• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer B2030P Studio Monitor Review

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once more we see that a good spinorama is more important than a flat on-axis FR, since we can fix minor shortcomings with EQ.

Regarding brightness: I've read that the originals (Genelec 1030) also were on the bright side. Can someone comment on this?

uwotm8

These are "Chinelec", they clearly tried to copy classic (and outdated as well) Genelec model(s).
Not bad overall but there were some QC issues when Behrs were actively selling.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Noaudiophile has a review of the 2031A with DSP corrections.

http://noaudiophile.com/Behringer_Truth_B2031A/
Yah, I do know about that review.
I am still interested in the B2031A being tested here due to how famous it has been as a one and done for the Audiophile fix. However that said I am aware that other speakers may be more interesting in the long run. These Behringers are just so inexpensive, it makes it easy to buy for testing.

I do like no Audiophile, well does one really "like" him or tolerate him?? He is one negative reviewer dude but that seems to work... Ha, ha.

mrmoizy

That's correct. Mic is positioned very close to the driver. With woofer this works well because tweeter is directional and hence its output does not get picked up by the mic. Reverse is not true in that when the tweeter response gets weak, the mic picks up the woofer sound.

When there are bi-wire terminals, I can disconnect the tweeter but can't here short of disassembling the speaker which I don't do.
Gotcha, thank you! That makes more sense then in interpreting the tweeter's response on that chart. I wonder then if the 800hz resonance is coming from the ports flanking the tweeter?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Gotcha, thank you! That makes more sense then in interpreting the tweeter's response on that chart. I wonder then if the 800hz resonance is coming from the ports flanking the tweeter?
I thought about that but due to the location of them being so close to tweeter I did not try to measure them.

I think with the broad distortion band, it doesn't look like a modal resonance inside the cabinet.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I thought about that but due to the location of them being so close to tweeter I did not try to measure them.

I think with the broad distortion band, it doesn't look like a modal resonance inside the cabinet.
I have seen other reviews of the Truth line claim that 800hrz resonance is coming from those ports.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice, now I really hope the B2031A will be sent by someone.
Agreed. I had a pair attached to electronic drum kit some time ago, and they did well in that role. I would love to know how they perform across the audio band.

wwenze

Major Contributor
index.php

With this 32-tone IMD, ASR will be at the forefront of the "Does measurements matter" controversy when >$1000 speakers exhibit high IMD.

KEF coaxials:
245.gif

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have seen other reviews of the Truth line claim that 800hrz resonance is coming from those ports.
Well it would if it is generated by the woofer as well. The only way to be sure is to test the woofer by itself outside this box.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
That's correct. Mic is positioned very close to the driver. With woofer this works well because tweeter is directional and hence its output does not get picked up by the mic. Reverse is not true in that when the tweeter response gets weak, the mic picks up the woofer sound.

When there are bi-wire terminals, I can disconnect the tweeter but can't here short of disassembling the speaker which I don't do.

Suggestion:

Would an isolation cylinder / cone placed around the woofer/tweeter help in isolating the readings for the tweeter in this case / similar cases, since you are putting the microphone really close to the tweeter?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Suggestion:

Would an isolation cylinder / cone placed around the woofer/tweeter help in isolating the readings for the tweeter in this case / similar cases, since you are putting the microphone really close to the tweeter?

If it reflects the sound from the woofer, it can also reflect the sound from the tweeter = bad idea
Absorption might work

Isn't this reminiscent of the reasoning behind LC and CLC filter. C to absorb the load's variation, L to block the source's variation.

whazzup

Probably an elementary question, but trying to understand this statement by Amir:
Impedance is surprisingly high (and hence good) in bass

My initial understanding was that lower impedance helps speakers go louder because current is higher, but amplifier electronics needs to be better overall to support that. While high impedance in speakers means it's an 'easier load' on the amplifier electronics.

So this chart shows 13-6 ohms in the bass region. So this is good for allowing speakers to produce more bass?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably an elementary question, but trying to understand this statement by Amir:
Impedance is surprisingly high (and hence good) in bass

My initial understanding was that lower impedance helps speakers go louder because current is higher, but amplifier electronics needs to be better overall to support that. While high impedance in speakers means it's an 'easier load' on the amplifier electronics.

So this chart shows 13-6 ohms in the bass region. So this is good for allowing speakers to produce more bass?
Wattage = Vrms^2 / impedance

2.83Vrms gives 1W into 8ohm and 2W into 4ohm.
Speaker sensitivity is typically given at 2.83Vrms, so a 4ohm speaker and an 8ohk speaker with the same sensitivity should get equally loud all else equal.

However, this means your amp should ideally be sending out 2x the wattage into 4ohm compared to 8ohm. If you look at measurements, this is pretty much never the case, some get like +90% or higher, but probably +75% is typical, with some doing almost no more compared to 8ohm.

Bass is going to be the most taxing, and since phase also plays a role (0° has no effect, but higher angles lower the effective impedance, 45° requires the amp to draw 2x power to produce the needed wattage), high impedance in the bass means your amp will not be asked to drive a very difficult load.

whazzup

However, this means your amp should ideally be sending out 2x the wattage into 4ohm compared to 8ohm. If you look at measurements, this is pretty much never the case, some get like +90% or higher, but probably +75% is typical, with some doing almost no more compared to 8ohm.

Thanks!

So what you're saying is, as long as the speaker has sufficient sensitivity, it is generally better to have higher impedance in speakers, because amplifiers that truly can push higher wattage at lower impedance levels consistently are harder to find?

miero

Well it would if it is generated by the woofer as well. The only way to be sure is to test the woofer by itself outside this box.
You can fill those ports with some cloth and put a tape on them to have flat surface and remeasure... :)

NoAudiophile

I thought about that but due to the location of them being so close to tweeter I did not try to measure them. I think with the broad distortion band, it doesn't look like a modal resonance inside the cabinet.

I did some port plugging tests and probing of the ports with the measurement mic, but I don't remember anything particular showing up. I have a feeling that it's woofer related, and not a port leaking issue.

I found I really enjoyed the tweeters on my pair of 2031A's much more without the grills and diffuser on them. If you are up for it, I would love to see if you get similar results.

Top Bottom