• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Being an audiophile is a lonely hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancreas

Whether we wish to address it or not, the vast majority of us audiophiles are on the autistic spectrum. Many of us are capable of limited social interaction and excellent at being flatscreen warriors when the situation calls for it.

I'm on the spectrum myself. Autistics have very refined senses and can hear frequencies, tones, and sounds that nonautistics cannot.

Audiophilia and the pursuit of better tone/sound is a solitary pursuit. Music/hifi is a big part of that solace

yogr6fs4fqe81.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Digby

Major Contributor
Huh? Not sure what that would have to do with anything. Focusing on different things, sure, but actually hearing different things?
As far as I know this is true, but more a case of (increased) perception, rather than any superhuman abilities.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i would agree that some aspects would tend to suit autists

but remember there are also audio shows (not here but in other parts of the civilised world)

i think the other side is obvious... people need to buy stuff, from shops... and so you have some kind of interaction there but of course, our Chinese friends are doing there bit to minimise that

there's a lot of hobbies that tend to suit... loners?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Autistics have very refined senses and can hear frequencies, tones, and sounds that nonautistics cannot.
...Maybe it's my English, but in my book, autism and autistic disorders are diagnosed pathologies and not some gimmick buzzwords...:rolleyes:
the vast majority of us audiophiles are on the autistic spectrum.
So, no. Just nope.

Audiophilia and the pursuit of better tone/sound is a solitary pursuit.
Because our hobby is kind of solitary doesn't mean that we all are socially awkward. I'm pretty confident to say that I ain't.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to think some people take up the hobby to find friends with similar inclinations.

Digby

Major Contributor
I would hazard a guess that the technical side of music appreciation (the equipment) has higher percentages of autistic people (properly diagnosed or otherwise), than the general 'music appreciator' category - if I was to bet, probably vinyl, horns, valves and other such esoteric side alleys probably have higher autism rates than general audiophile population.

Using mental diagnosis terminology to label groups of peeps is demeaning and belittling to those that have such a diagnosis.
I don't believe it was intended to be derogatory and AFAICS, it is probably factually correct. Not the 'vast majority', but that there are higher rates among audiophiles, than in general population.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would hazard a guess that the technical side of music appreciation (the equipment) has higher percentages of autistic people (properly diagnosed or otherwise), than the general 'music appreciator' category - if I was to bet, probably vinyl, horns, valves and other such esoteric side alleys probably have higher autism rates than general audiophile population.
You can hazard all you want but I don't think autistic people are concentrated in audio pursuits.
I don't believe it was intended to be derogatory and AFAICS, it is probably factually correct. Not the 'vast majority', but that there are higher rates among audiophiles, than in general population.
Probably factually correct is a stretch. The appreciation of music is pursued around the world by many kinds of people. The diversity and mix is huge and not autistic people.

Digby

Major Contributor
You can hazard all you want but I don't think autistic people are concentrated in audio pursuits.
That isn't what I said. They are obviously not 'only' audiophiles, but are there are probably more who consider themselves such (as a percentage of all that consider themselves audiophiles) than in the general population - two different things.

Probably factually correct is a stretch. The appreciation of music is pursued around the world by many kinds of people. The diversity and mix is huge and not autistic people.
The topic is about audiophiles, if you stretch to include everyone who appreciates music, then of course you will be correct, but that is not what is being discussed.

I don't understand what would be wrong about speculating, one way or another, if there are more or not. Nobody is using this information to have a go at anyone else.

Are you saying the discussion itself should be off limits for some reason or other?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That isn't what I said. They are obviously not 'only' audiophiles, but are there are probably more who consider themselves such (as a percentage of all that consider themselves audiophiles) than in the general population - two different things.

The topic is about audiophiles, if you stretch to include everyone who appreciates music, then of course you will be correct, but that is not what is being discussed.

I don't understand what would be wrong about speculating, one way or another, if there were or not. Nobody is using this information to have a go at anyone else.

Are you saying the discussion itself should be off limits for some reason or other?
I'm saying this is a science based website with millions of viewers.

Digby

Major Contributor
What do you mean by that? Doesn't all science (including social science) start with either observation and/or speculation as to x thing, then sets out to see whether that thing is correct or not.

Whether it is science based or not doesn't stop us having a discussion, does it....? I'm honestly perplexed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean by that? Doesn't all science (including social science) start with either observation and/or speculation as to x thing, then sets out to see whether that thing is correct or not.

Whether it is science based or not doesn't stop us having a discussion, does it....? I'm honestly perplexed.
If you are going to label audiophiles/music aficionados using science then you need proof. You don't use science and simultaneously use this website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom