• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moving to separates...I think.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Or you could just split a single set of outputs between sub amp and power amp too. Most subs don't have a crossover and neither do many 2ch pre-amps/amps like this.
This might seem technically unsophisticated ("brute force") but it's absolutely true. A pair of simple Y-cables will work fine to split the output (e.g., from that little box of Schiit :)) and get the (full range) signal to a subwoofer. If (!) you employ a powered subwoofer with onboard XO or DSP, the subwoofer can do all the heavy lifting.

Here's my little powered subwoofer, e.g.

In full disclosure, there is a second 15" driver mounted on the bottom side of the enclosure as well - not visible in this photo. The amp/XO/DSP is a modest little Dayton Audio Class D subwoofer plate amp seen sitting atop the subwoofer in a rough 'n' tumble "enclosure".

I feed the subwoofer from a pair of paralleled unbalanced outputs from my little TVC (transformer volume control) attenuator/switch box, while feeding the other pair of outputs to the amplifier.

Note the three pairs of stereo unbalanced line level inputs on the left and the two pairs of stereo unbalanced line level outputs on the right in the lower photo.

In practice, things today at my house are configured in a bit more complex way than this -- but I used the system for years without any further complication than as described above (i.e., with no active preamp stage at all).

OP
D

Dom Cobb

This might seem technically unsophisticated ("brute force") but it's absolutely true. A pair of simple Y-cables will work fine to split the output (e.g., from that little box of Schiit :)) and get the (full range) signal to a subwoofer. If (!) you employ a powered subwoofer with onboard XO or DSP, the subwoofer can do all the heavy lifting.

Here's my little powered subwoofer, e.g.

In full disclosure, there is a second 15" driver mounted on the bottom side of the enclosure as well - not visible in this photo. The amp/XO/DSP is a modest little Dayton Audio Class D subwoofer plate amp seen sitting atop the subwoofer in a rough 'n' tumble "enclosure".

I feed the subwoofer from a pair of paralleled unbalanced outputs from my little TVC (transformer volume control) attenuator/switch box, while feeding the other pair of outputs to the amplifier.

Note the three pairs of stereo unbalanced line level inputs on the left and the two pairs of stereo unbalanced line level outputs on the right in the lower photo.

In practice, things today at my house are configured in a bit more complex way than this -- but I used the system for years without any further complication than as described above (i.e., with no active preamp stage at all).
This is awesome.

Top Bottom