself included.

I'm on the spectrum myself. Autistics have very refined senses and can hear frequencies, tones, and sounds that nonautistics cannot.

I am a recording engineer and I have clients tell me I hear things other people aren't hearing. And it does seem to make me better at my job. I've always suspected it was true, but since I don't know what "normal" neuro-typical hearing is like, I have no idea what it is that I'm hearing differently.

Audiophilia and the pursuit of better tone/sound is a solitary pursuit. Music/hifi is a big part of that solace
It is for me, but as I said above, I know tons of ASD people who couldn't care less about audio.

Digby

Major Contributor
If you are going to label audiophiles/music aficionados using science then you need proof. You don't use science and simultaneously use this website.
Are you French Canadian, because I feel this may be a language barrier issue we're having here. I don't know how I could be much clearer about what I'm saying and yet you misunderstand, so either you are French speaking or.....you are saying we're not allowed to have the discussion...I dunno?

I suppose I could gather proof, but as I said I am speculating, not writing a proper study. Given the things we know about autistic people (not music aficionados - as I already said, that is not the same thing), it isn't a leap to think there would be more autistic people identifying as audiophiles (which requires not insignificant interest in the reproducing equipment) than in any general gathering.

Why must things be like pulling teeth sometimes? If you disagree, feel free to disagree, but you are not disagreeing, instead perhaps inferring the topic is off limits....I dunno, it isn't entirely clear.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you French Canadian, because I feel this may be a language barrier issue we're having here. I don't know how I could be much clearer about what I'm saying and yet you misunderstand, so either you are French speaking or.....you are saying we're not allowed to have the discussion...I dunno?

I suppose I could gather proof, but as I said I am speculating, not writing a proper study. Given the things we know about autistic people (not music aficionados - as I already said, that is not the same thing), it isn't a leap to think there would be more autistic people identifying as audiophiles (which requires not insignificant interest in the reproducing equipment) than in any general gathering.

Why must things be like pulling teeth sometimes? If you disagree, feel free to disagree, but you are not disagreeing, instead perhaps inferring the topic is off limits....I dunno, it isn't entirely clear.
I've been very clear. You then label me as French Canadian. More silly stuff.

Digby

Major Contributor
I've been very clear. You then label me as French Canadian. More silly stuff.
How is it silly? I ask others to comment if my English is unclear. I said there is likely, as far as I can tell, more autistic people who identify as audiophiles (hardly an untenable position). You said I can't say this because it is labelling, my answer to that is what is wrong with the label? It is not derogatory. Many use the labels autistic and audiophile for themselves....where is the problem?

Next you say I must have proof (as if much exists and I can summon it on demand for such an obscure topic) that what I say it true. I inform you it is speculation and that speculation forms the basis of science. I didn't say it was the last word on anything.

If you don't want to participate in the thread, you needn't do so - as one of our mod's handles says 'you needn't be present at every argument'. If you feel you can't benefit from the discussion, others may feel differently. Why not just leave them to it?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How is it silly? I ask others to comment if my English is unclear. I said there is likely, as far as I can tell, more autistic people who identify as audiophiles (hardly an untenable position). You said I can't say this because it is labelling, my answer to that is what is wrong with the label? It is not derogatory. Many use the labels autistic and audiophile for themselves....where is the problem?

Next you say I must have proof (as if much exists and I can summon it on demand for such an obscure topic) that what I say it true. I inform you it is speculation and that speculation forms the basis of science. I didn't say it was the last word on anything.

If you don't want to participate in the thread, you needn't do so - as one of our mod's handles says 'you needn't be present at every argument'. If you feel you can't benefit from the discussion, others may feel differently. Why not just leave them to it?
You are like a old dog with a bone. Just can't stop chomping on it.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

How can it be derogatory when I’m diagnosed with the condition myself?

What it is negative is the stereotype and negative opinion/view that “normal” people and society have of autistics.

They consider it undesirable and a curse. If they could, they'd banish the condition from the human genome. They’re afraid their kids could turn out autistic. Afraid that vaccines could possibly transform them.

Yet there are papers and studies that argue that autistic people have been on this earth since early days and played a big role in the advancement of human societies.

That’s where the problem lies. Normal people get offended that they could possibly be considered autistic. They see it as an insult.

Thousands and thousands who believe themselves to be “normal” are actually on the spectrum. They would refuse to believe it and even close themselves to the possibility as they have been brainwashed by society to believe is a curse.

“I don’t want to be a weirdo, I could never be that, I’m normal”

yet back in early times, autistic people were probably celebrated, respected, and considered wise men with knowledge, self preservation instincts, etc

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
You are like a old dog with a bone. Just can't stop chomping on it.
Not true, I'm putting you on mute - other than (deliberately?) derailing the discussion, I'm not sure what this back and forth (over seemingly nothing) you are pursuing with me adds to the thread. I think other people can benefit, so I'm not engaging any further. Maybe it is because you are injured and that has something to do with it. I hope you get well soon, then we can get back to it (hopefully in a productive way), but for the time being you are on mute. cheers

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It doesn’t have to be lonely at all, if you integrate your hi-fi with your tv/av then the whole family can enjoy it, and it makes sense to get the maximum value from expensive equipment.
I have never understood the chin stroking ‘audiophile’ who locks themselves away from their family, depends upon the family I suppose!
Keith

dasdoing

Major Contributor
though I must agree to some degree, on the other hand, I would love (and I love) thousands of people to experience the same sound with me.

I feel kind of autistic sometimes, but I always question who really is trying to escape reality. the mainstream lives an illusion, as Plato already described it. How do you integrate into a fantasy you are aware of? Only alcohol does it for me hahaha

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
though I must agree to some degree, on the other hand, I would love (and I love) thousands of people to experience the same sound with me.

Most cannot and most don't want to. Come to think of it, I think the same is true for all of my hobbies and my work. Majority of people are just fine with half-assing things, even their hobbies. And who is to say it isn't the way that makes them the happiest.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Lumping people into groups with labels is not the way to openly engage our audience. My opinion only, is that the term “Audiophile” has negative connotations due to their propensity to hear things that can not be measured or verified, buy ridiculously expensive equipment and agonize over the cables and power cords and transparent DACs.

My opinion again. The majority of our Members would not refer to themselves as Audiophiles. They (we) are lovers of Music and Science. Our goals are to make/create/build a Music reproduction system that is Scientifically and Musically as pure and accurate as current engineering skills and knowledge permits. We seek the truth of things and challenge unproven claims and concepts. We obsess over measurements and data rather than cables and magic fuses.

Engineers and Scientists who Love Music and the science of same. True Audiophiles crash and burn in our environment. Not intentionally on our part. They make far too many unproven and scientifically improbable claims. When they choose to mount a defense for these claims is how they terminate their membership. Some stay long enough for the facts to become self evident and they cease being Audiophiles and become a Music Lover who follows the science.

The above is 100% my opinion based on my personal observations of our Community of which I claim to be a member. :cool:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Whether we wish to address it or not, the vast majority of us audiophiles are on the autistic spectrum. Many of us are capable of limited social interaction and excellent at being flatscreen warriors when the situation calls for it.
https://forum.audiogon.com/posts/2147079 ;)

In light of our current findings, we suggest that increased auditory capacity might, in part, underlie the superior performance observed on tasks of auditory processing. If autistic individuals were able to process more information at any given time, performance would be enhanced on tasks that require participants to memorize and discriminate pitch and melodies. Conversely, this same increase in capacity could be detrimental to task performance in other situations: giving rise to additional auditory processing that results in distractibility, over-arousal and hyperacusis.
As such, we view the present findings as the starting point for an interesting line of subsequent experimental and applied research.

JSmith

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Apparently this Conversation/Thread is a regurgitation of a thread started in another Audio Forum. Thanks to @JSmith for pointing this out.

This now smells like a Troll feeding attempt by OP. Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that this was not the intention. Think it best to close this for these stated reasons.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom